The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Free Vector Playing Card Graphics (37 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
ageo
View Profile
New user
Bogota, Colombia
72 Posts

Profile of ageo
Facebook is free. Anybody can join without much effort, CardMaker. All you need to have is access to the internet and an email address. That is not much asking...
One Inch Man
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of One Inch Man
This is great! I'll definitely have fun playing around with these, thank you!
One Inch Man
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of One Inch Man
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2017, ageo wrote:
Facebook is free. Anybody can join without much effort, CardMaker. All you need to have is access to the internet and an email address. That is not much asking...

But not everyone wants to join Facebook though, I think that is the point being made.
ageo
View Profile
New user
Bogota, Colombia
72 Posts

Profile of ageo
One Inch Man, you are right. Not joining is an option, of course.
By opting out, a person may fall behind in knowledge and/or soon become isolated. It is like the option of joining the Magic Café. That is another free tool which is available to those interested. A good student can gain much by reading and searching for valuable information.
It is like having access to a large library. Just being able to walk along the shelves and look around opens entire new worlds...
I used to have a "dumb" mobile phone, and believed that a mobile was for making calls, period. When I got a "smart" one, I was surprised to discover the effectiveness of many communication means, and how much I was losing, falling behind, etc. I believe that many technological tools are not just a luxury but a necessity.
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2017, ageo wrote:
I just became aware of this magnificent resource put together by Chris Aguilar. Thanks a LOT for your hard work and dedication. It takes a great heart to openly share in the way that you do.

That's very kind of you to say.

I'm reminded that I've got an update about half done that I need to revisit and finish off/release at some point.
JonathanB
View Profile
New user
Hampshire, UK
67 Posts

Profile of JonathanB
Any news on the update, Chris?

I'm playing with writing an iOS app (mainly for learning how to make one) that will help to learn the ID pairings (to start with) and these cards are brilliant!
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Face updates (cleanups that hardly anyone will notice but me) are nearly complete. Doing a lot of work toward having some proper backs to add to the set (current one's are kinda garbage). Trying to think of ways to make using various elements of the cards more useful (i.e. perhaps breaking out certain elements from the court cards and so on).
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
I didn't read the 5 pages, but thank you so much! This is amazing.
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Version 3.0 of the set is on track for a Halloween Release (10/31/17).

Please note that this is the set created for wider public use. There are plans for a "Magicians Only" set which will come after this release. Access to that specialized set will (for obvious reasons) be more limited (i.e. certainly not available via any public webpage).

For the 3.0 release:

The face vectors were (once again) even more optimized.
At least one high quality back design (in five colors) has been finalized and will be part of the set.
I'll provide links to quality learning resources for Inkscape (the free programs used to create this vector set).
If time permits, there might be a "mobile optimized" set of mini cards.
Current download site (sourceforge) is an ad-laden piece of garbage, so I'll move the public set somewhere else, perhaps even to my own hosting.

Details of the magicians set are being worked out, but in general it will entail set metrics (pip size/spacing) closer to standard, and various gaffs, elements of gaffs, templates, etc. The licensing will still be free, but perhaps adjusted a bit as I don't want the gaff templates springing up everywhere.

When available, the plan is to offer the downloads only through my forums (access will be free but not automatic.) Lots of details to work out.
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
For information about the public set, there's a publicly viewable (the rest is private) area of my conjurenation forums. It's a good place to track progress of the public set.

http://www.totalnonsense.com/conjure-nat......php?f=38
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Just noticed that the current (2.x) set download is down (!@#$% sourceforge!) so here is an alternate download link. Eventually I'll migrate all downloads to a better, more stable place.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Chris,

Thanks for making this resource available and for all your work!

I downloaded the file and attempted to load it (via import/conversion) into Corel office. It says the file is an unknown format. I contacted Corel support and they investigated and said the file's header had an issue. BTW, I am able to open other .svg files with Corel office with no issues. You may want to take a look at the header and see if it needs to be modified. Thanks.

Phil
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
I only guarantee that the set will work with inkscape (most current version) and will not support software issues with other programs.

That being said, inkscape can export to other formats (like pdf) that can also be imported by Corel (which seems to have a history of .svg import issues).

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2287......rel-draw
http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18279
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Thanks again Chris. I understand. Thanks for the info and I will explore that route.
nbuzza
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of nbuzza
Excellent vector files Chris - a great help for making g**fs!
Nathan Buzza

Illuminati Magic
www.illuminati-magic.com
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Trying to use the .svg files with inkscape to produce the hallucination card. I have been able to figure out how to crop the cards in inkscape and have successfully pieced together the hallucination card so that it appears correct on the display. Unfortunately every time I do a test print I only get what I suppose are the layers belonging to the 3C and AC; the QH, though seen on the display, is never printed. I have tried all sorts of things with no success. I guess Inkscape is not really WYSIWYG? or is it buggy? I have no clue.

Very frustrated. I know this is an Inkscape question. But I have had no effective answers trying to read the manual or on line help.

Maybe someone here familiar with Inkscape has a quick easy answer. Thanks!
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Nevermind on the printing issue. I converted it to pdf then selected print actual size and got a print of the hallucination card. Now on to printing it on a BF card (after removing the top coat of course, etc.)
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I'm not familiar with Inkscape, but it's possible that you have to merge the layers before printing.

Mike
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Well, the pdf convert allowed me to print the whole image but the look of the court card QH is not the best. The lines are too thick -- plus I did not delete the card outline which printed a fine black border. The red in the heart is not quite right either. Things I usually expect to happen when one converts formats, ugh. I was able to erase most of the border with a pencil eraser and in that regard the card looks presentable under a quick casual peek as is the case for the hallucination effect. But I need to figure out how to print from Inkscape -- since that will preserve the line thickness.

I'll try Mike Powers' suggestion in the mean time.
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Inkscape is a complex program that does not lend itself to just jumping in and expecting it to work. It's a very solid program and will generally do what you want, but the skill-set to use the program has to exist first.

As such, I strongly recommend the following learning resources for Inkscape:

Quote:
List of Tutorial Links:
https://inkscape.org/en/learn/tutorials/

A full online Manual:
http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/

Here is an Inkscape based forum that is a good place to ask Inkscape general questions:
https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/ (click on the "forums" tab)

There are many Inkscape tutorials on Youtube, many for beginners.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q......tutorial

Facebook and Google+ also have Inkscape groups if you want to go the social media route.

At some point, it's very likely that I'll create some YouTube videos specific to using the card set. However, as I currently lack the time/desire to field basic inkscape support questions, such videos will likely be private or offered very selectively. It's possible that I'd consider providing support for creating specific cards or working out specific issues on paid basis, but I suspect that most people wouldn't want to pay what I'd likely charge for that sort of thing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Free Vector Playing Card Graphics (37 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL