The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Anyone get the Dec/Jan or Feb/March issues of Kidabra? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
magic4kids
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of magic4kids
Harlin, I agree with you 100%. The journal has been running behind for about 2 years now, if rember correctly. I believe it was mentioned in an email update from Mark and Tami that they are dealing with some family issues concerning their paernts and that has contributed to the journal being delayed. I am VERY sympathetic when it comes to caring for elderly parents, having recently lost my own parents.
However, there is a business/organization to be run and for the journal to be three issues behind is completely unacceptable,in my opinion.
I am considering if I want to renew my membership. One can argue that it is "just a magazine", but the fact is its a great magazine and major part of our membership dues. My 2 cents.
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
Tommy...If I had a heart, I'd be touched...I'd say I'm touched in the head, but that is Gary's domain..LOL
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
idomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Denver, CO
255 Posts

Profile of idomagic
I'm a new member and have not received a thing since I joined in February. Now that I read this I sadly see this is par for the course. It seems apparent to me the powers that be are overwhelmed.

I organized and chaired the board for the first 8 years for a large retail trade group in the US back in my former life. I was even given the lifetime achievement award in 2004 (http://www.covr.org/covr-awards/previous-years/2004-awards) just after retiring from the industry and moving into magic full time. I can't believe that was almost 8 years ago. I also served on several non and not for profit boards and am a past president for an SAM assembly and IBM ring with over 100 members... So why do I share this?

Organizations are only as strong as their members. Perhaps we collectively need to look at helping Kidabra work better. Since I have no idea how it works or how it has worked, I can't offer suggestions, but I can say I'll step up and do what I can. I can offer advice from my experiences with other organizations and within magic.

Maybe we collectible need to be proactive, it appears to me Mark and Tami might appreciate it. But of course, I don't know if there are politics involved, like I said, I'm a noob in Kidabra.
Chad Wonder (Chad Wonder Magic, Inc)
Past President SAM 37/IBM 131 (Mile High Magicians)
www.idomagic.com
www.iDOMAGIC.dev
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Chad, up until the last issues, the Journal has always been on time and well worth the wait. I know personally that Tami and Mark are working feverishly to get the last missing issue up and out along with the current issue. After that, we'll be back on track. Everyone hits a rough spot now and then - but, we're pulling through!

As for politics in KIDabra - Tami and Mark welcome all offers to help and rely heavily on the efforts of folks like Dennis Michael, Ken Scott, Tate Elliot, myself and a host of other KIDabra fans and family members.

By the way - Welcome to the family!

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
harlin
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of harlin
I am not sure if you are totally correct Skip, but I am not going to argue the point. I do know that it took several, yes several emails and phone calls to even get a response from them. I for one am not a real happy camper. But such is life and I will get over it. And yes I have heard that politics or clics do exist but they do everywhere. I am coming to Kidabra and hopefully all my issues will be taken care by it being the best convention I have ever attented.
Harlin
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Harlin, you're always going to have select groups of people form within an organization of any size. KIDabra is no different.

That said, I've been attending magic and entertainment conventions and conferences since the early 70's and always felt like an outsider until I hit KIDabra. The top performers and lecturers take time to say hello and to pass the time. They take the time to answer questions and help one another. They have their "cliques," sure...everyone wants to see old friends and hang with those with whom they have the most in common. But, they're not stand-offish or snobbish by any means.

You have to keep in mind that KIDabra is Mark & Tami's baby. They don't have a paid staff to keep things moving smoothly. Mark is a very busy school and library performer with contracts all over the eastern states. Tami is busy caring for the home front and two very active and gifted sons. The entire family has faced health and family issues that eat up time and energy.

It's easy to get overwhelmed - even with the support of those of us who are there to lend a hand when asked. If they missed your emails, there's probably a pretty good reason. I'm willing to give them the benefit of a doubt in return for all I gain from the organization, Journal and conference.

If you (and others) have a suggestion for improving their service to KIDabra members, I know they're ready to listen. See you in August!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I have to ditto what Skip said. To harlan I would have to say there have not been too many late issues. Yes the issue at hand was late but it has been explained why. It is my understanding that if for some reason if someone does not get a issue after it has left the printing comapany Tami sends one personally from the extra they get. Needless to say the journal is well worth the little money that is paid for it.

As to politics cliques? Skip said it best. But for those that have never been to a kidabra I think it best to see if that statement is true by attending instead of hearing it from someone else.

I am surprised at the harsh comments.

Ken Scott
idomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Denver, CO
255 Posts

Profile of idomagic
Thanks for the welcome. I do hope that whatever appears to be not working at full efficiency to cause this thread gets addressed. It certainly appears the proactive members are working towards that end.

See you in August if I can free up the time!
www.idomagic.com
www.iDOMAGIC.dev
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On 2011-04-29 18:38, Skip Way wrote:

That said, I've been attending magic and entertainment conventions and conferences since the early 70's and always felt like an outsider until I hit KIDabra. The top performers and lecturers take time to say hello and to pass the time. They take the time to answer questions and help one another. They have their "cliques," sure...everyone wants to see old friends and hang with those with whom they have the most in common. But, they're not stand-offish or snobbish by any means.

That is a totally false statement. I was at Kidabra in August and I tried to talk to Skip. He looked at me, put his nose up in the air and walked away! Smile

All kidding aside . . . I can understand the concerns with some members being frustrated. I personally know two people that STILL haven't received their Dec/Jan Journal. I finally received mine last week. Yahoooo!!!!!!!!!!! I have to contact Tami and Mark for @ 10 more of these because my family and friends want a copy Smile Smile Smile Smile

Skip is right. I am confident you can walk up to any Kidabra staff member (except Ken) or performer and you will be treated like a brother or sister.

(Just kidding Ken!)

I loved the line by Mark in the front of the journal where he calls me a "wisecracking funny man." I THINK that's a compliment lol

Tommy
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2011-04-30 08:58, TommyJ wrote:

I was at Kidabra in August and I tried to talk to Skip. He looked at me, put his nose up in the air and walked away! Smile
Tommy

That wasn't you, Tommy. Jimbo was standing behind you eying my pulled pork sandwich and cupcake. I was merely rescuing my lunch!! Smile

harlin
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of harlin
I am attending this year so I will be able to see for myself. I still think quick response is the way to run a business and yes Kidabra is a business. Believe it or not I am excited to come to Kidabra to see people I know plus meet the ones I hear and read about. I also know at any conference you get out of it what you put into it, such is life. So there will always be those that clic together and those that stand by the wayside, sounded churchy didn't it, and I plan on doing all I can so I really know if I want to continue or not. So I can make up my own mind.
As far as the journal being late it could be where I live but it is rarely on time. I will admitt not usually this late but always a couple of weeks. But like I said way out here that could be normal.
Just my opinon and thanks for listening.
Harlin
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
There is only one conference that leaves the egos outside and that is KIDabra. If I had to say one negative thing about KIDabra it would be the fact it runs 24/7 all week, with lots of socialization, family things to do, that exhaustion sets in. Yes, I get tired, but never to tired to help out anyone I can that come to KIDabra.

Jimbo knows this all to well! I gave my staff shirt right off my back, for such a swell guy who wanted one and they were all going.

In between breaths, there is a lot of help from many others, including "party king"...Ken Scott, News Reporter Skip Way, the counsel of Tate's wisdom, and most of all the warm and kindness from Mark and Tami. As a matter of fact, I could list them all and say what a big help they all are doing to make KIDabra such a success.

KIDabra is the best keep secret, which we are tying to let the world know about! For so many you get hooked for life!

Publishing a Journal is not an easy task and it is very difficult to keep on schedule, especially when one knows how the illness of a loved one zaps the time so quickly. I know this all too well! Everything seems to always come together, just keep that in mind.

KIDabra is coming up real fast, its only a few months away.

Dennis
Dennis Michael
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Trying to get an organization up and running AND growing is a monumental task for anyone. I an not a member (I generally am a stage magician), but am thinking of joining since I DO have lots of families and kids at my show. PLUS I am starting to do parties and things in order to help pay for this bad habit we call magic.

I just have to wait awhile, since I have joined both the IBM and the SAM in recent months.

Scholarships, anyone? LOL.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
idomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Denver, CO
255 Posts

Profile of idomagic
But still, I am a new member and have barely received an email. No membership info, no magazine, just a bill to my cc and a call I made to Tami to make sure I was set up. I'm not complaining, and I look forward to the Kidabra conference if I can go dark that week, but my membership doesn't pay for the convention, it's supposed to pay for other "perks" right? Just my two-cents.
www.idomagic.com
www.iDOMAGIC.dev
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Agreed, Chad. There are definitely some "customer service" issues here. It sounds like they are a shoestring operation without much help. If there are family health issues (as was stated earlier), that can take up tons of time.

That being said, when running a business, all loose ends must be taken care of...even in the face of personal issues.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Membership in KIDabra has its benefits:

• Affordable K&K liability insurance

• Free member websites

• The KIDabra Journal (certainly the best kidshow entertainer's journal out there)

• Access to the annual conference and the largest live kidshow magic auction in the world

• Direct, friendly and supportive access to nearly every top kidshow entertainer on the world market and, most important of all

• International recognition of kidshow entertainers as true and valued peers within the greater magic community.

It's all there. It may not be valet delivered to your door - but KIDabra puts it all well within reach of any member.

If you want more, speak up. Suggest a new benefit AND explain how to provide it. Mark & Tami are always open to new ideas.

Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 08:43, Skip Way wrote:
Membership in KIDabra has its benefits:

• Affordable K&K liability insurance

• Free member websites

• The KIDabra Journal (certainly the best kidshow entertainer's journal out there)

• Access to the annual conference and the largest live kidshow magic auction in the world

• Direct, friendly and supportive access to nearly every top kidshow entertainer on the world market and, most important of all

• International recognition of kidshow entertainers as true and valued peers within the greater magic community.

It's all there. It may not be valet delivered to your door - but KIDabra puts it all well within reach of any member.

If you want more, speak up. Suggest a new benefit AND explain how to provide it. Mark & Tami are always open to new ideas.

Skip:

I don't think it's the benefits that people were complaining about. It is obvious that the membership is a good value...it is the fact that folks haven't received their journal, or that new members have received zero contact since they joined 7 moths ago.

THAT is a problem that must be addressed...or members will get very frustrated. Even a giant one-time e-mail blast to all members giving a brief apology and explanation of the issue would go a long way toward keeping the membership happy.

I will likely join this organization...but I think I am going to wait until they get some of these issues ironed out...and until I have some extra cash.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Mike, Mark & Tami send a KIDabra newsletter/email to members at the beginning of every month. As Dennis Michael posted at the beginning of this thread, the April email had this:

"So where is the Journal? by Mark and Tami Daniel

It's coming, (The Tommy James issue is next) however apologies and explanations are due. Maybe you've noticed were further behind than usual. While we mention family details briefly, and on occasion, please forgive this inside glimpse of our family news.

Since December 28th, my dad, Bob Daniel, 80, has been in and out of the hospital with complications of congestive heart failure and endless doctors appointments, 95 percent of which we, mostly Tami, accompany him to, many taking all day, often several times a week, mix in my mom, Velma, with dementia, and our lives have been hectic. We are honored to help our folks any way we can. However it's come at a price in office time. Tami is the KI Office and while she carries her Blackberry with her, the out of the office time is challenging. We are, as always, committed to the success and growth of KIDabra and we appreciate your understanding, as we work through this family time.

Renewing Your KI Membership
Thank you for renewing your membership. The majority of your membership fee goes to the publication and shipping of the terrific KIDabra Journal. We have found that with tougher economic times folks let memberships lapse assuming that they don't make a difference. Believe me you do, and are a valued part of the KIDabra family, plus renewing helps in keeping the magazine on schedule. To renew or join now go to kidabra.org and click on Join. Thanks so much and if you have already, double thanks!"

So, they ARE reaching out to members and they ARE explaining situations as they arise. If members haven't received one of these emails in seven months, they should check with Tami. There's clearly a problem with the email address on file. Although her sons would probably disagree, Tami's many skills do not include clairvoyance.

If the emails are going straight to SPAM, that's an individual member issue for not setting KIDabra as an approved email sender.

If they're receiving them and not opening them, respectfully, the fault also lies solely with the member.

harlin
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of harlin
I finally got my journal today YEAH!!! I am happy for awhile LOL!
But I still beleive customer service needs addressing.
Tommy you look very handsome amd magical LOL
Harlin
idomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Denver, CO
255 Posts

Profile of idomagic
Skip,

I understand all the great benefits but I have no idea how to take advantage of any of this because there has been no communication from Kidabra. I'm not looking for any "valet" delivery, just any delivery. Let me play the part of a cranky new member, something I am not. I'm actually really low key and not too worried about it but...

• Affordable K&K liability insurance - Awesome, how do I take advantage of it?
  • Free member websites - Where do I set this up?
  • The KIDabra Journal (certainly the best kidshow entertainer's journal out there) - Seen plenty of great reviews, unfortunately have yet to see one.
  • Access to the annual conference and the largest live kidshow magic auction in the world - I can't wait.
  • Direct, friendly and supportive access to nearly every top kidshow entertainer on the world market and, most important of all How do I find this resource? Is there a list? A website?
  • International recognition of kidshow entertainers as true and valued peers within the greater magic community. The reason for joining

So can you see where this is coming from? I was really excited to join and I must say that enthusiasm is currently feeling like a huge thud.

OK, now I know I'm getting black listed at Kidabra Smile
www.idomagic.com
www.iDOMAGIC.dev
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Anyone get the Dec/Jan or Feb/March issues of Kidabra? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL