The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Best mentalism effect by tenyo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drorwis
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
103 Posts

Profile of drorwis
I would like to know, what in your opinion are the best tenyo mentalism effects.
I just purchased "fortune donut" and it's great, so I ordered the "fortune sticks",
any ideas on what to get next?
BTW, I'd rather it won't invovle playing cards...
and off course, it needs to be something still available,

Thx
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Future Clock comes to mind, very direct mentalism. I also like mindscanner, which serves a mindreading purposes obviously. Both are available, although not necessarily through the usual dealers... Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Bird Watcher and Grand Derby prediction are my two favorite Mental Tenyo effects. Although difficult to find Diabolicus is a favorite of many here as well. You will enjoy Fortune Sticks, has been well reviewed by many.

John
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Diabolicus. Watch eBay and save your pennies. Lots and LOTS of pennies.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On 2011-06-13 15:23, J M Talbot wrote:
Bird Watcher and Grand Derby prediction are my two favorite Mental Tenyo effects.

Right, that's another great recommendation!!
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Cool thread! Without using cards, I'd add Vault-Vision, Occult Board/Menta-Marvel, Eye Of The Idol & Match-Sticks. All discontinued, but fairly easy to locate.
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Quote:
On 2011-06-13 15:33, David Thiel wrote:
Diabolicus. Watch eBay and save your pennies. Lots and LOTS of pennies.

David

My Wife figured out DIABOLICUS within 10 minutes of performing the trick.

It's technically quite clever but it's not too tough to figure out. If you perform it with a silk/hankie, better, again, brilliant magical engineering, I would say just decent as a trick. Do you have any special methods for performance?
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Quote:
On 2011-06-13 16:34, Wank wrote:
Cool thread! Without using cards, I'd add Vault-Vision, Occult Board/Menta-Marvel, Eye Of The Idol & Match-Sticks. All discontinued, but fairly easy to locate.

Eye of the Idol is the best IMHO
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Match sticks for me
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Funny how it goes. You can mystify 99% of the planet with some razzle-dazzle illusion, but show wife, & she'll solve it in like 5-10 minutes. What's up with dat? What is this space-time continium busting, ego breakin' phenomenon? I'm afflicted, Houdini 103126 has suffered, Killertweety has refered to this before also I believe. Whoa is us humble illusionists.
drorwis
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
103 Posts

Profile of drorwis
Thanks for all the info ,BTW, any chance of telling me where to get all those tenyo's that are not available on ebay and such?
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
PM me or write a mail, I have lots on mint vintage stuff: http://www.65roses.de for a small overview (more to be added).

Felix
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
My personal favourites are the same as J M Talbot ones: Grand Derby Prediction and Bird Watcher - easy to do, almost impossible to figure out, a nice story/presentation is possible when performing the effect and they always gave me a great response from the audience!

Other great effects:
- Mystic Scope is just fun to play with and the props look 'cute' (according to misses Killertweety Smile ) - it's an improvement over Hyper Vision as most of you know because there is a locking mechanism.
- Mental Marvel: also a big improvement over the classic 'Occult Board'. The props feel very professional and look great.
- Ghost Lamp should be (is) great too but I'm still working on a 'slimmer' gimmick.

Some personal thoughts about ...
- Diabolicus: very clever gimmick. However for me there are better mentalism effects; I mean, place a block with a chosen symbol on top in a box and the magician will guess what symbol it is ... there are so many effects that have this 'setup'/effect ... (Mummy Mystery, Die-Vision, the trick with a die and two black boxes with a red lid (I cant remember what it's called) etc. ...);
- Mindscanner: I find it to be a bit 'bulky'. In stead of buying a second Mindscanner as a 'spare' for myself (I like to have spares of the items that may 'brake' over time ...) I bought a John Cornelius Thought Transmitter and it is far superior in every way (and it's cheaper nowadays Smile) ... but it's not Tenyo of course Smile
- Eye Of The Idle, an EXCELLENT and VERY special/particular effect - I love it! However ... you need to be very carefull no to move 'some parts' - I've been 'busted' more then once Smile

'Let downs' are in my opinion:
- as Wank already mentioned in another thread, X-Ray File isn't as good as what people are paying for it these days (among a lot of other discontinued Tenyo of course Smile ) - you really need excellent light conditions and a very good eyesight! Nonetheless, a very clever gimmick.
- Fortune Donut, also mentioned by Wank (I think): if you're not very carefull it doesn't work and above all ... it needs refills.

By the way, one of the tricks I'm missing in my collection is Image Generator (the T-shirt) ... any opininions about this? And does anyone have (a clean Smile ) one for sale or trade?
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Image Generator basically bases upon a simple force of two pairs of objects, which (combined) result in the picture shown on the back of the shirt.
Nice idea, mildly baffling, imho. Smile
I don't like that there is counting involved, though...
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
It's like Nicolino states...nice idea, mildly baffling, based on picture association. The cool bit is that it's on a T-shirt (I know of no other illusion using clothing, except the tie gag), & it at 1st appears to be kind of spontaneous to the spectator. It's better if you have a lovely assistant to wear it. Wow, just noticed...50th post. Coolio bonus!
magic patagonia
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magic patagonia
Bird Watcher
drorwis
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
103 Posts

Profile of drorwis
Thanks Felix,
I will go over the list...
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of towledge
Bird Watcher may be a bit on the corny side for many, but it is one of the few Tenyo items where you can build an entire routine around and not just a quick trick. Each phase builds drama over the previous.
WayneL
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of WayneL
Bird watcher, hands down.
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Bird Watcher gets my vote. I just got mine a few weeks ago and it's quite clever.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Best mentalism effect by tenyo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL