The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Patter for cups and balls? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wackyvorlon
View Profile
New user
Sarnia, ON, Canada
72 Posts

Profile of wackyvorlon
I've been working more and more on the cups and balls, but I'm lacking in patter. I'm still pretty thoroughly a newbie, and really haven't got any good ideas. I have some thoughts on where to start. I mention that the trick I am about to perform is one of the oldest in magic, and explain that depictions of it have been found in ancient egyptian tombs. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts? Even a pointer to an example of good patter would be great. Thanks.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Very quickly, the whole ancient Egyptian tomb thing has been proven false. They were baking bread.

If you're looking for general presentational ideas, here's a page on my blog that's got a few dozen videos to consider...

http://sleightly.com/blog/cups-and-balls/
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
darylrogers
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
130 Posts

Profile of darylrogers
Being a new "returner" to magic myself, I cannot offer any suggestions in the way of patter for the trick. I have been working on building a show and cups and balls is trick #2 in my list. I talk about the heiroglyph, then use a TT to produce a copy of it on a small silk (that is trick #1). I do talk about the tomb of Baqet III at Beni Hassan, saying "scholars and researchers have determined that this isn't the oldest depiction of a magic trick, but all I know is that yesterday's myth can become tomorrow's scientific fact, and here is what I think the man is doing," then I launch into the Mark Wilson routine. This way I can address the fact that cups and balls is a really, really old trick, but hedge any statement about the heiroglyph itself. When I do the routine, I just explain what the balls are doing, penetrating and vanishing and such.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Premise of the day: A wannabee three shell game player who just can't get a break.
They even put the ball away and still it's on the table under the selected cup.
And the guy way in the back of the hall can pick the right cup - no idea how he can see the ball from there (first giant ball produced)
have fun.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
P.Synenberg
View Profile
New user
Abingdon, Va
58 Posts

Profile of P.Synenberg
I myself have the same problem as for finding cups and balls patter. However gazzo performs some killer street cups
-P.J. Synenberg
TheGreatIni
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of TheGreatIni
I'm trying to build patter for my routines as well. I'm still working on the mechanics though, but I figure integrating the patter with the practice can't hurt.

Has anything been stated about the use of The Cups and Balls in ancient Rome? If I recall wasn't there a group/sect/what have you of magicians specifically devoted to that routine?
charliewerner
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of charliewerner
I think you get Dai Vernon Patter as your basic. Then focus on audience interaction.
"Seeing Joy, Sadness, Anger,Contempt,Surprise, Disgust,Fear on people faces are the motivation of my MAGIC" Charlie Werner (C.C.L)
charliewerner
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of charliewerner
Do David Copperfield perform cups and balls?
"Seeing Joy, Sadness, Anger,Contempt,Surprise, Disgust,Fear on people faces are the motivation of my MAGIC" Charlie Werner (C.C.L)
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
David Regal's routine has brilliant patter.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Suzanne builds her routine around a parable. The approaches are endless. I think a routine that starts with the history and then says, "the balls are here... now they're here" might show the magician's skill but doesn't elevate to the realm where magic is more than just trickery... is wonder.

Here's the Suzanne link for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGC-hmrVpmU
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Suzanne builds her routine around a parable. The approaches are endless. I think a routine that starts with the history and then says, "the balls are here... now they're here" might show the magician's skill but doesn't elevate to the realm where magic is more than just trickery... is wonder.

Here's the Suzanne link for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGC-hmrVpmU
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Patter for cups and balls? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL