The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » JB Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, Hard cover vs Dover Edition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

augur
View Profile
New user
Portugal - Azores
27 Posts

Profile of augur
Greetings,

I own the Dover Edition. I read somewhere that the hard cover one cointains about 4 more chapters. Is the contents of the other chapters worth buying the hardcover edition even though I own the Dover edition?

Thanks.
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Not knowing what the missing chapters are, I would still say buy the hard cover edition. Here are my reasons:

Bobo's Moder Coin Magic is a book you will use a lot if you are interested in coin magic. Most of Dover's paperback editions are made for the mass market ... they aren't made as well as the Magic Inc. version of "Bobo"

Since "Bobo" is the standard for coin magic, and often mentioned in references, you'll want the entire books so you can look up references.

My opinion is spend the $30 - $35 on the hardback edition. Think of how many effects you can buy for $35 anyway. How many effects would be described in the missing 4 chapters ... 100?

Just my 2c.

Dave Birtwell
augur
View Profile
New user
Portugal - Azores
27 Posts

Profile of augur
Greetings,

Thanks for your reply.
After doing a little digging on the subject myself, I found out that the new chapters are (accordinng to Douglas Atkinson's post at alt.magic):
Lessons in Coin Magic (29 tricks);
Selected Coin Tricks (28 tricks);
Trick Coin Miscellany (35 tricks);
Latest Coin Box Magic (3 types, 17 tricks).
A total of 109 new tricks, and some sleights I presume, so the hardcover book is already on my list. Smile
Thanks.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
And I believe it's called THE NEW MODERN COIN MAGIC with the extra chapters. Smile
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
magicfan456
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magicfan456
Hi,
I own THE New Modern Coin Magic, and I chose it over the dover edition because the print is larger, the pictures are larger, it's revised (meaning some of the descriptions have been edited) and contains extra material. Check out this site http://magicref.tripod.com/books/bobocoin.htm which contains a detailed listing of all the info in bobo and the new material. Hope this helps.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
The Dover Edition is missing about 1/3 of the book. Dover re-prints books who's copyrights have expired. When the "new" chapters of Bobo's was added to the original book, they did not understand that you had to copyright EVERYTHING, not just the "new" stuff. So, when the copyright expired on the original book, Dover was able to print the book minus the "new" stuff. Smile
jcvelbar
View Profile
New user
South Florida
50 Posts

Profile of jcvelbar
Probably the only reasonably priced thing I saw at Magic Masters was the revised edition for $30.00!
Tripwire
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Tripwire
You can find the "new" version with all the extra stuff go on e-bay often for around 10-15 bucks.
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
I would say own both. There are 12 years of additional collecting between Modern Coin Magic (that is what your Dover publication is) and The New Modern Coin Magic. Also, according to the preface in my edition of New Modern Coin Magic, Bobo deleted some material foumd in the original book. I would also say having been a printer that the hardbound is going to take the heavy use better than the paperback. It would be great if it had been released in Comb binding to lay flat. Hope this helps.
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
Definitely invest in New Modern Coin Magic, even if you have the Dover edition. You will appreciate the difference.
Shanester
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » JB Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, Hard cover vs Dover Edition (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL