The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Favorite Magic Shops (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Hank Lee's old shop with my Dad.
Jim Oliver
View Profile
Regular user
Las Cruces, New Mexico
141 Posts

Profile of Jim Oliver
I quadruple thirds the seconds on Williams Magic in Tucson.

Truly an amazing magic shop and if you ever get a chance to check out their
traveling magic shop, do so. You won't believe how much stuff Mr. Williams
has packed into that wagon. He was here just the other day. Love it!

Jim
Ed Marlo rules
jackofspades11
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City, Utah
65 Posts

Profile of jackofspades11
Quote:
On 2011-06-05 15:52, Jim Oliver wrote:

Jim

Traveling magic shop??? Can you give me details about that?
Thanks
-Jack
shooz
View Profile
Loyal user
Mercer, PA
269 Posts

Profile of shooz
The Cuckoo's Nest
Pittsburgh, Pa
412-481-4411

Linda, Tom and the staff are great people.

Give 'em a call or find their website.

Shooz
With you in thought(s)

Scott Shoemaker... Shooz
Joemv
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Joemv
On line my two favorite are MJM and Hocus Pocus.

Joe
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Besides Home Depot it would be Browser's Den!

I'm a New Yorker, I visited Browser's when I went up for Magicana, and I (on a VERY tight budget) didn't end up getting anything (even though I wanted to). They were very friendly and conversational. Then I wanted to check out Morissey magic, and they gave me very clear directions, to their competition, WHAT?
Then when I came back for a private performance going on, when dealing with a customer they gave great attention to his needs, and when he was buying a magazine didn't upsell the guy(customer) or anything, just made he had got exactly what he came for!

If every business, magic or otherwise operated like that, much fewer would go out of business quickly! Which made me want to be something even more. And by the way they didn't seem upset at ALL when I didn't get anything. Keep it up guys.
ekan
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of ekan
My favorite shops are 52magic.com in China, magic-recipe.com in India, penguinmagic.com and mjmmagic.com!
Jboeskin
View Profile
New user
Yuma, AZ
81 Posts

Profile of Jboeskin
I really, really, like Williams Magic Shop too! They're extremely nice and its a joy to browse around in there!
Jboeskin
View Profile
New user
Yuma, AZ
81 Posts

Profile of Jboeskin
Quote:
On 2011-06-05 19:24, jackofspades11 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-05 15:52, Jim Oliver wrote:

Jim

Traveling magic shop??? Can you give me details about that?
Thanks
-Jack

Yes I would also like some details! I did not know about this and its sound interesting!
Deadsets
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Deadsets
I live in Australia on an Island state called Tasmania which doesn't have one magic shop. Hmm theres an idea for a business one day.

So Vanishing Inc and Dan and Dave online stores are my favourites
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
Fellow On-line shoppers,

Several years ago my local shop went out of business and I was forced to do the bulk of my shopping online. What I decided to do was always use a different site and find the best few then use them exclusively. Since there are so many it's going to take me a couple more years to get through them. The most important thing for me was to be fair to everyone. I was thinking I have to be careful not to let the purchases received reflect the store (when they are just the retailer). In other words, if I ended up loving the effect that shouldn't reflect the store but rather the author or creator. At first I also thought about places I visited in person not letting that bias my evaluation of their web store. An example would be Tannen's, I have some nostalgic feelings associated with that store and thought it might be unfair to another that I have never visited in person. I try to only order no more than 3 items to avoid that disappointing "backorder" notice.

Keeping with the spirit of this section of the Café, I will not use my personal list to hammer anyone. If I've had a bad experience (very, very few thankfully) I plan on not even mentioning them.

One thing that appeals to a cheap-skate such as myself is the discount coupons or discount codes. Everyone seems to offer them but some places make it hard to find them or I don't know what's available. On the flip side some email me every other day with sales and codes.

Threads like this one are great because they give me good ideas and have helped me find some good places. The idea of a secret shopper appeals to me and I hope to offer a nice list to everyone someday of the best of the best. Without revealing anything too soon I have found that when you buy items directly from people who have developed material (Vanishing Inc, Mr. Dean Dill, SFS, Viking etc) it really makes a difference. General retailers are more of a mixed bag.

Ease of use of the web site is something that hasn't been discussed, but is one of the biggest differences I have found so far.

Keep the ideas coming, I love it.

Respectfully,

Phil
mystrmagic
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of mystrmagic
You can see the Williams Magic Mobile shop on Youtube. Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1uSVynJBNs
Jboeskin
View Profile
New user
Yuma, AZ
81 Posts

Profile of Jboeskin
I have to say that's pretty interesting and something completely different huh? I like the idea and hopefully it continues to work well for them Smile
kennewhitson
View Profile
New user
Kansas
69 Posts

Profile of kennewhitson
Barry's Magic shop in Rockville Maryland http://www.barrysmagicshop.com (1400 miles from my house but worht the commute)

Stevens Magic in Wichita KS

Great shops with great owners.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Since I am up here in the city, as they say, I will plan to stop in to Misdirections today. Looking forward to it.
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
My faforate magik stoor is 3 milez far from the howz. I to try not bye magik from compewter.
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Quote:
On 2011-07-15 03:17, mystrmagic wrote:
You can see the Williams Magic Mobile shop on Youtube. Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1uSVynJBNs

That shop is new and also very cool. They have a full time shop in Tucson as well. Give them a call and chat.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
dkarahan
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of dkarahan
Either directly from the producer or from penguin magic if possible Smile
Ruppenthal
View Profile
Regular user
I'm busy, so I only have
104 Posts

Profile of Ruppenthal
Quote:
On 2011-07-21 16:33, kennewhitson wrote:
Barry's Magic shop in Rockville Maryland http://www.barrysmagicshop.com (1400 miles from my house but worht the commute)

Stevens Magic in Wichita KS

Great shops with great owners.

I 2nd the recommendation for Barry's in Rockville. A fantastic shop, and Barry is great (and so is his staff). A wide selection of effects and good prices, too.
yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
Greetings...

Does William's post any kind of schedule for where their mobile shop will be?

Thanks,
Joe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Favorite Magic Shops (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL