The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2003 entrée: Michael Rubinstein » » Halves or dollars? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
This topic has been approached before, but I wanted to revisit it because I have seen, especially with Three Fly, the movement toward dollars. Certainly Silver dollars are larger, and pretty, and more visible for a larger crowd. I use halves because they fit me well, and Kennedys are more familiar to the people I show them to. I have my standing liberties, that I use in my more professional work. I'm curious what you all are using, and for which situations?
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I use halfs, mostly because I like to try and have normal everyday props, and even though they are not all over, they are more familiar then dollars.
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
Hello,

I used to use Kennedy Halves almost exclusively and then noticed one day that the silver dollar size coin made it a lot easier. My hands are fairly large and the Kennedy Halves almost seem too small.
Plus, I like the look of Morgan and Peace Dollars and can generally weave interesting stories about where they came from, how I acquired them, etc..
My father carried a Morgan in his pocket since he was about twelve until the time of his passing some 20 years ago. While he did'nt do coin magic everytime I work with the Morgans it reminds me of him.

Take Care,

Vincent Smile Smile Smile
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

That's a GREAT reason, and very touching, Vincent!
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I use the half dollar size for my real close up stuff because they are easier to hide and manipulate.

I use dollar size coins for routines for a larger audience where coins are chest level (flurries, productions and vanishes, 3 fly etc.) Also I like the dollar size coins for more of a parlor type effect like Cylinder and Coins.

To sum it up:

Close: Halfs
Away: Dollars
Click to visit:
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Ditto. The coins I carry with me the whole time are halves (Walking Liberty coins) and the half dollar sized Chinese coins (for "Purse Spellbound", CCC (by Troy Hooser) and my own spellbound handlings). My hands seem more comfortable handling these coins over the dollar sized coins (very difficult to classic-palm, although it works well in finger-palm and other palming techniques). The dollar sized coins (Morgans, BTW) are used for a larger crowds.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Dollars.....

I have big hands so I like how they look.

Lee
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I work with Morgan dollars for most of my coin work. Spectators can see them easily and the fact they they are larger makes the appearances and vanishes that much more effective. After working with the dollars, the halves feel like quarters to me. The following are some effects I use with dollars:
4 Coins Across
Gadabout Coins
4 Coins to the Pocket
3 Coin Production and Vanishing or "Hanging" Coins
Perpetual Coin Routine
3 Fly (U3Fly)
Sankey's TV Coin Bend (I use an Ike Dollar)
Chinese Coin Exchange (C/S coin and purse)
NY Spellbound (C/S coin)
I have a dollar sh--- and fl----- but don't use them that much.
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
I use estonian "1 kroon" coins. Cause I`m from Estonia and theyr size is perfect! These are just between half dollars and quarters. Smile

But when I do coinbyte I have to use your money. Then I use half dollars!
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

How many magicians outside the USA use american coins? Does that present a problem for your audience?
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Hey

I use Barbers and morgans for all my non gaff coin work. I like useing morgans for close up but it take a little more work. I use barbers more for if i have to use more than 8 coins.

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

I use Barbers when I need to get my hair cut! But seriously though....I understand that they are a bit thinner, so they allow you to palm more of them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2003 entrée: Michael Rubinstein » » Halves or dollars? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL