The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Snap silk production? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

awacs
View Profile
New user
SF Bay Area
14 Posts

Profile of awacs
Help please - Could someone tell me where, in Rice's, is the description of the snap silk production (aka diminishing silk prod)? I have all 4 volumes, just can't seem to locate it. It's in there somewhere, isn't it? I've probably been staring right at it.

Thanks much,
Aram Schiffman
Rice
View Profile
Regular user
Ruth Rice Crone
106 Posts

Profile of Rice
Dear Aram,

The Diminishing Silk routine is in Volume I, page 436. It is also detailed in Rice's Capers with Colors publication which is available on the Rice/Silk King Studios website http://www.silkkingmagic.com. This publication describes using 7 or 8 silks ranging in size from 9" to 36" (using two 36" silks for a total of 8 silks if you choose to change the 9" silk back into a 36" silk). Hope this is helpful.

Ruth Rice Crone
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Aram,

The Snap Silk Production is a real audience killer. My wife Lucy uses it in her routine. It only works every time. I need more effects like that!

I hope you have it perfected by now.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Check out Mr. Electric Video from Stevens Magic. He tells all for a production of several silks all the same size.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I might add this is originally Eric Lewis' idea and can be found in the Eric Lewis trilogy series that was published by Mike Caveney.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Rice
View Profile
Regular user
Ruth Rice Crone
106 Posts

Profile of Rice
Mr. Hughes is correct in stating that this concept originated with Eric C. Lewis of Northampton, England. My Dad, Harold Rice, received Mr. Lewis's concent to the exclusive release of the new principle in the United States in 1943 and published it in our Capers with Colors publication referenced in my earlier post. This publication has been reprinted four times, most recently by me in 2002. Mr. Lewis first published the concept in 1941 in his "More Studies in Mystery".
The effect takes a bit of practice and gets its common name of "Snap Silk" because of the snap method of producing the silks. When done properly, it is a beautiful effect.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Is this anything like the silk production effects, ie; produce livestock, bottle of wine etc from silks?

Thanks

Wayne
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Wayne, the only thing that “snap silk” has in common with other productions effects (bottle of wine from silk or livestock from silk) is that it is a production and it uses silks.

In snap silk you will display one silk scarf (say a 36 inch scarf) you will take one corner of the scarf and flick or snap it in the air (just like you used to do in the high school locker room). Instantly and magically a second scarf appears tied to the end of the first scarf! This scarf is the next size down (say 27 inch) but it could be the same size (as I perform it!). The two are untied and the second scarf is snapped and yet a third scarf (next smaller size or same size) instantly and magically appears tied to its end! And on and on until you have snapped several scarves into view.

NOW you can gather all of those scarves together and produce something from under them, say a rabbit, dove, or bottle of wine.

I got the Rice "Capers in Colors" booklet back in the mid 60’s and almost immediately added a Snap Silk routine into my act.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Harry......
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Perhaps bringing this topic back to the top of the page will help you in your research.

Snap Silk is a tool that needs to be in every magician's bag of tricks. If nothing else, use it for your card silk production!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
shadowmanmagic
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
8 Posts

Profile of shadowmanmagic
Every version i’ve seen, the silks appear to be the same size and do not diminish is size. So I would reiteratethe originsl question but will add, having read capers in colour, and Rices encyclopedia, even watching Marvyn Roy’s afdition, I can’r sem to find a version that either

1) doesn’t unfurl all silks or
2) need to be snapped hard to release the next silk.

So what am I missing?
"Somewhere, there is a place between darkness and light, where illusion becomes reality... that's where I live!"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Shadowmanmagic,

Yes, some magicians produce silks that are the same size for the snap production. You don't have to have the diminishing silks effect. The late Marconick from Holland created a version, producing silks of the same size. He also had a different way of attaching the silks to each other.

Of course all the silks should not unfurl, only one at a time. Do you have it prepared to loose.

If you have to snap hard, then you have the bundle to tight.

I think you are missing that this not a self working effect, and you are the person in control.

Really, you watched the Marvin Roy DVD and still cannot assemble and produce the silks correctly.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Shadowmanmagic, or comment about the Marvin Roy video, showing his process. Are you saying, as he uses and folds a 36 inch silk, you cannot pick up and use a 18 inch silk and fold it in the same manner as he illustrates?

The only thing I would not do is his scotch tape "security' idea, I have never needed to use it with 18 and 24 inch silks.

I can only suggest you release you "tunnel vision" concerning size.
shadowmanmagic
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
8 Posts

Profile of shadowmanmagic
That’s not what i’m sating at all. What i’m saying is, I looked at the references listed here and was curious if there were any other ones specifically to the version I see 90% of the acts use. Now I tried to don'that without belittling anyone here in the forum because I don’t portend to be the all knowing, super magi who can take a trick performed with a blue deck and say anyone who can’t do the same mives with a new giant red deck is stupid because there may be a manuscript which addresses the handling of the slights better.

But thanks for your input. I will rdview the Marvyn Roy DVD
"Somewhere, there is a place between darkness and light, where illusion becomes reality... that's where I live!"
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Laflin Magic Store (run by Duane Laflin's son, David Laflin), sells a DVD on the Snap Silk, by Duane Laflin. So, there's another place to learn the set up and performance.

https://davidandteesha.com/product/how-t......ilk-dvd/

That DVD is also sold as a part of this 6 volume set about silk magic (that's the set I have):

https://davidandteesha.com/product/exper......dvd-set/

They also sell a set of silks to perform the effect (identical size, not diminishing):

https://davidandteesha.com/product/snap-silks/

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Snap silk production? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL