The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2011 entrée: Mark Lewis » » Battling boredom » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Mark, you do many different types of performance, as do I. I don't know if you find this, but I find that if I do something too regularly I get bored of it. Too many kids shows, and I have to change the tricks or remove them to keep myself interested. If I get a good run of hypnosis shows I find myself experimenting and dropping my best bits to keep myself on my toes.
I love any gig that pushes me beyond my comfort zone or is new to me.
Can you do the same routines year in year out, or do you get bored of them?
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
No. I do not get bored with them. Except the Svengali deck which has driven me crazy. I have been doing some of my repertoire for 50 years or so. The reason I do not get bored with the same tricks is because the audiences are different. It is the new reactions from new people that keeps the thing interesting to me. I have never tried to sell the tricks anyway-my soul purpose is to sell ME. My character and personality. The tricks just come along for the ride. Potassy also made the same point. Again same tricks for decades. That is not to say that I don't introduce new tricks. I think you have to do this for commercial purposes as well as to keep fresh. But very often with many people new tricks have been introduced to entertain the magician himself rather than his audiences.

The advantage of doing the same stuff over many years is that you have it is honed to perfection and you can do it in your sleep. You can concentrate on the audience instead of the tricks. The main danger of course is that you drop details. See my dropped details thread elsewhere. With new stuff this isn't quite so much of a problem.

I often mention the presentation section of Expert Card Technique. This covers the question of "something new" very well. I don't have the book in front of me so I will quote from memory. I think it said, "It is of course desirable for the conjurer to interpolate new tricks into his repertoire but very often this is as a result of a pell mell desire for the conjurer to do tricks, tricks and more tricks not so much for the entertainment of his audiences but for the entertainment of the conjurer himself"

I must find the book and see how near the above few lines were to what was actually said. I bet I am not far off.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Your dropped details thread (which you also expounded on many moons ago somewhere else here) is great advice. I rotate tricks out of my show for a year or so (boredom) and when I rotated one back in it was not getting the reactions I remembered. Then I read your piece on dropped details, went back to my original presentation, and got the same strong reactions as ever. Tremendous advice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2011 entrée: Mark Lewis » » Battling boredom » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL