The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » What would cause me to have to completely reload my Explorer settings?? Virus?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
777 Posts

Profile of DaveM
I'm out there surfing around tonight, get a msg like "RPC error" shutting down in 60 seconds..or something to that effect. BUT, when the computer comes back up the internet connection is gone completely, with me having to go in and reinstall the cable modem. I did notice some very strange string of text in "internet options" where you type in your desired homepage. Hmmmmmmm

Is this due to a virus? If so then why wouldn't Norton catch it? Any help to prevent this in the future would be appreciated. Thanks

All the best,

DaveM
da5id
View Profile
Loyal user
Dublin, Ireland
252 Posts

Profile of da5id
If you have Norton and you have the latest virus defintions, then its probably not a virus. However, I'd need more information to really be able to tell what is going on. It's possible that Windows just crashed and corrupted your internet configuration.

Have you done a full system scan with Norton?
DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
777 Posts

Profile of DaveM
I keep always Norton running in the background. I reinstalled the settings and haven't seen any more problems. A full disk scan yielded no results, wheew! Thanks.

Dave

It did it again..turns out that "RPC" error was telling me that I had received a virus/code. Really glad XP lets you restore settings to a previous day...all fixed.

Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » What would cause me to have to completely reload my Explorer settings?? Virus?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL