The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Some friends hand you a deck of cards and ask you to do a trick. What trick do you do? (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
TheStoner
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of TheStoner
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 00:33, Chappo wrote:
Card to Mouth. Every time.

Yep - that's the one.
mrgoat
View Profile
Regular user
England
115 Posts

Profile of mrgoat
Astounding number of tricks here where no magic happens for AGES. OOTW? As an opener? Wow.

I'd do a colour change routine. First magic happens 2 seconds into the routine.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Yeah, if I'm unsure of how well a person will receive my magic, I usually do something quick and to the point with a small packet of cards. Usually a variation of Daley's Last Trick. If this goes down well I would then follow up with a more involved piece like OOTW that will leave a strong lasting impression.

Marty
TheStoner
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of TheStoner
For sure - gotta be quick and visual
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
The Force. Then maybe Asher Twist for a show-ie bit.
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
MitchellMac
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of MitchellMac
I would probably do the Biddle trick, its impromptu and gets giant reactions if its presented well. I might also cull into position for 2 card monte, because that makes for a good opener.
paullong
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of paullong
I've just started doing James Brown's Box Clever and Reverse Engineering both get great reactions. RE only really works for people who I've met before.
jekyllandhyde
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of jekyllandhyde
Lorraine's impromptu ace cutting routine with a gambling theme.
IllusionsMichael
View Profile
Loyal user
The name's Donnie. I know... bad username choice..
250 Posts

Profile of IllusionsMichael
Mr. Lorayne, my apologies. I assumed ordering directly through you meant going to your Web site rather than another online retailer. When I get through Volume 1, I'll be sure to order the next one through your email. Maybe put something in your signature to remind people of your preference?
Michael Bluth: "So this is the magic trick, huh?"

Gob: "Illusion, Michael. Tricks are something a **** does for money."
TheStoner
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of TheStoner
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 10:55, paullong wrote:
I've just started doing James Brown's Box Clever and Reverse Engineering both get great reactions. RE only really works for people who I've met before.

Good choice - anything by JB is strong
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On 2011-05-26 18:58, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Lynnef: What/which banner? HL.

Sorry for the confusion! I used the word 'banner' generically. Readers should click on the yellow colored websites below your posts.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
For laymen, my top ten in no certain order:

The 9 card lie speller

Carlyle's Card Miracle

an Ace assembly (several handlings-Peter Kane, Don May, Collins are three of the best I think)

cutting the aces (very free form)

lorayne's Quinella (it's almost too good)

The Dunbury Delusion (DAvid Ben's handling)

various mental discernments (one with palm reading is a favorite, but I use my own version of Canasta's Sophisticated Card Trick a lot)

the Stop Trick/ Card at Number (nothing like a side slip and a second deal)

the poker deal (u.f. grant)

various impossible locations (Lorayne's sucker version where the spectator tries to cut equal packets from the bottom of the deck is one of the best-in Reputation Makers I think).
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
Williamson's 3 Card Trick. Little bit of mayhem right off the bat, but it's fun and they're always laughing by the end.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
My strongest tricks are not necessarily the ones I would start with straight away so this is an awkward question. It would all depend on how long I ended up performing impromptu and how much time I had. And the prevailing conditions and atmosphere. I think at the beginning I would do quicker tricks so that I could gauge audience interest. If that was satisfactory I would then go on to the stronger ones. Thus I would not open with Out of this World for example. It is too strong and too slow an effect to open with. For later on it is wonderful. As is three cards across, Macdonald's Aces, three cards across, matching the cards and many, many others. At the beginning I might do Card under Foot, The Rosini Trick, Out of my control (written up by Harry Lorayne). Once the audience is responding well then I would go in for the kill with the stronger items.

But it isn't the tricks anway that make the magician. There are other far more important factors involved such as personality, showmanship and presentation. Factors that virtually all magicians pay lip service to but very, very, very few do much about in practice. That is because these factors are less interesting and more tedious to learn. Yet they are utterly essential if you are going to be any good. The trick is of no importance. Anything will do providing you can find a way to magnetise an audience with it. The magic is secondary. YOU come first.

So perhaps the question, though fascinating and of interest, is actually the wrong question to ask.
labound
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of labound
If the person was a chef, I would walk them over to my kitchen, and ask them to cook me dinner... as for the card trick, depends on how bad of shape the deck was in (always seems like our friends have had the same deck of cards for teh past 5 yrs), but I would probably perform Dunbury Delusion.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Back in time by Sankey, Fingered # 3 I believe its the name by Lovell, ALL TIME FAVORITE Repeat Escape by Rich Marrota.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Just the one? Barrie Richardson's Impromptu Card at Any Number.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Always thought the two or three items of mine mentioned above were well hidden!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
zaki_rafih99
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of zaki_rafih99
For laymen I just take the deck and say "is this your card?" and then spring the cards into their faces and run away laughing. for magicians I just fart loudly and walk around the room... OR daleys last trick for both maybe..
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Harry, your tricks are certainly not hidden from me. In fact I wish I did more of them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Some friends hand you a deck of cards and ask you to do a trick. What trick do you do? (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL