The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Numbers Re Run by Rus Andrews---The Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
I have read Numbers Re Run and have the following review. I eagerly awaited this sequel since the original Numbers by Rus Andrews is one of the best effects I have ever purchased. The reactions of specatators to the original Numbers is what every performing searches for. The beauty for me regarding the original Numbers is that it is entirely hands off. Therefore, my expecatations for Numbers Re Run was high. I was not disappointed.

The 18 page ebook contains a Foreward by Marc Paul and 10 effects plus the orginal Numbers routine.

1) Concealed--Performer places a deck of cards in front of the spectator along with his wallet. The corner of a single card protrudes from the wallet. The spectator creates a two digit number and deals down to that card. That card matches the card protruded from the wallet. This is a great easy effect to open the ebook. I will definitely use this.

2) Gamble--If you are looking for a gambling presentation this is it. Hands off, 100% reliable and easy for the spectator to follow. The spectator selects a number and counts down to a card that completes a royal straight flush.

3)Heat by Ray Noble--This is a method in which you can use a borrowed deck and/or let the spectator keep the deck. After the number is selected by the spectator the performer has a number of ways to reveal the selected card. Ray Noble gives you his favorite reveal.

4)MNUMBERS by Stuart Nolan--This effect incorporates the Mnemoonica stack into a Numbers performance. I think some people will love this presentation. For me, I thnk the original Numbers is more direct and stronger. This effect will have a different feel and some will really enjoy it.

5 NIL--This is effect could be sold seperately by itself and would be a bargain. Spectator is handed a deck of cards. They use Numbers to create a number. The performer not only predicts the correct card but every other card in the deck is shown to be blank. Brilliant--I believe Rus when he says that the look on the spectator's face is "priceless".

6)Double Psych by David Devlin--This is a two deck effect where the spectator counts down to his selected number and that card matches the card he cut to in another deck. This is really really nice. Great thinking and I will perform this. And so easy to do. Again, would be a bargain as a stand alone effect.

7 Objection by Paul Miller--This is a mentalism routine where a deck with 52 cards has written on it 52 objects. The number selected by the spectator is the object you reveal in a spectacular way. Once again, awesome thinking and should baffle laypeople. Mentalists will use this.

8) Lottery by Kevin James---The Numbers routine is used as a lottery effect. For anyone searching for a lottery effect this is perfrect, hands off and easy to do. Very strong.

9) Partners in Crime---This is another gambling type of effect and for those that like gambling effects you will enjoy this very much. Requires a bit of sleight of hand. If I had to choose I would probably perform the orignal numbers but I don't do gambling type of effects.

10) Destiny by Stuart Phillips---This uses the Numbers effect with Tarot cards. If you want to do any type of psychic reading with Tarot cards this is perfect. Highly recommended.

The original Numbers (which is included) and the additional material in Numbers Re Run is gold. It is what every performer looks for--spectacular effects that are easy to do. This ebook gets my highest recommendation.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
I should add one more thing. Rus adds an additional idea to the original Numbers effect that allows the performer to avoid the Free Ride idea (you will know what this is if you have Numbers). This additional idea I learned of some time ago and made Numbers 100% perfect for me. I think this additional idea will be valuable to many people. I guess I could have saved a lot of typing by just saying "buy this now!".
Rus ANDREWS
View Profile
Inner circle
1451 Posts

Profile of Rus ANDREWS
Thanks for the review, glad you like the effects.

Enjoy

All the best

R
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
Just a note, Partners in Crime doesn't require any sleight of hand at all.
This collection of effects is so strong and varied that any type of performer will find at least one presentation they'll use and it'll be one they'll use a lot!
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Numbers Re Run is a fine collection of 10 additional routines, effects and ideas all based off of the original Numbers release. This release also includes the original Numbers so those that do not have it will find it here as well making this a real value for the cost. I will not describe all ten effects as that was done well already above in the original post by brehaut. I will simply state that this will appeal to the mentalist, psychic entertainer, the card men out there as well as close up and stage performers. There is something here that all will get good mileage out of. I like the fact that in addition to playing cards, one idea uses tarot cards, one a blank face deck and another favorite for me used picture cards, random objects in place of playing cards. The very first effect in this release is called Concealed and it is sweet. It was refreshing to see this first, a fine way to start this project off. Great thinking and one you will use. Ray Noble has a fantastic idea in these pages as well using the suits as indicators. I can't say more without tipping it but it plays great. It uses a complete normal deck, can even be borrowed. Once the spectator names their number, you instantly know the card at that position. This will now become the way I mostly perform this. Even better, combine this idea with the very first effect Concealed and you have an entertainer and jaw dropper. Another routine by Kevin James uses a lottery ticket which is so topical across the states and will play well and fit into a lot of performance situations. These are just a few of the immediate stand outs for me but the other ideas and presentations here are all good too by Rus plus a few other performers. Recommended
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
Quote:
On 2011-05-18 01:23, cmpmagic wrote:
Just a note, Partners in Crime doesn't require any sleight of hand at all.
This collection of effects is so strong and varied that any type of performer will find at least one presentation they'll use and it'll be one they'll use a lot!

*Correction - It does have an entirely optional false shuffle*
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1252 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
I endorse brehaut´s review.

For those who are looking for the Holy Grail, Rus gave us a good approach of it.

The Core: Rus shows his original Numbers method. Numbers is a technique easy to perform that allows you a fast set-up, hands off ACAAN method.

Really it is good. If you are ACAAN´s fan then you would try this.

My personal favorite effects from the e-book are the following:

1) Heat: the deck of cards is examinable.

2) NIL: Performer is able to name correctly the only card on a stack of a blank faced deck!

3) Objection: It is a mix of two good mentalist methods. It can play good on a bizzare context too.

4) Destiny: This is the effect I like more because it uses Numbers method on a Tarot deck.
This effect is for those who perform mind readings, cold readings or predictions.
Actually I found a way to combine Destiny with Thought Dial principle allowing the effect to fly on another power dimension.
I will try in on a pay gig this weekend.

Overall, Numbers RE-RUN uses a good alternative ACAAN method, the e-book is well written, shows detail credits and the effects are strong.

Cheers!
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
NUMBERS has been an amazing routine that have allowed me to simply fry people!

I have been doing HEAT for a while now and have been pleased with the results. After I do it, I just step back and watch the spectator reactions. Their jaw drops open and their eyes light up. After they calm down, I reach out and grab the remaining cards and spread them face up on the table in a big mess. They ALWAYS grab the cards when I do this. There is nothing to see or FIND which adds to the effect. I am pleased that people like the idea behind HEAT.

There are really strong routines in this eBook that will blow people away. Each routine plays so differently from one another. No matter your persona, you will find something that will fit you. I was very pleased to read such valuable ideas in this eBook and find that this may be one of the BEST BUYS for me for the year!

I give NUMBERS 10 out of 10 stars because of the reactions I am getting. I do not like using playing cards in mentalism but NUMBERS look and FEELS so real that I couldn’t pass it up. Once you understand the idea behind NUMBERS, you can dress it up to fit your personality.

NUMBERS has potency and is truly a worker. If you are looking for a routine that has clout and authority, then NUMBERS is the right choice.

Best
Ray Noble
John Palazzo
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
136 Posts

Profile of John Palazzo
I'll second the endorsement of brehaut´s review, Ray's, and everyone else's.

NUMBERS baffles and STUNS (SERIOUSLY) and the routines and thinking brought together in NUMBERS RE-RUN provide a FULL RANGE of presentation themes and ideas for you to choose from or to INSPIRE YOU to CREATE your own NUMBERS routine.

A few of my personal favorites:

Gamble--Completing a royal straight flush (or four of a kind) within a NUMBERS routine is terrific stuff for nearly any crowd that enjoys Poker or similar card games.

Heat--Ray Noble's stamp on this is the deep connection you get with the spectator. Strong stuff.

NIL--I love these kinds of "blank deck" effects. There is a long list of routines based on them, and I think this one could very well gain consideration among the best of them. Time will tell.

Objection--In a way it reminds me of a Jay Sankey effect that has a STRONG IMPACT too. This should HIT HARD.

Lottery--Yet another novel way to present NUMBERS. And already tested by Kevin James at paying gigs. What more could you ask for?

This is a SUPER SET of NUMBERS routines that already has me thinking of other ways to present NUMBERS!

Like Ray said, TRULY A WORKER.

--
PM me if you want to chat sometime.
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
This really is SO commercial, and all the effects are really great applications.
The method is simple but ingenious, and although its not the Holy Grail, it is still a magnificent effect that will never cease to astonish.

Well done Rus!

Kyle
Rus ANDREWS
View Profile
Inner circle
1451 Posts

Profile of Rus ANDREWS
Hi all

Thanks for the great feedback and comments regarding RE-RUN.

This has been an exciting project and the hard work has payed off.

Thanks to all that contributed.

Any questions regarding any of the effects just let me know

All the best

R
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
I've been only loosely in contact with Rus during the last months but as soon as he heard that I had an medical emergency 10 days ago and had to stay in hospital since then, he generously sent me a copy of Re-Run to cheer me up. (Hey - it kinda worked a bit!)

But let's start at the beginning:
When I watched the original demo of Numbers I immediately noticed something odd in the video (a common problem in certain effects where it's not a good idea to publish a demo on youtube) and also found the selection procedure somehow limited.

I emailed my observations with Josė and he cleared up some things (e.g. that there's no order given in that the digit is composed) and my interest re-sparked.

Now that I've read not only the raving reviews but also the full workings of the effect I'm confident, too, that there is no too big trade-off in the selection procecure!

Unfortunately, my current circumstances prevent me from practicing and performing here in hospital but I look forward to hitting them in the face as soon as possible!

The Re-Run additions, on the other side, reflect the passion and creativity the basic idea provokes in the magician's minds - and I find myself, too, having some spontaneous applications for it! Good stuff!

I haven't had time and power to digest the whole booklet yet but what I read e.g. in NIL is a very deceptive idea which incorporates a simple but devious ploy to show that the whole deck has been blank from the beginning! As good as it gets!
Looking really forward to trying out the rest and performing Numbers.

I can truly recommend this book as a Swiss Army toolkit for the most various applications!

Felix

PS Thanks again, Rus, for the review copy!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
davidleiper
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of davidleiper
Having not been privy to the original Numbers routine I was uncertain what I'd be getting here. However on just reading the original routine on it's own (included in Numbers Re-Run)I knew I'd missed out on a great effect.
It may not quite be the "Holy Grail,"( but let's face it what is ) but it's really strong and elicits a fantastic reaction.

From there you are given 10 routines based on the original Numbers and there is definitely something for everyone here, be you a magician, mentalist, psychic entertainer - you get my drift.

Particular favourites for me include Russ Andrews Concealed and Kevin James' Lottery.

This is truly great thinking and I highly recommend this ebook.
Rus ANDREWS
View Profile
Inner circle
1451 Posts

Profile of Rus ANDREWS
Hi all

Thanks for all the comments, just been out gigging and performed NIL and Concealed loads, these routines from ReRun are real workers and leave laymen speechless.
The look on thier face when they see the entire deck blank is priceless.

Let me know how you all get on with any of the effects from the book.

Good luck with your routines and magic

All tha best

R
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
862 Posts

Profile of magico
First, full disclosure is that I was giving a free copy of Numbers Re Run as Rus credited me in the PDF. However, my review will still be the same as if I bought the PDF as I had purchased the original Numbers PDF and did comment that it was a little hard to understand reading the PDF which I noted here on The Magic Café as well as a PM that I sent to Rus along with some other thoughts as well.

I have to agree with Brehaut’s review as well as Rizzo’s review and his thoughts in regards to combining Concealed and Heat. I also like Nil, Gamble and Lottery as well. But, based on all of the routines I will more than likely stick with the original Numbers effect using my own handling in which I combined Numbers with The Grail or would perform Heat the most.

However, I think the Forward to Numbers Re Run written by Marc Paul says it all in regards to the original Numbers PDF, Numbers Re Run PDF as well as all those who seek the Holy Grail ACAAN.

“I have an addiction...I'm addicted to the Any Card at Any Number plot (ACAAN). And I know that if you are reading this you are probably addicted to the plot too! It appears that the affliction is contagious as Rus seems to have caught it off me a few years ago. There really is only one cure...CREATE, and that is exactly what Rus has done. He has created a good, solid, strong and practical approach to the plot. Is it the Holy Grail...Rus admits himself that it is not. But let me please explain something to you fellow addict...the idea of any sort of Holy Grail is to create a concept that even though it may not exist in it's pure form is, none the less, extremely inspiring. It is all about the journey. Rus has very kindly let you in on his personal path of discovery, the results of which I'm sure you'll find very interesting and above all very usable in the real world.

So fellow travellers’...continue on your own path of discovery. Use Rus' ideas as your own inspiration and create. BUT a word of warning....don't be blinded by the brilliance of the Holy Grail itself as that path will surely only lead to madness!”

As stated by Marc Paul’s forward Rus has created a good, solid, strong and practical approach to the plot. If the plot is something you have an interest in than I would highly recommend you pick up a copy.

Magico
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Here is the highest praise I can give---my wife told me that I don't have to give her a present for her birthday if I tell her how I do Numbers. And no I'm not telling her and I'm giving her an Ipad.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 22:10, brehaut wrote:
Here is the highest praise I can give---my wife told me that I don't have to give her a present for her birthday if I tell her how I do Numbers. And no I'm not telling her and I'm giving her an Ipad.

NUMBERS passed the WIFE test! YEA!!!!!!! LOL

Anything that passes tricks/fools a wife is golden in my book! LOL

Ray
Rus ANDREWS
View Profile
Inner circle
1451 Posts

Profile of Rus ANDREWS
Hey I know that feeling, after a good couple of years nothing passes the wife test unless it's real MAGIC!!

Lol

R
pduffie
View Profile
Veteran user
Scotland
340 Posts

Profile of pduffie
Just finished reading this and was highly impressed with the variety of routines. Definitely worth checking out.

Peter
Alternative Magic
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I've written this up as a proper review, but the short version is: very good. Review:

Numbers completely passed me by the first time round, so NRR was quite a surprise. Briefly then on Numbers itself:

Numbers is a really nice simple method for performing a Card at any Number effect. People who know me know I am a fan of principles over sleights or gimmicks, and Numbers satisfies that desire in me without making compromises that spoil the effect.

Here's what the spectator sees: You make an unchangeable written prediction and hand the punter a deck, they pick a number and deal to that number in the deck and deal down the card at that number. They open the prediction and it matches the card. You never touch the card or the prediction. At it's simplest, that's it. The method is procedural, and there is of course a bit more to it, but nothing that will arouse the suspicions of the audience.

So that's the core method then, what else is in Numbers Rerun? Basically it is an exercise in taking a method and showing a ton of different ways it can be presented, via contributions from a bunch of performers and thinkers that twist the presentation inside out, as well as a few rethinks from Rus himself. I love this kind of thing, both as an intellectual exercise and as a way of taking an effect and personalising it, or fitting it into a specific presentation or premise. Some of the creative thinking in NRR definitely sparked some real nice ideas in my brain. In particular I thought Chris Piercy's Partners in Crime unpacked the effect in a very nice direction by engaging the punters and creating a cool little scene with them.

Forget about how close it is to this holy Grail of ACAAN, and look at it instead as a great stand alone effect PLUS a solid utility method to help you build your own effects. With the added bonus of a whole load of pointers that show you just how far it can be stretched.
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Numbers Re Run by Rus Andrews---The Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL