The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Charlier Cut Problems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aussiemagik
View Profile
New user
Norfolk, VA
87 Posts

Profile of aussiemagik
Everytime I drop the bottom half and pivot upwards (I hope that makes sense) I seem to always drag the bottom card of the top half with it. This makes the cut difficult for me because the bottom half can't clear the top half to complete the cut. Any ideas or advice?
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1267 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Without actually seeing the grip and finger positioning you start with, it's difficult to suggest a remedy. I see you list Norfolk, VA as your location. If you come to the July 11 meeting of Earl Edwards IBM Ring 103 at Virginia Wesleyan College in Norfolk on this coming Monday-- July 11-- at 7:30 pm, I am sure someone will be happy to give you some pointers. Here's the URL for the meeting information:
http://www.ibmring103.com/Meetings.html
I am the current vice president of Ring 103 and I have a routine for lay people that I exaggeratedly call "The World's Only Collection of One-handed Card Cuts and Shuffles." Our current president--Chuck Conklin--can fling fingers with the best of 'em and would probably also be willing to help.

(If you come to the meeting, tell the guard at the gate that you are going to the magicians' meeting in Blocker Hall and ask for directions for how to get to that building. We will be meeting in the auditorium of Blocker Hall.)

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
T. G. Murphy
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of T. G. Murphy
Hi Aussiemagik,

Without seeing your cut performed, let me still try and help you.

Having taught the Charlier Cut to most of my girlfriends over the years, I know most of the problems that can be encountered with this cut and how to quickly resolve them.

Hopefully in your case, as a learning aide, simply reverse the bottom card of the deck and then perform the Charlier Cut and see if that does not solve the problem of the bottom card being dragged out with the top packet.

This is only a quick training aide to get over the initial problem and with slightly more practice this problem will go away on its own and the need to reverse the bottom card will not be required.

Imagicatively yours,

T. G. Murphy
aussiemagik
View Profile
New user
Norfolk, VA
87 Posts

Profile of aussiemagik
Sonny,

This is Chris Sharp. I intend on showing up this month, since I'm finally not underway. However, I might have family dropping by so I'm not sure. I am getting better over the past week by "jamming" the corner of the top half of the deck between my ring finger on the outer edge and my pinky on the back short edge. I think before I was using those finger merely for balance, but now starting to use them to grip. This is hard to explain, but if I am able to make it I would greatly appreciate your help.

Hope to see you there,
Chris
morimacil
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of morimacil
Dunno if you resolved your issue or not, but for others who might be having the same problem:
simply extend your fingers a little. The outer end of your fingers is holding the top pack, and the bottom one is resting against the lower half of your third phalanx.
When you very slightly straighten your fingers, the bottom pack is pushed a little towards your body and clears the top pack.
Simon Southern Moss
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Simon Southern Moss
That advice was really helpful for me
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Charlier Cut Problems (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.044577 seconds, requiring 22 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [8] [7] [2] [2] [7] [8] [1]