The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » R.I.P. John "Doc Jon" Deems -- October 27, 1943--May 9, 2011 (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I am so sad to report that John Deems, known as Doc Jon passed away from brain tumors in Minneapolis at 4:00 pm yesterday.

There is some wonderful video of Doc from the "In the Life" DVD on my Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/pophaydn

You can post condolences on Doc's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1......68335824

Maitre D
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Maitre D
Very sad news... He will be missed. Rest in peace, big guy. Don't forget your helmet.

Whit and the SFS crew, thanks for putting together the DVD set while opportunity was here. The glimpse into his life can now carry on forever because of you guys.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3106 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Thanks to Whit I remember the very interesting chat session we had last year. There was Ron Conley, Don Driver, Sam Case, Whit and many others. What a cool chat it was! I remember he was talking about another DVD project. Unfortunately we won't see it :-(.

RIP Doc Jon.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
539 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
RIP.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I will post the three video clips of Jon on YouTube today, for those who aren't on Facebook.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1882 Posts

Profile of iamslow
OMG, I was just chatting with him not too long ago... I even sent him some linen finished decks....so sad... r.i.p Doc Jon.
"Everyone is tough till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
R.I.P
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Here is Doc talking about the Yakuza:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF6tjuXH_5Y
jfquackenbush
View Profile
Special user
Out here on the desert
621 Posts

Profile of jfquackenbush
Rest In Peace. I only know of him from the Scoundrels video, but he seemed like a genuinely good guy. This is sad news.
Mr. Quackenbush believes that there is no such thing as a good magic trick.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Here is Doc talking about David Blaine and selling magic to kids at Mall of America:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to5n7pGpBIU

Doc talks to those who may want to go into "the Life."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgNPe1Kfygo
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Thanks so much for the links Pop!

RIP Jon!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15457 Posts

Profile of tommy
My condolences Whit for the loss of your great friend Doc Jon and thank you kindly for the memories of this wonderful fellow.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Bret Maverick
View Profile
Regular user
U.S.A.
188 Posts

Profile of Bret Maverick
I'm very sorry to hear that, Whit.

John and I emailed each other frequently for several months over a year ago, and I sent him some recipes from his youth that he'd been hankering for, but couldn't find.

He mailed me his DVDs and I enjoyed them, It's not often that an old time worker tips the real stuff to the unitiated on video.

Actually, his death is really depressing to me, marking the fourth person I've known in the biz to pass away in the last two months. The other three were "White Hats" (an expression that Doc chuckled at when I introduced myself to him as being one, to be sure that he knew who he was tipping stuff to). Nevertheless, I think he wore a white hat for more of his life than a black one. (Many of the best white hats I've known walked on the dark side of the streets as kids, squaring-up as they aged.)

Obviously, our different paths in life led to some disagreements in opinions, but I'd really have liked to have met John and shot the **** with him. I truly enjoyed the banterings we had, and will miss our conversations.

May he rest in peace.

Bret

P. S. That's a great photo of Doc, Whit!
"If all a man can count on is finally pushing up the grass, when I do I'll lay you odds that grass is mine!" - Theme Song For The T.V. Series BRET MAVERICK, by Ed Bruce
manolesta73
View Profile
New user
Italy
44 Posts

Profile of manolesta73
R.I.P. Doc Jon
blackeagle
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of blackeagle
While keeping the topic of cards and odd, did you know that 2 people out of every 100000 are diagnosed with Brain Tumors every year, so your odds are having one are about .002% (99.998% chance that you are fine). Thus, Doc Jon got a very very bad beat.
Kimura
View Profile
Elite user
427 Posts

Profile of Kimura
I loved the DVD set, Doc John was quite a character. I think I will watch them again, and I know I'll have a good time doing so.

I only emailed him once, but his reply was thorough, kind and appreciative. Absolute gent.

R.I.P
Ron Conley
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Ron Conley
Doc Jon had a lifetime of experience in the underworld yet the simple honesty of a child. R.I.P. my friend.
Bret Maverick
View Profile
Regular user
U.S.A.
188 Posts

Profile of Bret Maverick
Quote:
by blackeagle: did you know that 2 people out of every 100000 are diagnosed with Brain Tumors every year?

No, I didn't know the statistic, but my brother-in-law (my very close friend) died of a brain tumor in 2001 at the age of 45. While there are mixed opinions regarding the origin of his brain tumor, he and his wife strongly suspected that it his his very heavy use of early cell phones, which he lived on during his constant business travel.

I've never used mine much and try to use a wired earphone when I do.

Bret
"If all a man can count on is finally pushing up the grass, when I do I'll lay you odds that grass is mine!" - Theme Song For The T.V. Series BRET MAVERICK, by Ed Bruce
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Doc Jon was one-of-a-kind, and in the sweetest way possible.
He could swear up a storm (even in PM's and emails), but remained a truly kind man throughout.

I exchanged many PM's with him on another forum, and (thankfully) he never shirked an opportunity to share "just one more" story with me.

A few of us here talked about his "In The Life" DVD back when it came out:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=188

It's worth thanking Whit for helping Doc get this all down on tape, so it could be shared with those who were sincerely interested in the ups and downs of "The Life", and in Doc Jon as a person.

.........RIP Doc Jon, a gentleman of the finest kind.
Bret Maverick
View Profile
Regular user
U.S.A.
188 Posts

Profile of Bret Maverick
Very well said, silverking, and thanks again for sharing that photo of doc and video links!

Bret

Posted: May 12, 2011 10:35pm
------------------------------------
Obviously, Whit, I meant to thank you for posting Doc-Jon's photo and video link, but couldn't correct my error in time.

Bret
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » R.I.P. John "Doc Jon" Deems -- October 27, 1943--May 9, 2011 (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL