The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of Young Magicians! » » COMEDY IDEAS FOR SYM (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zippy
View Profile
New user
PA
54 Posts

Profile of zippy
I am wanting ideas of what and how to teach our SYM group about comedy magic. I use a lot of comedy in my own shows and have my thoughts. One I will explain to be very careful with not causing any embarassment to your auduence members. Using a breakaway wand, etc.I will also show some comedy routines that would not require any member of their audience such as the vanashing bandanna. I guess I am looking for some type of outline to have.
Thanks
afuntimevent
View Profile
New user
CT
82 Posts

Profile of afuntimevent
Hi -
If you have any comedy writing textbooks, you can adapt it to what you want to teach. Mark Wade "Comedy Writing for Kidshows" & David Roper's "Comedy Magic Textbook" are great resources. Each gets into theory, but I think the kids have to understand what comedy *is* and why it works before they can *do* it. I don't think you think you can teach them everything about comedy, but if you can touch on some high points - not embarassing your volunteer, have the joke be on "you," for ex. - and let them brainstorm their own ideas of how to make a trick funny, I think they will come up with some great stuff. When I teach ventriloquism to kids, I give them some bare bones comedy theory (culled from Roper's book), provide them with a bare bones script, & let them fill in the blanks, themselves.
Good luck!

Marlene Clark
S.A.M. National Secretary
Producer, Stars of Tomorrow Show
zippy
View Profile
New user
PA
54 Posts

Profile of zippy
Thanks Marlene. I have already held our session and it went well. I am with you when you do comedy magic you cannot embaress anyone and that Is one thing I did stress. I did a coulple of comedy routines, one that does not require an audience member and one that does. It is correct that not all will be comtable with comedy and you have to be yourself. See you at the convention in July.
Thanks,
Dan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of Young Magicians! » » COMEDY IDEAS FOR SYM (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL