The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Famous Mentalist/Medium Teams (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
I'm putting together a new act and am seeking information on the famous mediumistic teams that would work with one blindfolded on stage and the other out in the audience.

Who made this approach to mentalism famous?

- Gregory Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3673 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
For a ficticious representation, try Dr. Zodiac and Pauline from the Charlie Chan detective series.
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
730 Posts

Profile of leondo
The Zanzigs in the Vaudeville era were probably the original phenoms of the two person act. There were other players prior, as I recall, but the Zanzigs (especially with the first wife) made it to the big time....and are still (obviously) talked about today.
Ted (Leondo)
noumena
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County, CA
136 Posts

Profile of noumena
Brian Gillis and Sisuepahn have a great second sight act. I just performed with them last week and they where great. They had the audience in the palm of their hand. I've also seen them at the Magic Castle and they folled magicians and mentalists just a bad.

Warmly,
Brandon Cross
CardFan
View Profile
Veteran user
& Special Guest
393 Posts

Profile of CardFan
I red about a couple of magicians called Max and Miranda who toured in Europe doing blindfold act at the beginning of the century. Try a net search on the subject.
Simplest of the schoolboys now knows truths for which Archimedes would have given its life...
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Robert Jean Houdin the father of modern magic, was doing a second sight act with his son before 1850...

But who popularized the second sight act, to look what it look today, i will guest Tommy and Liz Tucker...In the years 1970

But, this is a wild guest, bease upon magical literature...

Correct me if i am wrong...

Kuffs
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
730 Posts

Profile of leondo
Kuffs,
With due respect (and I hold the Tuckers in GREAT regard but...) from a historical standpoint, you've overlooked the Piddngtons, an English team that stunned the world.....at 'least' a decade or three prior to the Tuckers. The Zanzigs....even further.
Regards,
Ted(Leondo)
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
798 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Quote:
On 2003-08-14 03:21, leondo wrote:
Kuffs,
With due respect (and I hold the Tuckers in GREAT regard but...) from a historical standpoint, you've overlooked the Piddngtons, an English team that stunned the world.....at 'least' a decade or three prior to the Tuckers. The Zanzigs....even further.
Regards,
Ted(Leondo)

Their tag line:
"You Be The Judge"
Signed,

Riley G Matthews Jr

Film Actor (SAG) & Mentalist

http://www.facebook.com/rgmatthewsjr

Presenting: TOO MANY SECRETS - Explorations of a Psychic Spy
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
Thanks to all who replied. Following up on the replies to give back something…

Dr. Zodiac and Pauline from the Charlie Chan detective series.

Pauline Moore passed away in 2001. A bio is here:

http://www.charliechan.net/pauline.html

Zanzigs in the Vaudeville era were probably the original phenoms of the two person act.

There is an anecdote about them here http://anecdotage.com/index.php?aid=8592 but my browser will not let me see the page (!).

Max and Miranda who toured in Europe doing blindfold act at the beginning of the century.

Nothing found L

Robert Jean Houdin the father of modern magic, was doing a second sight act with his son before 1850...

Lots available on him, natch. Didn't know he did a second sight act - thanx for that J

But who popularized the second sight act, to look what it look today, i will guest Tommy and Liz Tucker...In the years 1970

Here's a link: http://www.evason.com/tuckers.html

Piddingtons, an English team that stunned the world.....at 'least' a decade or three prior to the Tuckers.

Here's a tidbit: http://www.abc.net.au/rn/history/hindsig......5003.htm

..and a CD documentary…

http://pws.prserv.net/usinet.atmore/piddington.htm

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
730 Posts

Profile of leondo
Greg,
Great referances! I love the story of the Zanzigs... ROTFLMAO!
There is lots of Zanzig info scattered throught the editorials of the "Jinx".

I can very much recommend the tape that Jeff and Tessa Evason produced on Liz Tucker. For anybody interested in two person acts, this is a must have.
All proceeds go directly to Liz. That fact is just another example of the class act that is the Evason's.

The CD on the Piddington's is very good also. Again, any two person act needs to see how the Piddingtons blew them all away. Much of it is recorded directly from the many radio show's that they were on.

Good luck in your research.
Best,
Ted (Leondo)
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
I've really forgot about "the Piddington's" ,thanks for that... Smile Leondo

Humbly

Kuffs
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Goldston's "Sensational Tales of the Mystery Men" has a fabulous story about an act known as "The Cornells," who undertook an incredibly ill-advised publicity stunt in the early 1900's. Basically, they bought an unidentified corpse from the morgue, tossed it into the River, then "predicted" the discovery of the body. I've long assumed the story was bogus, but it's good nevertheless.

--Chris
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Wow!!! I agree, this story is probably bogus, but what a clever stunt's...

Thanks for sharing Chris Smile

Kuffs
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3673 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Wow! Look at the publicity aspect of finding a dead body. Even if you got caught and ended up in jail, the publicity alone would be insane!
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
I love the idea also very much, and have an idea to present this is a more commercial way...If i have to presented somethings based upon this idea...

It will look like this...

A good idea here will be a collaboration with a t.v show... you put the number of the tv station on the box, so you gave no choice for the tv show, to bring you back when the package will be found, to complete the stunts !!! No more hints Smile

I will seal a secret prediction in a small box and throw it in a well know river...

On the package, i will propably wrote, " If you found this box, please call abcd Tv Station at 555-5555... Do not open, $1000$ reward if still closed !!! "

The prediction inside the box is made in publics and on tv, or any media coverage and the sealing of the box also...After the throw of the box in the river...You wait for someone to call...

So when someone call, you invite him on the tv show, with the package and you open everythings very cleanly...

Inside the box, my prediction is the exact place on a map, where the package will be found and a description of the area where the package will be track !!! And $1000 in cash also in the box, that you gave to the participant, for the helps...

And my prediction is actualy a real map with only a big bold " X ", around the area of where the box will be found...Not the perfect location, but pretty close...

I thinks this is somethings i will love to present one day...

Thanks for the inspiration Chris...

Kuffs

P.S. Yes, i have couple of start for the solution, but anyway this is not on top of the list, method will come in due time...But, i've got couples of ideas already...

What do you thinks, your opinions are welcome ???
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3673 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Awesome! Reminds me of David Berglas with his hunt for a hidden object, whilst blindfolded. Has real potential!

but... Wouldn't it just sink? Or just float and have hundreds of freaks running after it?
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Quote:
On 2003-08-14 22:12, Dr_Zodiac wrote:
Wow! Look at the publicity aspect of finding a dead body. Even if you got caught and ended up in jail, the publicity alone would be insane!

According to the story, the Cornells did get caught and end up in jail!

--Chris
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Dr.Zodiac you prouf to me, that you read my ideas..lol..

Some Good points, but don't forget, i just have this in mind for a couple of hours, but let's see if everyone share, if we can cover most of the flaws...

For the problem about sink, I have to be honest, i have not put much thinking for the box yet.. Smile

And if everythings goes well, you want all the freak to try to search for the box...I agree, this could be a problems...

But, a good point to start solving this problem, is to keep secret the place of where the box will be lauch in the river...

Anyway, like a wrote this was only a presentation ideas..Smile. I need to put some work on it, to answer all your interestings points.

And maybe, we need to launch a box tie to a weather balloon in the sky, at the place of a box in water.

Doing this at night, will cover the secret location of where the balloon will start is trip...And after you wait for the landing of the box. I only shoots more ideas to brainstorm Smile

Humbly

Kuffs
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3673 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Kuffs,

Why not use a prediciton envelope, and a helium balloon. Your release of it is made very public, and everyones looking for it anyways. Then you don't have to wait so long for results either.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2286 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Patrick,

Two divers in Miami just found a human skull in a metal box while working on a boat. You haven't been hanging around Flordia lately have you?
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Doh !!! I am demasked...

Dr.Zodiac, the balloon idea like a said, can be more easier to prepare and present...

However, i thinks that nobody except , some selct person should see the launching of the balloon, why ?

Because, some will just follow the ballon and try to shoot at it..lol

And i know, it's a bit dangerous to wait for the climax, maybe nobody will ever found the box again !!!

But this can be cover also Smile

Kuffs
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4441 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
In the northern europe we had a very famous mentalist:
Erik Bang, 1919-1996 with partner.

With "Truxa" as stage name and his wife, Gulli, The duo was very famous for their powerful telepathic acts.
Truxa made his debut 18 years old in National Scala, Copenhagen, Denmark whereby he instantly obtained an engagement. That was the beginning of a long, successful career with magic, illusion and "telepathy".

Through the news media, radio and TV, they became famous with their acts of blind driving and telepathy. They used a very clever code for the telepathic blindfold act.
Magic is very fun!
Axman
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Axman
I believe the Piddingtons were Australians or New zealanders. They worked a lot in England and as far as I know got their "break" there.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
AS kids a couple of my friends climbed on to the roof of a multistory building. I think about 15-20 story high. One of them hung over the top kicking his legs until a crowd appeared. He then jumped bak on to the roof and then they threw over a dummy dressed the same. They threw it over holding it by the arms. Thjen let one arm go. It was quite windy and although I knew what was happening even my heart was at my mouth. From the ground it looked so real. The women in the crowd were screaming and screamed even louder when they let it go.

It plumeted down looking realas the limbs moved about blown by the wind. A real thud behind a wall! They did it once more before the cops came we all scarpered.

Would be good stunt to do something like this or at least alot of fun. Blaine does these dangerous stunts. Imagine you were to do one and rig it to appear that it had gone wrong!!!

Im sure it would get lots of coverage!!
Smile
Dr Omni
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of Dr Omni
Axman is correct. The Piddingtons were Australians, but became very big in Britain in the late 1940s and early 1950s, with radio and TV appearances and perfomances in larged packed venues, before returning Down Under. Eventually they got divorced, but the husband then re-married and continued the act on a smaller scale with his new wife.

Another couple performing such an act in the US are Falkenstein and Willard. Their mehtod is detailed in one volume of their series of three videos.

If I might be so immodest as to make reference to my own work in this field, I was once a part of a two-person telepathic act, a newspaper report of which can be found at the following link:

http://timesofmalta.com/core/article.php......+readers
Hypnotist and mentalist.
Websites: www.corporatemedservices.co.uk
www.doctoromni.com
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
798 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Barry Wiley is an expert on them... Check out this link for more information...

http://www.sherlockholmes.co.uk/magic/cdpiddingtons.htm
Signed,

Riley G Matthews Jr

Film Actor (SAG) & Mentalist

http://www.facebook.com/rgmatthewsjr

Presenting: TOO MANY SECRETS - Explorations of a Psychic Spy
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Here in Germany we had in the fifties until the late seventies of the last century an act named:

"CORA" The Lady Who Knows Everything"

I witnessed the act a couple of times and it was faantastic. Cora´s partner was Count Haslingen-Schickfuss, who spoke not a single word during the act. They used a non verbal code which was invented by the Count himself and it was undetectable. Unfortunately they divorced and that was the end of the headlining act. Count Haslingen-Schickfuss died a few years ago, he was over 90 years of age. Cora became a fashion model, demonstrating dresses for older ladies. As far as I know, she is still alive.

Ted Lesley
Smile
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
kazuba
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of kazuba
Mohala
From MagicPedia
Mohala was born Mary Robinson was the wife of Walter Edwin Floyd who performed a two-person mind-reading act as "The Floyds".

"Mohala, the radio mystic" was a phrase coined by her husband. They actively performed magic for several decades starting in the early 1900s. Her billings would read: "Wonderful mind reading tests that far surpass anything heretofore attempted along that line."

The Floyds married early in Walter's career and owed a great deal of success to his Mary. They developed a second sight act and advertising would show Mohalo blindfolded performing calculations as Walter wrote numbers called by members of the audience. She was elected into the SAM Hall of Fame.

"The Floyds, who are among the leading American mind-reading teams, have a system involving 1200 code-words, and can describe anything, no matter how curious." Illustrated Magic by Ottokar Fischer, translated and edited by J.B. Mussey and Fulton Oursler, Macmillan Co., 12 th printing 1950, first edition 1931, Chapter 8, Mind-reading and telepathy, page 135, editors' note,

References
•Who's who in the lyceum By Alfred Augustus Wright (1906)
•Sphinx, Vol 39, page 169 (1940).
•BRIEF LIVES OF MAGICIANS: THE FLOYDS David Meyer in Magicol, No 103 (May 1992).
kazuba
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of kazuba
Piddingtons
From MagicPedia
Sydney Piddington (1918-1991) and Lesley Piddington (1925-) were a husband and wife mentalism team who performed as The Piddingtons and gave one of the most famous stage and radio telepathy acts of modern times.

Sydney Piddington was born in Australia. During World War II he served in an artillery regiment, but was captured and imprisoned for four years. As an escape from the harsh treatment, the prisoners staged theatrical entertainments. An article by Dr. J. B. Rhine on parapsychology in a stray copy of Digest magazine gave Piddington the idea to entertain with a telepathy act with Russell Braddon (who would later write a book).

After the war, Piddington returned to Australia where he met and married a radio-actress named Lesley Pope. They put together a telepathy act based on Sydney's experience, and the Piddingtons became a successful in Sydney and Melbourne on radio and with live stage shows.

In 1949 they went to England, where they became a success on BBC radio programs. Despite the long range, the Piddington were apparently able to communicate with each other in a way that defied most explanations. Everyone had theories about how the were able to perform their act, which became part of the success of the shows as they challenged the public with: "You are the judge." Listeners were stunned as messages were transmitted between the couple from BBC headquarters to places such as the Tower of London or an underwater diving bell.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Wow I just now found a new way to look at my work with Raymond Hill.

We are the ultimate Medium Team.

Working both sides at the same time.

It is going to be a great New year.

J ack

H.o.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Famous Mentalist/Medium Teams (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.401681 seconds, requiring 88 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [8] [7] [7] [1] [9] [8] [4]