The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Cheek to Cheek. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1689 Posts

Profile of SIX
Hey Guys,

Been playing with the Cheek to Cheek recently for whatever reason and wondered if anyone saw, or know of any cool ideas utilizing it
?

THANKS,

six
CardMaker
View Profile
Special user
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
973 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
For what it was supposed?
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
http://www.magicbycardmaker.com
https://plus.google.com/+CardMakerBerndMauckschGermany/posts
martyjacobs
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
Joshua Jay has a great routine which combines 'Cheek to Cheek' with 'Anniversary Waltz'. The routine is called 'Waltzing Cheek to Cheek' and you can get it from Vanishing Inc Magic. Without a doubt, one of the best fusion effects out there.

Marty
Read my magic blog at: www.MagicOnTheBrain.com
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1689 Posts

Profile of SIX
Marty it is cool, I personally don't like taking away from one strong piece of magic with another. I find it like ending abitious card with a color changing deck, sure its cool, but does one take away from the other? Thanks for bringing it up, I totally forgot about it. Might have to look back at it.
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
See Bob Sheets' take on Eddie Fields' effect, Dropsy Diddle. The Sheets' version is called Zinger and can be found in Jon Racherbaumer's The Greater Artful Dodges of Eddie Fields pgs.73-76.

Sheets released the effect commercially as Gotcha!, complete with DVD and all props.

As the saying goes, after performing this effect, put the cards away...nothing can follow it!
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
martyjacobs
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
@SIX, I see your point. With such a strong second effect, there is a real danger that your audience will forget what happened beforehand. This can be overcome with a clear presentation that implants "key images" into the minds of those watching, so that they remember more accurately what transpired.
saysold1
View Profile
Inner circle
Recovering Cafe addict with only
6426 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 09:14, martyjacobs wrote:
Joshua Jay has a great routine which combines 'Cheek to Cheek' with 'Anniversary Waltz'. The routine is called 'Waltzing Cheek to Cheek' and you can get it from Vanishing Inc Magic. Without a doubt, one of the best fusion effects out there.

Marty

Gotta love the demo with Joshua Jay - for lots of good reasons Smile

This looks very cool thanks for the tip.

BTW - does the Joshua Jay version need the typical cheek to cheek g****d deck that I already own?
marcjack
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of marcjack
Waltzing Cheek to Cheek is definitely one of my favourite effects!! The best thing for me: you have instantly a reset for the next table- if you're doing table-hopping (btw you can even perform it without a table at all ) -no preparation is needed. I would recommend it as a closer of your performance too.

Marc
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1689 Posts

Profile of SIX
Bblumen, I was just at Dinner with him recently, next time he is in NY I will make sure to ask him , thanks!

Marty, glad I made sense! lol
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
741 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
I like R Paul Wilson's Spectrum his version of Cheek to Cheek

Best
Leo Jr
What a tangled web we weave when we first practice to deceive.
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 01:32, CardMaker wrote:
For what it was supposed?

If you want to impress other magicians with how clever you can be with a standard gimmicked deck, one could spend years refining patter,adding kickers,and combining other clever bits of business. However,sometimes it's much more economical and satisfying to both the performer and the audience when an effect is performed in it's purest and most fundamental format. This is not to imply that I discourage creativity, but rather my encouragement of performing an already creative piece of magic the way it was intended. The Cheek to Cheek deck is a killer gaffed deck and I personally have used it in a variety of venues...I have also attempted to add little touches to it that I assumed would make it a more magical experience,but discovered that keeping it pure and simple gets the best reactions...at least for me.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1689 Posts

Profile of SIX
Peppermeat, you are right, but as artist we can not give up and just say an effect is perfect the way it is. There is always ways for improvement especially with this kind of effect where first reactions, at times, could be to grab the deck in disbelief.

I just saw Blaine, do something with this kind of deck and wow, totally took it to a whole different level.

Im just looking for a spark that may ignite the flame Smile

Best,

Six
martyjacobs
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
@saysold1, yes 'Waltzing Cheek to Cheek' uses the standard gaffed deck.

Marty
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
I understand and respect your perspective Six...please keep me posted on your progress. I'll try to jog my memory and share a couple of ideas I used with the Cheek to Cheek deck.
Pepper
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5464 Posts

Profile of motown
I agree, Spectrum/Technicolor cheek to cheek is a good one by Paul Wilson.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
"Cheek to Cheek" deck---originally marketed by U.F. Grant (just giving credit where due)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
25996 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Whose version of the trick uses half faced cards?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
12219 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Hey, thanks for turning me onto this! Ten bucks for a download for a nice effect like this is not too bad. I owned a Cheek to cheek deck decades ago that I had purchased from Tannen's magic, back when they were Lou Tannen's. (Back in the 70's)

I no longer have that deck. And I don't remember the construction of it. But I wonder if the download instructs you how to construct your own gimmicked deck, or does he advise you to purchase one? (Which would surely add to the ten dollar charge for the download.)
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
building a horse pen and needs
2621 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I am seriously thinking of downloading this for use when I start doing restaurant work. But before I do, I have a couple of questions.

I am a physical condition in my hands called Dupytren's Contracture which reduces the mobility of my hands and fingers. I find palming, etc very difficult anymore.

Does this trick (for those of you who perform it) require any type of sleights that I might find difficult?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to answer in an open forum.

Thanks in advance.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: Fellowship of Christian Magicians, KIDabra International
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2031 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
X Marks the Spot is also another great trick using Cheek To Cheek principle.

If you want a clean one then get Triumph with Oz Pearlman.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-07-09 09:22, Mike Maturen wrote:
[snip]

Does this trick (for those of you who perform it) require any type of sleights that I might find difficult?

No. Not if you can riffle shuffle.
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1586 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Christian Engblom has some sneaky stuff with it in Fat Brothers DVD vol.2

J-M
Matze
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Matze
Quote:
On 2011-07-09 09:22, Mike Maturen wrote:
I am seriously thinking of downloading this for use when I start doing restaurant work. But before I do, I have a couple of questions.

I am a physical condition in my hands called Dupytren's Contracture which reduces the mobility of my hands and fingers. I find palming, etc very difficult anymore.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to answer in an open forum.

Thanks in advance.

if you are talking about walzing cheek to cheek,then no...its qute easy,no difficult sleights at all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Cheek to Cheek. (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.189643 seconds, requiring 88 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [1] [7] [5] [1] [2] [8] [2] [2]