The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Torches (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joculari
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of joculari
Hello.

I'm planning on buying a set of torches for a street routine but I don't know which ones would be best for buying. I don't have a fat wallet but I'm ready to pay in the 80-120$ US range. I was thinking about renegades or dube. I wanted renegades because they come decorated but then I was thinking whether that mattered much since torch juggling usually takes place after the sun has gone down. I've made my own torches before but they're rather dangerous and every now and then the cotton wicking falls off in the middle of a performance.

Any suggestions?
philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
I have heard that Henry's makes some of the best torches.

Here is the link: http://www.henrys-online.de/Webshop/enter.html?lang=en-us

Hope this helps,
Phil
Lithix
View Profile
Regular user
Tempe, AZ
168 Posts

Profile of Lithix
I got a lot of use out of my Dube Classics—but if you wanted to make your own more safe, you could just order the replacement wicks from Dube.com and rewrap your torches with those. Add a couple screws to hold the wick on there and you're set.
joculari
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of joculari
Do the Dubes blacken really easily?
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Your best bet is to go to a retailer and try them before you buy. Here's a link to some of the shops in Canada:

http://www.jugglingdb.com/vendors/index.php?country=38

However, if you're used to juggling one make of clubs, you're usually best sticking to that make of torches too.

Paul
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
I carry an old dark-colored towel right in my torch bag to wipe my torches down before putting them away. Some fuels produce more smoke than others.

All of the tourches are probably well-made but their handles may be different, as well as weight and balance. You will get used to whatever you buy. If you replace your wick when needed, you will get a longer burn time and will have a safe tool. If there is a juggling club in your area they may have several different types there.

Hope this helps.
Alessandro Scotti
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
263 Posts

Profile of Alessandro Scotti
I love my Henry's but I would not buy a set of clubs or torches without trying them out first...
Walk of Mind: the best source of bad magic
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Honestly not sure which brand my torches are, but the wooden handles start to bruise the palms after intense practice sessions.

Go to WalMart and get grips for tennis rackets. Wrap them around the handles of your torches (or clubs for that matter). The difference in comfort is UNBELIEVABLE!
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
If you're looking at doing street work, I suggest you get heavy torches. The wind is bad where I live, and I went through a few torches before I found the ones I use now and am happy with.
I use Dube Torches, for 2 reasons. The first being I have a Dube fetish, and the second being they are a solid, smart and well made club. The best, in my opinion. A little more expensive, I understand. But worth it.

I have a homemade set, also. Which I made a number of years ago on a $15 budget. Works okay, looks okay, but are very light and not as professional as the ones I use now.
philblackmore
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of philblackmore
Nathan- wouldn't your idea make the handles flammable? Most well made fire torches do not have wooden handles and so wrapping them shouldn't be necessary.
I would personally recommend Henry's niteflite torches.
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
I just got these cheapos for $80 at the local magic shop. The juggling is mostly just a hobby, I don't perform a juggling act in my show. Once in a while I'll teach a juggling class.

The grips only extend from the end of the handle to about 6 inches below the metal shaft. I've never had any troubles with them catching on fire.

Happy Juggling!

Nathan
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
rsummer27
View Profile
Loyal user
South Carolina
225 Posts

Profile of rsummer27
I have a set of renegades myself. The dubes are wonderful. I have juggle with them before, but they are expensive. The renegades are not as well made, there are some plastic parts and they need to be retaped after serious use. They are a lot cheaper however and if you juggle a lot and wear out equipment regularly then I would go with renegades. Any torch is going to blacken easily. I carry my torches in a plastic bag to keep them off of my other props.
Ralph
Giggles the Clown buys all of his
supplies at www.madhattermagicshop.com
Super Low Prices on Videos and DVDs!
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
I currently own a set of the standard Dube with the wooden handles, but if I could buy any torches I wanted I'd immediately get the Dube ones with the Europeon club style handles. They'll run you a good $130 or $140, but it'll serve you better in the long run.

I wish now that I had saved for those instead of getting the ones I have. The balance on my set is great but the handles beat the heck out of my hands. (Though they helped improve a flaw in my style that I didn't know I had. Bruises are good teachers).

Regarding wicks,

Don't let the wick burn. When the fuel is nearly gone the flames will become much smaller then they were originally as they're burning the wick instead of the fuel. Blow them out at this point. Your wicks will last MUCH longer this way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Torches (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL