The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Do's and Don'ts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Weisszach
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
70 Posts

Profile of Weisszach
Decided to fully concentrate on card magic as previously I have never really been focused and dabbled in different areas (this was when I was much younger). Would anyone have any advise on Do's and Don'ts of starting out in magic.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
The "sticky" threads at the top of the "New to magic?" thread is a good place to start. There aren't really any concrete rules.

I would try to visit a local international brotherhood of magicians (IBM) ring. That way, you will have access to people who can help you determine what to pursue as far as purchases and knowledge.

Otherwise, have fun!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I think a good start would be "The Royal Road To Card Magic". There is a book and a set of DVD's. Depending on your learning style, either one of these would be helpful. If you want more details on these, PM me.

Others here mention the "Card College" products, which I understand are also very good.

We also have a resident genius here on the Café when it comes to card work, in the person of Harry Lorayne. He frequently posts here, and is a storehouse of excellent knowledge on the subject.

I am not a card worker, due to physical problems with my hands (Dupytren's Contracture) which makes it very difficult to do any sleight of hand work...so I can't be of much help to you, other than recommending the above resources.

Good luck!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Thanks, Mike, but all I can do in answer to things like this is plug my books - then, of course, there will be screams about that. But, just trying to help. I've written quite a few books Just for Weisszach. Just go to my magic site (listed under this post with the word "magic" in it) and click on all the magic stuff to see what's available. Then, any questions (or to order) go to my personal email address (also under this post, with the word "earthlink" in it). Best I can do. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Harry,

That should be enough. To try to extract hours of free info from you would be sort of like stealing another magician's routine without paying for it.

You spent the time to write the books. You spent the time to create the effects. You should be paid for your work. I've got no problem with that!

...but, then again, I am one of those "evil capitalist pigs"!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Weisszach
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
70 Posts

Profile of Weisszach
I do appreciate all your information and advice. I don't want to be seen as griffting other peoples hard work just keen to learn.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Do practice. Do perform, Do enjoy, Do remember that it is about the spectator more than the magician (in my view)..
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
To add to what djurmann said, it is also about the performance, NOT the trick. If you have a great presentation and a great connection with the audience, you can wow them with a kid's trick! It never ceases to amaze me how adults will react to a well-performed sponge rabbit routine!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Oh and DON't worry if you get caught but do practice so it doesn't happen often ;o)
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Practice, Practice, Practice. Then… practice some more. Then Practice with family and friends. Then develop a style that fits you. Then practice that style and perform for everyone and anyone. Then for the rest of your life or at least while you want to perform magic, keep practicing.

It takes time but it is well worth the effort.
Life of Magic!
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Do Read
Do have Fun and take a break if it starts feeling like a chore.
Jack_of_chains
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Jack_of_chains
Quote:
On 2011-06-27 08:39, Mike Maturen wrote:
I think a good start would be "The Royal Road To Card Magic". There is a book and a set of DVD's. Depending on your learning style, either one of these would be helpful. If you want more details on these, PM me.

As a fellow newbie to magic I gotta say that this book is brilliant. Most magic books either require prior knowledge to properly understand or read as if they're written for 5-year-olds. Royal Road is easy for beginners to understand, teaches things useful for adult magicians and starts right at the beginning, with no prior knowledge needed. (Practice is still needed though. They haven't eliminated that bit.)
*double-A-magic*
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, England, UK
255 Posts

Profile of *double-A-magic*
Quote:
On 2011-06-30 02:39, Jack_of_chains wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-27 08:39, Mike Maturen wrote:

As a fellow newbie to magic I gotta say that this book is brilliant. Most magic books either require prior knowledge to properly understand or read as if they're written for 5-year-olds. Royal Road is easy for beginners to understand, teaches things useful for adult magicians and starts right at the beginning, with no prior knowledge needed. (Practice is still needed though. They haven't eliminated that bit.)

I am also a newbie to magic and wish to echo the above posts. The RRTCM is a fantastic book, it explains everything you need to get started in card magic.

With regards to learning styles my advice would be to get the book alone or the book and DVD set. Do not get the DVD set alone. I was bought the 5 disc DVD set by R. Paul Wilson as a Xmas present expecting it to be sufficient however Wilson hmiself states at the start of the DVD that it should be used in addition to the book. I would recommend both as I read the book, practice the shuffle/slight etc. and then watch the relevant chapter on the DVD to consolidate the learning. That's just my preference, I know some would recommend just the book.

Good luck and enjoy! Smile

AA
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice."
<BR>
<BR>- Joseph Dunninger -
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Just to add ...if the RRTCM feels like a chore. you are not alone
Athelus
View Profile
New user
Aberdeen, Scotland
59 Posts

Profile of Athelus
RRTCM was a bit dry for my personal tastes. It is a very good book though. I also would reccomend Card College both the books and the DVD set that is out for it. The books are less dry and the DVD set from Robberto Giobbi is actually enjoyable to watch.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
NLewis
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of NLewis
DO'S:

Practice
Get good books
Get good DVD's
Watch as much magic as you can

DON'T:

Ask for money when you're not good enough yet
Get dissuaded if someone knows how you did a trick
Con people Smile
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
The rules of a sleight of hand artist
are three, and all others are vain.
The 1st & the 2nd are practice…
And the 3rd one is practice again.
-Edward Victor-

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Lash
View Profile
Regular user
Lansing, MI
161 Posts

Profile of Lash
A lot of this has been covered already. But learn the basics and concentrate on becomeing a good performer. Figure out what style of presentation works well for you. This is only accomplished by practice and trial & error. Don't make the mistake that so many do and buy anything and everything and try to learn 100 tricks at once. Concentrate on a few basic moves, sleights, and tricks at a time. Once you have those mastered, then move on and start to add more to your repertoire. Don't be afraid of making mistakes, especially in the beginning. That's how we learn. Have a close group of family and/or friends to practice on and seek their input. Find a good mentor if you can. Number one rule: have fun!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Don't be afraid to ask questions or advice of more experienced performers. Ask others to critique your work/routines.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
mr.matt
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of mr.matt
With DVDs be careful not to make your fingers try to move exactly like the person you are watching. They wont. You need to find your own groove. I think that is why sometimes books are better, because they tell you where you fingers should be and then you have to make it happen comfortably. I know when I learn from a video sometimes I replicate exactly what I see and it looks and feels un-natural with my hands.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Do's and Don'ts (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL