We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Vanishing glass of water (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1188 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Hi.
I am not sure this is the place to ask this but do they still make the vanishing glass of water, the one with a pitcher glass and cloth? If so, who sells it.
Thanks
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15103 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No,this is not available, it was a Resor Product. Viking Magic has the rights to the Resor product line.

I like this trick a lot, talked the local magic shop to carry it for years before Resor's death. This was a long time ago I am referencing.

I liked the working of the tray, it was cool.
Graduate of Chavez School of Prestidigitation and Showmanship
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Are you sure he's not asking about the one with the bottomless pitcher that goes over the glass after it's covered.

That's in several magic books...

I'm not sure I have ever seen one for sale... though I'm sure it was available once upon a time.

No tray was needed.. as the pitcher did all the work.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15103 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Only PowerMagic knows what he is speaking of, I can only guess. I never seen a pitcher that worked in that fashion.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6439 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It was such an easy prop to make that those who wanted them simply made them. It was not the cleverest idea in the world so it didn't last long. The principles involved, however, are still in use in other effects where they don't call attention to themselves by being the focus of attention. Vanishes tend to focus attention on the solutions.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6869 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It was also made by Horace Marshall which I won the rights. It was described in the Albo books. I do own a set.

I could make one if the party is interested but to my knowledge no one is currently making one.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1188 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I had a friend offer me one for $20. I passed on it and think he sold it fast. I had told him I had interest in it but at the time did not know what they were worth. I have seen at least one magician recently with one so know that it can be deceptive. I admit when I first read the concept I was not sure how it was not an obvious method. Now This guy was not the best magicians and still it looked good.

You are right, not that hard to make but maybe not worth it the time to buy the one for $20. Like I said, I passed on it before your responses since I did not want to hold him up since he needs cash so is cleaning out some nice props and some props he thinks are worth more than they are.

Posted: Jul 11, 2011 2:39am
And no Makeupguy, I never heard of the one you mentioned.
This one seemed like it was more commercial so figured someone was still making it. So sometimes you have to know how rare something is to know its value. Like he sold me a Dick Williams Genii vase without the rope for $25. I did not know how rare it was until after purchased it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15103 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe this exercise make an excellent point. You did not want to spend $20.00 on an item you did not know what the original price was 41 years ago. Well is that price even relevant today?

The original price for the Resor Glass of Water Vanish was, as I remember it, $15.00 from a brick and mortar magic dealer. Now I know, you think this guy is really trying to rip me off, asking $20.00 for a $15.00 trick. You don't care that he kept it in good condition or paid storage for it for 41 years.

You don't care that today a piece of 12"x24" plywood cost $15.00, and you have no idea that to make the same piece of magic equipment today would be well at least $150.00 retail magic price.

It seems it is really bothering you that you let it slip through your fingers. Don't you think that for the extra $5.00 it would have been worth owning a very nice glass of water vanish. It is more puzzling then the Bowl of Water vanish.

I will let you know Resor only made a few dozen of them in his time. So you will not run across another one in your life time, most likely.

In the end does it really matter or even your concern what the gentleman paid for the trick originally. I certainly don't think so.

Recently a magic dealer inquired the original price of a piece of magic equipment I had up for sale. I find that he would not disclose the profit margin for the products he sells, which to my way of thinking is totally exorbitant and unfair pricing. Needless to say, I told him it was none of his business if he could not do in kind.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1188 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I think you missed the point. If they where still making it, buying and old unit makes no sense for my purposes. Why reinvent the wheel if it is still available commercially? Why buy a used one if for only a few bucks more you get a brand new one with same workings? That was my point. BTW I build my own props so know the costs of materials and you are over inflating the costs.
Knowing what the cost of the prop was intially and how hold it is, makes perfect sense to ask. If the thing was $50 and he was asking $20 than one can over looked the signs of use. How rare it is but also if it was quality made is also a factor. Knowing the start price when it came out AND knowing if it is still available and at what price are all valid questions in determining the value of a used prop.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15103 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The value to you and the value to the owner is or may be to different things. The most important cost is the cost for the owner to release it from his ownership. And no I am not over inflating the price. Take a look on Abbott's and Owen Magic sites and prices.

This prop requires 2 types of wood, metal work as well, and seamstress work. If you were going to make one for yourself with scraps lying around is one thing. I am of course speaking if a craftsman would make the item for resale like Viking Magic or Richard Hughes Company.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
1108 Posts

Profile of videoman
Richard Hughes said he would make you one. Just a hunch but I think he may charge you "slightly" more than $20.00.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6869 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, it would be more than $20 unless you could get me materials and cost of running a business at 1940's prices.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1188 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I think we are talking about different things. There is no wood needed to make a vanishing glass of water. I build props and you might have meant the dealer markup. As you know, props cost much less to make. But if it has to go through a jobber and then a dealer, then sure, a prop can be expensive. But to make a prop yourself, yes, your prices for materials or too high and can be obtained for less. Example. If you only need enough plywood for one prop, you can go to any home store and find even large pieces of plywood for dirt cheap in a mixed lumber cart. You can keep an eye on job sites and you would be shocked what they toss in the dumpster. IN either case they can not be bothered by certain size peices. The customer might pay for the entire sheet but then only need say 6 feet for the job and can only fit that in their car. Home Depot will cut it down for free leaving the piece behind. Or HD will have damaged sheets. You surely can cut out the bad spot and get your piece dirt cheap.

And if you are in buseinss, well then you should be getting bulk pricing on a pallet of wood. .

I understand what you are trying to point out but I think for this purpsose we are not talking about the same thing.

At this point he sold the item on ebay, As I said, I was only trying to figure out what it was worth. Again I will end this thread by saying my goal was to be sure that the prop was worth that and to find out if you still could purchase the prop and what the current price was. I was only being sure the prop was not available for $25 NEW vs buying a $20 used prop with marks and age showing. It does not sound like it had value in the collectable market and really I would want it to USE not to sit and look pretty on a shelf.

No, I will make one from $1 store items. It is not a complex prop as Spellbinder stated.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15103 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Powermagic, you really do not know what it takes to build a Resor Vanishing Glass. I do, and you are way off. I wish you well scrounging around work project or in dumpsters. Although I don't know of any commercial constructions that uses 1/8" and 3/4" wood. Don't know where you will get the forms for the metal work built into the tray. I disagree, it is a complex prop, and that is what is so much fun performing it. It is pure genius in the working.

By the way, all magic should be shown and performed, otherwise what good is it setting on a shelf.

Looks like it may not have been the Resor Vanishing Glass if you think you can go to the Dollar Store for anything but the plastic glass.

I like to build some things myself as well, but I know when a project is not worth it to do so.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6869 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I should add that my (Marshall version) vanishes the glass in mid air on a raised platform held up with your hand on a slender rod.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1188 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I have no idea what vanishing glass you are talking about nor why you brought it up. No disrespect but you automatically assumed you knew what the trick was as in your response to me. Not knowing what they called it I took your word for it until you started challenging me, even though I told you it was not the method you speak of. Your second post made me feel it was not this glass expensive thing you are talking about.

You do not know how to look for materials other than retail. I am being kind here, but 3/4" is a VERY COMMON material to use on job sites. My family are in the industry so I know and as I said, go to Home Depot and Lowes and ask them about their scrap cart. They get truck damages all the time. 1/8" can sometimes be found if the house is having arches put in the doorways.
And what you call a dumpster is different than what the reality is. Sure it is a dumpster but usually all with construction material. Go the days they are skining the house, roof and floor and you will see how much is wasted. Go to better house projects to avoid OSB.

Of course if you make stuff for reasale this might be beyond your time but for us normal folk, it is a great resource for materials.

Go to metal shops as well and ask for scraps and sometimes get them for free. Or get them dirt cheap. I needed some iron plates for some stands and once for a standing levi on a stool and I think the plates cut to size was only $11 and I am in the North east.

Really man, you have to be a good shopper but you can do things for allot less if you really wanted to.

I am really done talking about this since it you are not familar with the glass of water vansish that uses a pitcher.

And to the audience, this is all done fair and clean with the vanishing glass in mid air when you toss the cloth. If performed correctly, they never even suspect the method and no trays or things on poles are needed.

My conclusion is that this prop is not for commercial sale anymore but as Spellbinder states, can be made up at the dollar store.

'
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15103 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sorry, PowerMagic that I could not help with the name of the trick you are referring to, I have owned most of the magic for sale in the 1970's and physically seen most of the other tricks that were on the market at the time. I never seen or heard of such a glass of water vanish. I am only aware of Resor glass of water trick on a tray and U.F. Grant's Floating and Vanishing Glass of Water he put on the market for a short time.

For a smaller effect, Abbott's Famous Vanishing Whiskey Glass called Squash was another.

Nearly all that magic from that time period is not manufactured any longer.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1188 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Here is a guy doing it.
http://hiphopmagician.com/UncleMajic_files/videoshow.html

Click on play list in the video player, go to show 3. After a questionable but clever idea with a TT, then another questional dove pan routine he executes this vanishing glass fairly well.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15103 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I do not think that trick is not available any longer. If my memory serves me correctly, it may have been an import from Europe and sold by Tannen Magic back in the day Lou Tannen ran the business. Tannen's was the place that imported many items from all over Europe.

I would think it was passed along to this guy. It would not hurt to drop him a pleasant inquiry by email and see what if he responds. Tell him how impressed you were with his trick.

This can be made very easily with a metal cocktail shaker, if you wish to do so.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1188 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Well I would have to fashion the handle, if you see this was made up as a narrow pitcher.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15103 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
They sell strips of stainless steel in the hobby section of most hardware stores for a couple dollars. Yes, attaching would be more difficult by riveting or soldering. A ring would have to be inserted in the shaker as well made of rubber.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6869 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The vanish of the glass using a pitcher is explained in Succesfull Conjuring by Norman Hunter. The Marshall version uses part of this but also incorporates a version of the the glass through hat gimmick.

I do not know of anyone who has made this in years. Yes, with a little sheet metal or plastics ability it could be made at home.

One of the easiest methods is to use a BA table with a well. Fake in the hanky.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
Near a river in the Midwest
9641 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-09-19 20:42, hugmagic wrote:
The vanish of the glass using a pitcher is explained in Succesful Conjuring by Norman Hunter.

Isn't that one of the greatest and most overlooked books?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6869 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes it is. Maybe I should have never mentioned it so we don't tip all our sources for inspiration.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1188 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I gently disagree. The BA method requires more gear since you have to have the table. It is not as clean in my opinion.
Quote:
On 2011-09-19 20:42, hugmagic wrote:

One of the easiest methods is to use a BA table with a well. Fake in the hanky.

Richard
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
1482 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Powermagic I have this in the large & smaller size it's called Glass Gone Tannen's magic carries this & I think you can still get it. This comes with the chrome pitcher Glass & special silk It's a great trick!

Posted: Sep 21, 2011 2:26am
http://www.tannensmagic.com Search : GLASS GONE
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15103 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-09-21 02:26, tophatter wrote:
http://www.tannensmagic.com Search : GLASS GONE

I searched for it before I commented earlier and again just now. No listing for Glass Gone, Glass, Gone, Vanishing Glass.

Why don't you give us the web address?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Staff
Maryland
5019 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
My search said that there was no such item.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1188 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Ahh tannens. That would make sense for the Hip hop guy to have it.
Hmm I have not used Tannens in years. Last catalog I had was #16 and yes it was called Glass Gone, courtesy of Toney Spina and Max Londono. However I would believe Spina had nothing to do with effect and it was Max Londono's idea. Howver the copy starts off saying " Louis Tannen Inc is proud to return to the magic fraternity a unique effect manufactured years ago and long off the magic market." (1983) One bit of info is that after catalog 14, it came with a matching chrome glass and the Tony and Max credit not a clear glass which I like better
I'd be curious what the last catalog it was listed in.
I emailed them to see if they now call it something else.
Maybe I do not want to put this back on their radar. I do not need people using it if I start to.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1188 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Ahh it would seem it is still available in Daytona buy that name. OK mystery solved.

However I am curious about this version
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=19

So did Tannens scale down the original or change it with the cloth. I kind of like the idea of the tube vanish (like the soda vanish I assume)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Vanishing glass of water (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.248121 seconds, requiring 102 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [1] [7] [1] [6] [0] [2] [0]