The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » 'Be' by Kyle MacNeill (Review Copies Available!) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Right thanks guys!

I will work on making the methods explained a little better.
And by the way, thanks Cameron again for all your crediting and grammar things you said, helped the improve the Ebook a lot!
Will start updating it (for the better Smile ) now!

Thanks all,

Kyle
Einmaliger
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
199 Posts

Profile of Einmaliger
Quote:
On 2011-05-07 17:06, james_thecanadian_magician wrote:
But every review of the book has been 100 percent praise. Not 1 negative point made. It just seems a little odd to me.

Welcome to the Café, where nearly every new product is considered the best thing since sliced bread Smile

Actually I had the impression that Paul's review was quite balanced. After all he pointed out some things in the book that may not appeal to everyone.
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
I also have been given lots of pointers by people including Paul, which has made be better!
It certainly wasn't perfect before and isn't now!
But it is a pretty solid Ebook with some nice, commercial tricks. Smile
It will listed on Lybrary VERY soon!
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
VERY soon now!
monello74
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of monello74
I already see the day in which I will say: "I had the pleasure to know Kyle."

I read his latest work "Be" and it is awesome. His work becomes better and better everytime.
I don't write here a description about the effects, because it is already done, I want just
to add my congratulations.

If you love the card magic you need to know Kyle work.

Bye
Tommy.
It's a Miracle...

For ACAAN/OP effects:
(Mental Magic)
https://www.lybrary.com/tommaso-guglielmi-m-52570.html
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Wow, thanks Tommy, I feel I am getting better, and hopefuly this is my best work yet! Smile
I am honoured, I LOVE your work!

Kyle
pduffie
View Profile
Veteran user
Scotland
340 Posts

Profile of pduffie
This is a fresh and innovative collection of card magic. It's rare that I add a new routine to my repertoire, but Kyle has an 'absolute belter' in BE that went straight there. Enough said - I've already given too much information ...
Alternative Magic
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Mini review:

Bias rating - Yes, I got a review copy from Kyle, so I have not parted with my hard earned cash. I am a part time 'stroller' but don't do a lot for friends & family, therefore I look for certain types of effect e.g. resetable, angle-proof, can be done with an incomplete deck.

Caveat - Hey, what do I know? It's just my opinion!

E-book layout and presentation - Nice graphics and a decent layout. There were some fun quotes and comic book page at the beginning. The odd typo, but generally tidy.

The opening introduction / essay - I have to confess I was concerned. Wisdom normally comes from experience and here is a short 'essay' on creating wonder. Hmmm... On reading it, I am relieved to say that Kyle does not 'preach' and it is a good read.

The effects: I sat with a deck and worked through all of these, but have not performed them at a gig. Not all sleights are explained, but alternatives are normally given to some harder moves. Difficulty - intermediate - ish.

1: Cheddar & Chutney - I don't do much in the way of sandwich tricks. This seems like a solid example. Pro - a fair bit of visual magic, 2 selections. Con - could possibly be further streamlined & use matching jokers instead of blank cards.

2: Box & Deck - a 2 card transposition using the box. This comes across as an original twist on a transpo. Pro - Nice theme, good simple plot. Con - There is one move I don't like - the spread of two face up cards which I think may point to the DLs just performed.

3: Everywhere prediction - "Everywhere and Nowhere meets a simple prediction..." I like this, probably my favourite effect. This could be a worker - I will have a play with this.

4: Blank you very much - A "showstopping" tansposition. Pro - if it works, it would be strong. Cons - Too much audience management required for it to work with a drinking or lively crowd.

5: Triumphant sandwich - As the title states, Triumph meets sandwich. Pro - working through this, it actually looked nice. Con - A six card set up, some reversed. I will often do a bit of culling when working, but the set up puts me off (ordered, reversed cards).

6: Universally accepted - A quick visual routine. Pro - quick, visual. Con - 'movey' double, triple, quad lifts, riffle pass...

7: Cricket - Grasshopper variant. The one routine of which there is a performance video. Pro - visual. Con - none really.

Moves - 2 moves for use with Cricket.

Final 'cons' - I struggled to work through this at times. It is not written badly, but 'position checks' and recaps would be good. Even better would be the Cameron Francis (and others) approach of posting a 'walkthrough' performance of the trick (perhaps via private 'purchaser only' youtube vids). I also think that one or two of the effects would have evolved if worked in the trenches for a period of time, e.g. using a riffle pass after a triple and quad lift - with beer dampened cards, surrounded? Do-able, but only by the very skilled and / or brave!

Final 'pros' - I have worked jobs where the audience member has said "ooh - I've seen the trick where the card is signed - do you know it?" (lol!). What you get here is a genuine, diverse range of card effects, each of which the previously mentioned spec should easily be able to describe. If you spend time with these effects, I'm sure you will find handling adjustments (if needed) to suit your style / performing conditions.

Parting comments
This is Kyle's best e-book yet. I think Kyle's work will keep getting better as he gains more diverse performing experience and refines them under fire. I will probably give 'Everywhere prediction' a try in the real world and may play with 'Box and Deck' to see if I can get it to fit me. If Kyle sells this for $8 - $12, I think that a lot of people stand to get a good deal. The fact that I have got a potential worker from this, is a positive reflection of the quality.

Charlie
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks very much for your HONEST review Charlie, it is VERY much appreciated!
It is now on sale for $10 at Lybrary here: http://www.lybrary.com/be-p-105744.html
Thanks Peter, honoured by your so wonderful comment!!!!!
And thanks also Tommy, so happy you like it, thanks for your kind words!

Best wishes and thanks for the continued support!

Kyle
Rus ANDREWS
View Profile
Inner circle
1451 Posts

Profile of Rus ANDREWS
BE

Hi all

I was sent BE by Kyle about a week ago and asked to run my eyes over the content within, and as expected the effects again are very well thought out. All of the effects are workers, with some great twists on classic plots, which is the type of magic I like to read.

A personal favourite for me has to be BLANK YOU VERY MUCH as its quite a bold effect, which as most people know from my own work is my favourite type of effect to perform as I feel it always hits the hardest and seems more impossible.

Once again Kyle great work as always, I take my hat off to you sir well done.

Keep up the good work,

I will take some of these effects out into my working environment in bars and nightclubs and put them to the test….

I will update this review with my finished result.

Well done again

R
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks Rus, glad you like it!
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
And I am looking forward to your feedback after roadtesting!
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Btw, don't underestimate Blank you Very much, although it is Bold, it works a treat IMO! Smile

Kyle
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks for the support thus far... Smile
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Think the book is really good, the routines are becoming more polished and immediately useable. I generally like to change things a bit but these are mostly ready to go for me. I've been playing about with Blank You Very Much a bit, it's a nice idea! I like the spec being able to do most of the work though I think some of the actions may require a little more meaning but that would come in fine tuning it for performance. The extra bits are something nice to find in an ebook, the moves section and a little bit of history. It's good to see that you really care about the effects and aren't just creating them to put something out. Nice work mate, I always look forward to getting seeing what you are doing and hope you get the recognition you deserve!

in the ebook I think maybe the effect sections could be a little longer, the method section can be a little difficult to follow if you aren't aware of your place in an overall picture.

regarding the amount of positive feedback for this and for Kyle, no need to hate something if it's great! Plus there are much worse culprits for this on here, at least Kyle puts in effort, as can be seen in the size and quality of this latest venture.

Great stuff really, would recommend it for anyone looking to get some ready to work routines that are fun and will play well.
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
And for all the purchasing, it means a lot to me ! Smile
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I think I'll go ahead and purchase this one. I'm familiar with some of Kyle's work and I've been impressed with all of it.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Well, it's not wonder BE is getting such good reviews, this is all good magic. Kyle has been putting out good magic since he first started and he's still doing it.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
BE is really some fine magic. I like the Universally Accepted and the Triumph. And the blank card where the spectator ends with the blank card and you have the selected card. Blank You Very Much, I think it's called. I like that the spectator handles the cards very openly. Gives it a very innocent appearance. And I like all the sandwich tricks.

Kyle has been putting out good magic since he started and he's still doing it.
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
I've finally had a chance to read through "Be" and would say overall I have enjoyed it.

This represents Kyle's best work to date, I wasn't crazy about his previous releases but this is proof that he is evolving and starting to realise what a good trick is all about, it is a shame that he is so young as I feel he'd benefit greatly from getting out and doing some gigs and real life situations as this will improve his tricks and his magic brain.

I would say from a formatting point of view and from a learning point of view (especially for any hobbyists or beginners) that the pictures were put next to the part they related to rather than right at the end and I also feel there could have been more pictures to aid explanations.
All the effects in the book are within reach of intermediate card users with a bit of practice.

Blank you very much is for me the stand-out effect of the ebook but I feel that the spectator can just as easily put their hand on top of the card instead of in their pocket, this eases up on audience management and detracts nothing from the impossibility of the effect.

If Kyle is selling this for $10 as I think he mentioned somewhere that he was (but don't quote me) then it's a sound investment.

Would really like to see Kyle diversify into other areas of magic.

Good work kid, keep it up
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » 'Be' by Kyle MacNeill (Review Copies Available!) (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL