The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » What is the most $$$ you ever spent on a book? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
What is the most you ever spent on a book?
Which one - and why did you have to own a copy?
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I've never really paid an outlandish amount for any of my books. I believe the most I've ever spent on a single [magic] book was $75 for Harry Lorayne's The Classic Collection Volume 2. I got it mainly for Controlled Spelling and the HaLo Aces effects, although I have found many other great things in there as well.

Although you didn't ask, I think it would be interesting to hear if people thought it was worth the price. And to answer my own question: Yes!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
One hundred GBP for The Compleat Invocation (Vols 1 & 2 - single volume hardback edition, 1986). It was a lot of money to me at the time! Masses of highly stimulating material, though many presentations are not to my taste.

Also the Karl Fulves sets: The Pallbearers Review (Vols 1-10 in three hardback volumes, 1993) and The Chronicles (hardback, 1997). I think I paid about 150 GBP for the lot. Brilliant encyclopaedic stuff. Worth every penny.

Mike
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I bought the Siegfried and Roy tribute book.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mark R. Williams
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Mark R. Williams
More than I would care to think about for some of my rarer magic books..........Same for some of my general library books...........= O

regards,
"One more step on the pathway of Knowledge, that is if we don't break our leg crossing the street"
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Dr. Albo books. Think the most I paid for one of those was $300. Ultimate Okito is on my want list if I can find a copy when I am ready! Bill is the Siegfried and Roy tribute book the one that has the items stuck on the pages (letters etc)?
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
In over 4 million i've made
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
M.I.N.T - Vol 1 and 2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-06-03 15:44, Banester wrote:
Dr. Albo books. Think the most I paid for one of those was $300. Ultimate Okito is on my want list if I can find a copy when I am ready! Bill is the Siegfried and Roy tribute book the one that has the items stuck on the pages (letters etc)?

Yes, that's the one. This book is an example of a really well-produced magical experience. It even has some DVD's with it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Kingman
View Profile
Loyal user
Willow Spring NC
294 Posts

Profile of Kingman
I paid $300 US for a 1st edition 5th impression of Greater Magic
-*-The Card Magic of Kingman-*-

I took the Pledge
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's probably about right for that particular book. There are people who collect variations on Greater Magic. When I got my first copy, they were still available for about $15.00. There were THOUSANDS of copies of this book printed. This would have been in the 1950's. I sold all of my books about 1961.

When I got back into magic in 1972, it took me a long time to find a copy. They were selling for $285 - $325 back then. They weren't really rare, but everyone wanted one. So that drove the price up.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
I remember Al Flosso telling me that someone came into the store and told him Macy's had them on a dump table for 50 cents a piece. He bought as many as he could.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
$125 for Kaufmans Greater Magic last month. $100 plus for a bunch of books required for graduate school - most a big rip off. Medical books are the worst and most expensive.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Here's a hint when buying books for school. Go online and buy the "Teacher's Edition" on the class or subject/s you're taking. This works especially well for grammar and high school classes.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I'm not a collector, the books I buy are for the value of the contents.

Several years ago I bought a copy of Neo-Magic. I think I paid around$85 for it.
The was way before the reprint came out or any talk of it.

I been fortunate to find many excellent out of print and hard to find books for a bargin, by being patient.
I've spent countless hours going through the many used book stores in the Detroit area and Ann Arbor, when I lived there.
I found a copy of Kaufman's Greater Magic for around $50.

Those bargains got harder to find as a result of the Internet and Abe Books.

Now I tend to look for bargains on Ebay.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
henri loik
View Profile
Regular user
Near Chicago, Illinois
136 Posts

Profile of henri loik
Nine dollars.
A sphinx magazine PDF from Lybrary.
I haven't been in magic a long time though, so that's probably why I haven't spent much on books or DVDs.
henri loik
View Profile
Regular user
Near Chicago, Illinois
136 Posts

Profile of henri loik
Quote:
On 2011-12-27 17:11, henri loik wrote:
Nine dollars.
A sphinx magazine PDF from Lybrary.
I haven't been in magic a long time though, so that's probably why I haven't spent much on books or DVDs.

That is if you mean magic books. Obviously I've spent more than nine dollars on other books.
Jeff Hinchliffe
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, ON Canada
280 Posts

Profile of Jeff Hinchliffe
$500 (including buyer's premium) for Dr. Daley's personal copy of Stanyon's Magic, which he had bound into four hardcover volumes. Although it was expensive, I still don't regret it, as it really is a one-of-a-kind.

Jeff
Pick a card, any card...
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Pleasant Nightmares for $60 because I am a big fan of magic spook shows
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of 1908
$1800 for Essential Robert-Houdin Elegance Edition but I got it for a better price...Also I spent a lot for Punx books, The Legendary Scroll of Maskelyn Ye Mage ( I have two now!) and many other. I just love books, in the past I have chosen many times not to have even the basics, even starving for days(!) in order to save the money for a book!
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

You are now a true collector. Welcome to the club. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » What is the most $$$ you ever spent on a book? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL