The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickey Silver's Psychological Secrets/ Entertaining with Coin Magic (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..16~17~18 [Next]
Orb
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Orb
Quote:
On 2011-03-25 12:37, sanjaya wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-25 12:28, Double J wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-24 23:46, MICKEY SILVER wrote:

CLICK > CHECK IT OUT > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dESTAO6Hl6o&feature=related

Try to listen to what I am saying about really putting a coin through a table..... This Routine when performed in person,amazes everyone ....including me!!!!

MICKEY SILVER - "HANDS OF LAS VEGAS

I listened to you say that "There is no reason for your hand to go near the end of the table". Then why did you do it? Sorry, easy to see the dump. That coin thru table would not fool anybody.

It amazes you how? That people can keep a straight face when you are finished.

There was no dump. He REALLY put the coin through the table! REALLY! He said so himself. REALLY.

These two comments illustrates everything that I believe the magic café is against. It's a disgrace and it makes me sad to see such behavior presented when you are given the opportunity to learn something from someone so successfull and experienced.
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Mickey that coin through table kicks butt! Thanks for posting that. Smartly executed.

E.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
DJ, "still in his hand?" Oh now I see you that you don't really know what you're talking about, you just talking to hear yourself talk. Clearly you're your own worse enemy, and this water is too deep for you, not because you can't swim but that you purposely won't hold your breath while under the water. Smile

Oh, and I told you to let Vinny tell you the story...and not one of those magicians put their hand under the table to catch anything...Instead one of them "felt" the coin hit his foot and then rushed to see the coin there on the floor. Who you think you playing with here son?
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Chris W
View Profile
Regular user
Have you seen my
176 Posts

Profile of Chris W
Quote:
On 2011-03-25 13:30, Hare wrote:
I too thought the coin through the table was utterly deceptive. I'm being perfectly honest here. I'm not an old friend of Mickeys, we have never spoke, and I've watched a lot of magic over my past 40+ years of learning/performing coin sleight-of-hand.

His use of psychology here is brilliant. I can't see how a human being could possibly see this performed once...(magician or not), and not come away astounded at how natural, honest feeling and frankly magical this appears to be. It seems to be that the coin passes throught the table using magic.

This video is as good as a whole semester at a magic college. Everything you need to know about fooling people by being natural, using disarming psychology, enjoying your own performance, and "believing in what you are performing" is here for anyone to learn from.

Harlan Tarbell would have been gawking, proud and grinning, if he was around to see this excellent mind and hand magic.

I'd like to thank Mickey for this brilliant routine. It's simple, it's elegant, it's uber-effective, and best of all, Mickey Silver makes it really entertaining.

Same for me. I quite enjoyed it.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote: "I did listen, to him say that There is no reason for your hand to go near the end of the table. And that's exactly what he did"

That is done in a lot of magic. You say you aren't going to do something even as you're doing it. Have you ever heard of sleight of hand, misdirection or audience management.
sanjaya
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of sanjaya
Okay, here's the deal. The sleight of hand is very good. What I don't care for is the self-important, totally self-absorbed attitude.

Reminds me of this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5aSa4tmVNM
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
"It has always been the prerogative of fools and children to say that the emperor has no clothes. And yet the fool remains a fool, and the emperor remains an emperor."
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of Hare
I suspect there is always going to be some rampant jealousy whenever someone showing extremely excellence comes along. Being magicians, we all have at least a modicum of self-importantance and egos. We like being the center of attention- or we wouldn't be getting up in front of people and having them watch us do tricks.

I don't get the impression Mickey is any more or less self-absorbed than anyone else here. He has confidence- and he should!

He also is willing to share...and the material he is sharing, the tips he is offering, is the stuff that turns someone who is just showing someone a trick into someone who is performing entertaining magic, in my opinion.

The things I'm most impressed with with MS here is his mastery of not just one element of being a good coin magician- he seems to possess all four of the characteristics which I think a coin magician needs in order to become the very best there is. How often do you find the below qualities in one coin magician?

1. Great technique.
2. Creativity to explore/invent new handlings/effects and turn older routines into your own.
3. Charisma with others, the inherant ability to be really entertaining as well as magical.
4. The possession of a good firm grasp of the psychology of the audience.

Most of us stumble at one of these above traits. Some of us like technique maybe, but are more lost when it comes to being creative, or, we like to practice moves, but lack the gift of gab.

It seems to me Mr. Silver here has a great balance of these four equally valuable parts.

And that's something!
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
sanjaya
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of sanjaya
Quote:
On 2011-03-25 14:15, volto wrote:
"It has always been the prerogative of fools and children to say that the emperor has no clothes. And yet the fool remains a fool, and the emperor remains an emperor."

And the emperor remains an emperor albeit standing there with his *** hanging out for everyone to see.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Totally agree Hare. There's a real charm in his manner. The smile, the moving of his body even his accent all go together to make a totally engaging performance. I'd never seen anything of Mickey until these videos were posted. I can definately see what all the fuss is about. It's unique too. A completely individual style of presentation. I like it a lot Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Coin Through The Table was fantastic IMO. I'd love to see that live just to see the spectators' reactions. An excellent display of technique and audience management!

Thank you.

Jim
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Ok Mickey's one coin thru the table,,,,,,,
we were at the Magic Castle some years back,A bunch of magicians were gathered around the table showing there methods of coins thru the table.
As Mick and I stood by watching one of the magician asked Mickey if he did coins thru the table ., Mickey said I do one coin thru the table. they asked to see it,
mickey proceeded to take one of their silver dollars and have it signed. next he ask what spot on the talbe did they want the coin to penetrate . a invisible X was marked, mickey then pushes the singed coin down and thru the table and at the same moment the coin hits the magicians ankle under the table he screeched what the @#$%
the coin was rertrived and it was the signed coin,
this is the best coin thru the table they or I had ever seen
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Let him rave so that men might know him mad. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Marion, as you know, it's usual to have the ones who know the less to pose as judges of magicians that they will probably never reach the level of: it just make them feel superior because they don't realize how their arrogance is perceived.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
That's some serious lonely junior high kid trolling there. Did I go to YouTube by mistake?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Mickey was stting across form the magician whe the coin went thru the table it hit his ankel, I'm hip to that
DJ you have the right to state anything you want,,im hip to that your OP is as good as anyone elses
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Mickey, I do a coin thru table, and your demonstration has given me some serious food for thought on how to kick my routine up a big magical notch. Many thanks (again) for your teachings and inspiration.

Todd
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
# 5 Mickey Silver's lost practice video Click > CHECK IT OUT > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPNHJkEd_BE&feature=related

NOW!!!! Here is a Silver Dollar that "LOOKS LIKE" it turns into a Chinese coin occurring because of my psychology of body language

....................... Look very, very closely at my feints and gestures as they combine together and above all listing closely as I guide you into "BELIEVING" what I am actually doing! Simply because I am doing what I tell you!!!

Hope this helps some one to see the entertainment value in coin magic!!!!!!

Thank You

MICKEY SILVER - "THE HANDS OF LAS VEGAS"
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
A month ago, we were at the House of Pancakes. Mickey, myself, Bill Wisch, a long time student of Slydini and well known lecturer, and Ray Goulet who has worked with every major magician in the last 50 years. Naturally the subject of Coin Through the Table came up in the conversation.
As we stood up to leave, Mickey said, "Here's how I do it". Both hands are in the CENTER of the table AT ALL TIMES. He shows one silver dollar only. Both hands are absolutely clean, and we're all burning him intensly. Mickey pushes that coin RIGHT THROUGH THE CENTER OF THE TABLE and it falls to the floor directly below. We all jumped and there was lots of laughing and cursing. Then he picks up the coin and casually tosses it through the plate glass door. It clicks as it goes through.
REMEMBER, this can be done with a MARKED coin. It's the cleanest thing you ever saw. I don't care what someone thinks they caught on the video.

Maybe you need to experience this live and at close range. But it did actually happen.
BELIEVE IT OR NOT!
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
On another note, Mickey is being extremely generous in sharing his insights through these old practise vids.
It really doesn't matter if it fits your particular style or not. There is a great deal of priceless information here if you read between the lines and study. He has a technique you won't see anywhere else and sleights that
haven't even been named yet.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickey Silver's Psychological Secrets/ Entertaining with Coin Magic (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..16~17~18 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL