The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » What Would You Say Is the Best Gimmick You Can Buy? (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Er1tro
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
124 Posts

Profile of Er1tro
The TT is, in my opinion, one of the most versatile gimmicks. Some years ago some friends at the bar asked me to show them some effect and, with my tt, I begun to let sugar, napkins and other stuff disappear and reappear.
At the end a friend of my said to me 'It's amazing, I've heard that in TV they use a tt but you don't have one because I couldn't see it, how did you made this?!'.
That was one of the greatest compliments I've ever received.
The invisible deck is also a gimmick I like a lot!
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
A Thumb Tip of course! ALWAYS GO WITH VERNET, they are the best, regardless of what any marketing hype says. it is absolutely the most useful gimmick in the world, regardless of how many children flash them in their little magic kits nobody is ever looking for them and they can be used in litterally millions of ways, it's only limited by your immagination. now, you can order one off the internet but I truely do not suggest it, because they come in all different sizes and getting a correct fit is crucial, find the nearest magic shop, even if its a few hours away (mines at least an hour and a half) and make a trip to it, you don't have to make a special trip but maybe just the next time you're in the area. tell them you need a thumb tip and if its anything like the magic shop near me they'll have like a bucket of them, pick through it trying them on until you hit the right size, it should only fit to the top knuckle of your thumb, not all the way over it, if you're unsure ask the guy behind the counter, he will know how it should fit. go ahead and grab two, they will eventually wear out but they're like less than $5 each I think, grab like a 9" silk while you're there, they'll have an assortment of colors to choose from, I use blue, you can put it in the thumbtip and carry it, for a silk production any time, you're probably thinking "silk production? really?" but it's really neat when you can pull a silk out of thin air and make it dissapear anytime, people will love it, and it works great for kids because it's really simple and easy to see the effect, you can even find something that's the same color as the silk and pretend to pick the colors from it if you like. I used to carry two thumb tips, one empty for whatever effect I had in mind, makes it easy to make small things vanish, and one with a silk stuffed in it. now I just carry one either empty or filled depending on what I want to do, of course you can always take the silk out if you wanna use it for something else.

second up would be the Invisible Elastic Band, or "loop", learn to tie your own and they become pretty cheep, can be used for loads of things, not quite as versitile as the thumb tip and requires a little more creativity to create your own effects, but easier to carry really, I have a piece of cardboard cut to hold five of them that I fill up and put in my back pocket if I know I'm gonna be performing, that plus 1 on my wrist gives me 6 of them on me because they do break easy. I would recommend buying at the guerilla guide to loops from E, it won't come with any loops or any thread but it will supply you effects, I have one of the three DVD's, it's really quite great. the best thing about a loop is it goes on your wrist and it goes unnoticed, it doesn't take up extra space or get in your way, every now and then they get snagged on something and can break off, so I always check my wrist before performing rather than just assuming it's there, but generally you can put one on in the morning and your good until it breaks from use.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Couple of things I should clear up about my last comment, I keep the cardboard holder in a home made envelope made to fit, otherwise the loops would break, and when I say to but the Guerilla Guide to loops from E, I mean Ellusionst.com, just to clarify who that is.
Phil The Cop
View Profile
New user
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
24 Posts

Profile of Phil The Cop
Thumb tip or an ITR.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2011-07-16 22:32, JoeJoe wrote:
I agree - the 'amazing vanishing disappearing silk handkerchief trick' is the only trick I need. Can show it to a 4 year old girl, or a 90 year old woman ... it doesn't matter if they speak English or not. It is the only trick I need to be able to make a living as a magician.

-JoeJoe

Chris Capehart started his NYC busking career with the vanishing silk handkerchief. It was the first trick he bought and he went right out on the street with it!
Masta Ace
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Masta Ace
TKO 2.0

and of course a TT
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
The TT for its versatility, even though I barely use it.
I use topits a lot, but make them myself. If you know what it is, I don't get the point of buying...
Now, some people who only do coin magic will tell you an expanded sh*** may be the best gimmick.

So, I guess it depends on the kind of magic you want to do: a TT and an sh*** don't help me vanish multiple billiard balls...
nytaylor21
View Profile
New user
Utah
55 Posts

Profile of nytaylor21
I agree, TT! As for feeling uncomfortable wit it on, or feeling like you may get caught...learn the promper hand posture/positioning, and put one on and wear it around for a day, or even a few hours. Likely NOBODY will notice, and will increase your comfort level having one on and acting naturally.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Stripper decks are wonderful as well. Can't ignore all the TT suggestions either. I've always thought that Stripper decks were a little cheesy but recently I've messed around with one and you can do SO many effects SO much cleaner with a stripper deck. All depends on what you like though.
gimmickartas
View Profile
New user
Spain
24 Posts

Profile of gimmickartas
The Copenetro Deck, is totally visual, plus it's on the cards and is undetectable, no one knows it is there and can see it.

You can watching, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0xVr0aA-......a_player

Is amazing.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
TT & QB2
HM Whipps
View Profile
New user
TN via FL via Ohio
11 Posts

Profile of HM Whipps
Kirkendall reel!
Ther are 10 type of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't,
bkmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, SC
119 Posts

Profile of bkmeyer
TT appears to win the vote and I agree. But I also get great use out of a Simplex Dye tube. Color changing hanks has always been strong for me. They are inexpensive and if you learn proper handling, you will love the gimmick. The color change appears truly magical in my opinion.

Bruce
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2011, motown wrote:
Nielsen's vanishing bottle gimmicks

Nielsen also produces (Yet, I think) a feke (not a gimmick) A "feke looks like something". a gimmick is never seen. The feke is for the bottle thru the table. (Great!)

The feke can ALSO BE USED IN VANISHING A BOTTLE (NOT A "BOTTLE")!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
wilcom629
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of wilcom629
I,m surprised no one mentioned sponge balls
any routine makes people smile
The Wacky Wizard
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of The Wacky Wizard
Magnets have many uses. Also the TT
gogeta98
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of gogeta98
A thumb tip, but some ITR or loops are also really great.
Blaine G
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Blaine G
TT wins on the breadth of effects that can be performed
dunraven
View Profile
Regular user
Austin, TX
124 Posts

Profile of dunraven
Svengali or ITR. The former is so simple and yet so deceptive. That latter can make miracles happen.
magicsachin
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
132 Posts

Profile of magicsachin
Expanded Shell Coin Smile A great tool for coin workers ....
Thank You Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » What Would You Say Is the Best Gimmick You Can Buy? (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL