The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The Evolution of Card Manipulation by Lee Ang Hsuan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
436 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
I just wanted to mention that Lee Ang Hsuan who just performed as a special guest at Magic Castle for a week started to sell his Evolution DVD. I guess I was one of the first to receive it directly from him. If you are looking for new card manipulation techniques make sure to check it out. There many new techniques you will like and most of them are on a DVD for the first time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4DVDlc-ba0&NR=1

regards,
Bojan
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1816 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I hope the DVD is better than the trailer.
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
436 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Yes it is but everyone has to decide for himself. Here is Lee Ang`s clip from TMA last year to see what you can expect from his DVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ56BW26sdo
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
Hi Bojan (and David!), where would I get the dvd from? I have done some googling, but to no avail.

I would love to have a play around with this stuff, albeit my aging fingers will allow!

I agree, David, the trailer is a bit of a 'blinder', isn't it - but then, that seems to be the contemporary way.

Thanks for sharing, Bojan.

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
436 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
You can order it directly from Lee. His email address is laserlee0721@gmail.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15400 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bojan, do you have a source on those unique cards in colors and jumbo color cards?
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
436 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Bill I can ask Lee where he gets his cards and send you links on your email.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15400 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Now this is a manipulation magic act! Very well done, and many magical moments in it. Love the finale as well.

Looking forward to hearing from Lee about his video.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1478 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 13:51, wmhegbli wrote:
Bojan, do you have a source on those unique cards in colors and jumbo color cards?

http://www.cards4magic.co.uk

These are Bicycles "The Red Deck", "The Yellow Deck" and so on - absurdly ugly cards from upclose, but look awesome on stage. As for the big ones, I don't know.

On a sde note - It didn't take much long until An Halim clones start to come up, lol.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
635 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
I believe the jumbo cards technique are not taught on the dvd.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1478 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 20:29, yin_howe wrote:
I believe the jumbo cards technique are not taught on the dvd.

They look pretty much the same as with regular cards. These jumbos have all blck backs, which truly works miracles (effect-wise) for BP'ing productions.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
Thanks, Bojan.

@ Fabio - they are ugly close up, and yes, they do look completely different from an audience/stage point of view. The web address you gave, is where I got mine from.

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15400 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Good news, Lee Ang Hsuan's DVD will be distributed through Murphy's Magic. So it will be available through your favorite dealer soon, or order direct through his email address.
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
405 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Grrrr... Magic is so strange in that the market is flooded with ideas at a pace that (especially in the realm of manipulation because it is not as well documented as close up magic) makes it difficult to tell whose idea belongs to whom. One of the multiple productions he has been doing I have been doing for years with no intention of "releasing." Another looks exactly the same as one of An Ha Lim's that (when I discussed it with him) he had no intention of "releasing."
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1478 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2011-06-26 22:42, Peter Pitchford wrote:
Grrrr... Magic is so strange in that the market is flooded with ideas at a pace that (especially in the realm of manipulation because it is not as well documented as close up magic) makes it difficult to tell whose idea belongs to whom. One of the multiple productions he has been doing I have been doing for years with no intention of "releasing." Another looks exactly the same as one of An Ha Lim's that (when I discussed it with him) he had no intention of "releasing."

Yeah... And that is sadly being called "evolution".
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
405 Posts

There's a possibility that he came up with these completely independently. That's what makes it (the market) so frustrating right now. There's really no sure fire way to know (unless you "release" yours first - but some artists prefer not to sell their ideas and material). Smile
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
796 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
To sell or give away hard techniques ... that will take years to perfect is much better than to give away secrets .. that's said
I see no harm in spreading new and inovative moves in manipulation we are in need of it more than new illusions because what ever you do you wount be able to discluase them they are like socer every bidy knows how to kick a ball but only one RONALDINO >
ok we don't want thtis to be in wrong hands but again who cares about techniques / ?????????onluy us
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
405 Posts

Sometimes an innovative technique is the results of years of labor and creative expression and imagination. It hurts deeply when when someone (I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case here) teaches someone else's intellectual property without permission and proper credit. We need *ethical* spreading of new and innovative moves in manipulation.
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
436 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
796 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Believe me peter this happened to me many times in SPAIN including on who participated in Sgt at first I was angry .. but then I discovered that some of them acknoleged me for the move .. it made me prowed !!
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
436 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Peter what move are you talking about ? Lee Ang Hsuan used C-palm in 2005 so I doubt he copied An Ha Lim. Also, how do we know that An Ha Lim was first to use it ? I remember Nagisa used a similar palm on a video that was produced in 80ies ! Anyway, Lee tried to credit everyone properly after performance of each move. I know that he missed to credit Vladimir Mikek for twirling card production and Patrick Reymond for producing more than one card in each hand by twirling and he was very sorry that DVD was already out when I mentioned it.
kipling100
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of kipling100
This DVD looks good, thanks for the update Bojan.
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
405 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-06-30 12:05, bojanbarisic wrote:
Peter what move are you talking about ? Lee Ang Hsuan used C-palm in 2005 so I doubt he copied An Ha Lim. Also, how do we know that An Ha Lim was first to use it ? I remember Nagisa used a similar palm on a video that was produced in 80ies ! Anyway, Lee tried to credit everyone properly after performance of each move. I know that he missed to credit Vladimir Mikek for twirling card production and Patrick Reymond for producing more than one card in each hand by twirling and he was very sorry that DVD was already out when I mentioned it.

We don't. That is why I am expressing my frustration. Read my first post. Manipulation is not as well documented as close up magic and ideas are sometimes independently created around the same time. Part of the frustration in the magic market right now is that one person creates with no intention of "releasing" and someone copies or independently comes up with the same thing and "releases" it. This can be quite unnerving for the guy who wants to only perform with it.

My second post was a response to something someone else said. I never accused him of taking these moves. There is no way for me to know whether he did or not. I live on a different continent and I have never met him - heck, I haven't even seen the DVD.
Tony Noice
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Tony Noice
First let me congratulate Perter Pitchford on his manipulative act last week at the SAM convention in Pittsburgh. It was the most original and exciting approach I've seen to this kind of work in many years. Also, a general question, so many manipulators at the convention were doing the type of productions this thread is devoted to, is the Evolution DVD the only source or have other books/videos been devoted specifically to moves developed after the days when split fans and back and front palm single productions formed the bulk of most card production repertoires?
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1478 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Take a look at Juliana Chen's DVD. She teaches a few bits from her signature style.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
sam2452
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of sam2452
I wish he teach the Jumbo card production.
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On 2011-07-18 15:02, Tony Noice wrote:
First let me congratulate Perter Pitchford on his manipulative act last week at the SAM convention in Pittsburgh. It was the most original and exciting approach I've seen to this kind of work in many years.

Ditto. Great performance Peter.
Bob
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6931 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I may be missing something here but where can you do an act that you can throw five dozen cards all over the stage besides a magic convention? While I fully appreciate the skill, I frankly found it a little boring. How many ways can you throw cards in the air no matter what the color?

Look at what Cardini, Neil Foster, LePaul, and others did. There was a style and variety of the productions. And the stage was not left in a mess. As one pro said at the convention (who is a very good manipulator) why did they have a hat on stage...the cards never hit it.

Peter's act was well conceived and obviously the FISM judges thought so also as he did qualify for FISM. Granted maybe it was a little inside as a tribute to Cardini but I have seen it play well for the lay audiences also.

I bet the stage crew wore out four brooms on this contest. I will give credit to the gentleman from Korea who had a large round drop cloth on the stage to help with the clean up.

I think it is interesting to watch the trends in the latest wave of manipulation. First it was Chavez, then Neil Foster, then McBride and now the Korean style. It just goes in cycles.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
JNeal
View Profile
Special user
941 Posts

Profile of JNeal
With Richard, I concur.
Magic conventions, magic seminars, conclaves, invitationals and other shows featuring only magicians... have created a secondary market for people who might have otherwise gone into the (nearly disappearing!) professional show business. Add to this the ancillary market of DVD and download sales, and you have a strong incentive to see more of this trend.

It means that they can willingly disregard the requirements of professional working conditions, as well as the realities of having sufficient variety, contrast and personality. In a professional arena they would otherwise necessarily have to compete with strong singers, dancers, or comics as well as entertain laymen who might judge a magician differently than an audience of other magic hobbyists would. Sometimes, we as magicians, are so fascinated by the promise of a new idea, that the fundamental objective of creating a impenetrable mystery is lost.

For example, if the artist whose video is at, or near the top of this thread wants to be a 'working pro' in the traditional sense, he would be best served in working on making the steals and body loads more deceptive and with stronger misdirection. If he is content to perform in all the newer hobbyist's markets, then he is serving himself well.

Regards-
JNeal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1635 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 15:25, JNeal wrote:
With Richard, I concur.
Magic conventions, magic seminars, conclaves, invitationals and other shows featuring only magicians... have created a secondary market for people who might have otherwise gone into the (nearly disappearing!) professional show business. Add to this the ancillary market of DVD and download sales, and you have a strong incentive to see more of this trend.

It means that they can willingly disregard the requirements of professional working conditions, as well as the realities of having sufficient variety, contrast and personality. In a professional arena they would otherwise necessarily have to compete with strong singers, dancers, or comics as well as entertain laymen who might judge a magician differently than an audience of other magic hobbyists would. Sometimes, we as magicians, are so fascinated by the promise of a new idea, that the fundamental objective of creating a impenetrable mystery is lost.

For example, if the artist whose video is at, or near the top of this thread wants to be a 'working pro' in the traditional sense, he would be best served in working on making the steals and body loads more deceptive and with stronger misdirection. If he is content to perform in all the newer hobbyist's markets, then he is serving himself well.

Regards-
JNeal

What a great post! Can we make this a sticky post that everyone MUST read when they start doing magic??

I do give them credit for finding a market for what they love. It seems to be a market that will support some of them as I know many people that just work for magicians. Between Conventions, Lectures, Books/DVD sales etc., they do very well.

My only point of divergence with the above is that I don't believe the people in this secondary market would otherwise have gone into a professional market. I believe most would have just fallen by the wayside with so many others who can't compete in the public sector.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The Evolution of Card Manipulation by Lee Ang Hsuan (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.240893 seconds, requiring 104 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [6] [5] [6] [8] [7] [2] [5] [3]