The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What's your favourite way to ring one in? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Stevini
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Stevini
I have always been fascinated with s******g the d*** in the most convincing manner, and continue to search for better ways.
I realise that this will be a difficult subject to discuss in veiled speech, but we can but try. I'm loathed to use the term r*** in a c***** after that term was made public on UK TV, by the big one.
Tommy Wonder's, incredibly scary way of doing it really does work, easy, obvious but brilliant, and MV got the most basic method past P and T; They knew he'd done it, but didn't see it; perfect timing there. But if you did that more than once in a routine, the penny might drop. I like the idea of doing it without putting it 'away' at all, at least not visibly. I also think it looks much better if the d*** never goes back in the b**; that way the spec thinks that it has never left their sight.
Doing it very well, allows us to produce incredible miracles IMO.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I simply turn sideways to the audience, drop the deck in my pocket, and grab the new one. It's all about misdirection. Never once have I been caught out, in fact, in my Ambitous card routine, I do this three times. The great thing about it is that for most effects, the spectators aren't looking for it. It's akin to the final load for Cups and Balls.
Of course, it depends on what your routine is......if there's heat on the deck, the move is much more difficult and transparent.
Potty Smile
Stevini
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Stevini
Thanks guys, I am new here ;p and didn't know about the secret area.
Hey potty, I use that too, but as you say, it depends on the routine. The extra confusion created when it is apparently in your hands or on the table, in view, all the time, is worth the little effort IMO. Bob Fitch has a couple of cracking moves on his To**t DVD set which I like.
j100taylor, very good, I giggled.
all the best
******* ;-)
magicreviews
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of magicreviews
Actually the first one I ever learned was Phil Goldstein's Mat Switch which is perfect for when you are sitting down at a table. Different conditions require different methods. I switch out multiple decks throughout my standup as I reach inside the table for something else with deck in hand. Once behind the table, I do whatever I want.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Stveini

Still don't know what you guys are talking about Smile

JT
Lakewood, Ohio
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Sounds like dirty talk when I read this lol
Stevini
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Stevini
Quote:
On 2011-06-27 15:25, magicreviews wrote:
Actually the first one I ever learned was Phil Goldstein's Mat Switch which is perfect for when you are sitting down at a table. Different conditions require different methods. I switch out multiple decks throughout my standup as I reach inside the table for something else with deck in hand. Once behind the table, I do whatever I want.

Yea that's nice. John Archer does a nice one with a servante, using table edge to hide the deed with the cooler under a notebook on the rear table edge.
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
I usually just put the cards in a box and go in to the pocket with the cards to take something else out and then I bring in the new deck.
Stevini
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Stevini
There is a fantastic example of this move in the Russduck book, (not the exact copies of the magazines, but the book with the extras). There's a cool mechanical gimmick switch, but far better, a really cunning one involving a home made sort of Top**. It happens right out in the open....or at least it appears to.
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Roberto Giobbi filmed a DVD on this topic with the Buck Twins in San Diego after MagicCon this year. Given his expertise on the subject, and the Buck quality with their instructional DVD productions, this should be a valuable resource. I don't know when it is coming out.

John
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
Quote:
On 2011-07-11 20:11, jonnyboy wrote:
Roberto Giobbi filmed a DVD on this topic with the Buck Twins in San Diego after MagicCon this year. Given his expertise on the subject, and the Buck quality with their instructional DVD productions, this should be a valuable resource. I don't know when it is coming out.

John

Mr. Giobbi discussed deck switches in two Genii Sessions: in July 2009 (pg 20) and Sept. 2009 . If you have access to the excellent online database of Genii issues, these articles are well worth searching out.

Larry S.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
I have only just figured out what the heck you are all talking about. At the risk of sounding like Harry Lorayne there is a whole chapter in my "The Long and the Short of It" Svengali book about switching the deck with many methods none of which I actually use since I find the best method of all is simply to say, "here is a trick deck that I purchased at a magic shop"

But if I did want to switch the deck I did describe some pretty good methods which naturally I stole from other sources. I am a pitchman after all. I think I actually credited them because I was in a generous mood. I do remember there are switches from Joe Stuthard, Al Baker and others contained therein.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"much better if the d*** never goes back in the b**;"

This is idiotic. Deck switches. Magicians sometimes switch decks, and have perfectly oblique conversations about how, when and why without resort to a verbal equivalent of this silly asterisk convention. I'm pretty certain a lay person looking to uncover the secrets of deck switches through your post - as opposed to, say, a look at the Card College section on the topic - would have sufficient savvy and motivation to break your code. If you're so earnest about secret keeping, why not direct everyone to the secret smorgasbord or confidential Café or whatever the high-security thread venue is. Making 50 posts is probably at least slightly more difficult than getting a fake ID sufficient to get through airport security, another charade that, like advertising one's fidelity to secrecy by pointless ****** gestures, some are weirdly attached to.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
There was a pamphlet that came out way back called 25 Methods for Switching Decks by Floyd D. Brown. It's a mixed bag - some methods involve props, some not.

http://www.winklerswarehouse.biz/MagicBooks.html

It was reviewed in Paul Fleming Book Reviews, Vol. 1 (1944)
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Stevini
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Stevini
Quote:
On 2011-07-11 20:48, ljsviol wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-11 20:11, jonnyboy wrote:

John

Thanks John, that's most useful, I'll look them up.
The interest I have in the most clean way of doing this is due to a routine I'm working on. If the audience never lose sight of the deck, which comes out the box at the start and remains, throughout, in view, and is used for other effects during the routine; then my final effect will blow their minds. That's why I'm interested in exploring this area more.

Mr. Giobbi discussed deck switches in two Genii Sessions: in July 2009 (pg 20) and Sept. 2009 . If you have access to the excellent online database of Genii issues, these articles are well worth searching out.

Larry S.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2011-07-13 06:11, R.E. Byrnes wrote:

This is idiotic. Deck switches. Magicians sometimes switch decks, and have perfectly oblique conversations about how, when and why without resort to a verbal equivalent of this silly asterisk convention. I'm pretty certain a lay person looking to uncover the secrets of deck switches through your post - as opposed to, say, a look at the Card College section on the topic - would have sufficient savvy and motivation to break your code. If you're so earnest about secret keeping, why not direct everyone to the secret smorgasbord or confidential Café or whatever the high-security thread venue is. Making 50 posts is probably at least slightly more difficult than getting a fake ID sufficient to get through airport security, another charade that, like advertising one's fidelity to secrecy by pointless ****** gestures, some are weirdly attached to.

Now you're just being silly. Surely there are scores of non magicians scouring the Internet in search of how these things are done. Topits, holdouts and chop cups are great, but it is the almighty asterisk that is keeping out art alive Smile
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Oh don't worry. If any layman comes across the Magic Café he will merely assume that it is a group therapy site for the mentally disturbed.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2011-07-13 19:33, Mark Lewis wrote:
Oh don't worry. If any layman comes across the Magic Café he will merely assume that it is a group therapy site for the mentally disturbed.

Gentlemen with the
Emotional
Eccentricities of
Kindergarteners

:D
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Stevini
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Stevini
Quote:
On 2011-07-13 06:11, R.E. Byrnes wrote:

Thanks for your 'constructive' input......and breathe....and relax ;-)
Stevini
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Stevini
Quote:
On 2011-07-13 06:52, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
There was a pamphlet that came out way back called 25 Methods for Switching Decks by Floyd D. Brown. It's a mixed bag - some methods involve props, some not.

http://www.winklerswarehouse.biz/MagicBooks.html

It was reviewed in Paul Fleming Book Reviews, Vol. 1 (1944)

Thanks so much Max,
I got this booklet and it's fabulous.
I also got this http://www.danielmadison.co.uk/Cold.html and it is truly wonderful. Some really bold moves in here, some in full view. Brilliant value for money.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What's your favourite way to ring one in? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL