The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Fallen by Jim Critchlow (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Jim presented his new effect at this years Doomsday.
I've been putting together some extra props to really sell the piece, which are now complete.
The effect allows you channel a spirit of a dead soldier from WWI - simply and accurately give his name, nationality, unit number, date of birth and date & manner of death...
Can't give you any more info as yet - its coming from Alakazam I beleive after the DVD has been shot.
Here's a taste of my set:
http://www.box.net/shared/73rm93yiuh5nq97vv413

This is a great piece of dark mentalism!Enjoy!
Steve
[
pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
This sounds very cool. Any idea when it will be released?
Gandalf the Wizard
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Gandalf the Wizard
Excellent, thanks for sharing!!!
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

Profile of Christopher Gould
Critchlow never disappoints, really looking forward to this one...
The Moon is now to be found in the constellation of Gemini:
https://www.geminiartifacts.com
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
It is a very nice routine...I like what you have done Steve..like Whitestar, there are so many possibilties for dressing this up into something so powerful...It was great to meet Jim and see this at Doomsday.
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1942 Posts

Profile of markthorold
The Fallen is an excellent piece and extaordinarily powerful ( Ive found ) when intergrated into a seance setting . A first class effect that I predict will sell out on release .
Regards Mark
E.O.I
MPMagic
View Profile
Regular user
UK
126 Posts

Profile of MPMagic
The Fallen is a brilliant idea with a thoroughly practical method. I have been elaborating a way to make it fool-proof (who knows the method should know what I mean...) but it would require a re-coding of the various objects and a small bit of electronics... nothing impossible and the way forward if I were to present it professionally.

Nevertheless, it is a devilish principle finally put to excellent use!
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Quote:
On 2011-07-13 13:06, MPMagic wrote:
The Fallen is a brilliant idea with a thoroughly practical method. I have been elaborating a way to make it fool-proof (who knows the method should know what I mean...) but it would require a re-coding of the various objects and a small bit of electronics... nothing impossible and the way forward if I were to present it professionally.

Nevertheless, it is a devilish principle finally put to excellent use!

I also wondered about using a certain Labco product to chip the props, or even 'Nana's box'.
In the end I went for adding lots of little items; it also allows ambiguity about 'which medal' or 'which photo'. Makes the method even harder to back-track for anyone watching.

My biggest problem currently is routining it with a climax. There's so much info to give out, that it needs a big finish. I was thinking of P***** W***** the name, or 'eteching' initials on medal a la Koran medallion (though try as I might I can't find the brand of g*** l*** I have with an old medallion! Looks like its from the 70s!)
Steve
[
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I am really looking forward to seeing this one. Hopefully the dvd will have a little more detail on the prop...and a little less flashy grainy "tell me nothing" visuals.

But it sounds seriously way cool. (Do people still say that? I do...Smile)

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
MPMagic
View Profile
Regular user
UK
126 Posts

Profile of MPMagic
Quote:
My biggest problem currently is routining it with a climax. There's so much info to give out, that it needs a big finish. I was thinking of P***** W***** the name, or 'eteching' initials on medal a la Koran medallion (though try as I might I can't find the brand of g*** l*** I have with an old medallion! Looks like its from the 70s!)
Steve

I would see the choice of the "Fallen" as part of a seance, where the medium, while in trance, reveals a number of informations (date of birth/death, regiment, etc.) which are noted by somebody outside the circle of sitters. At the end of the seance, the "climax" is the discovery of the fact that the medium has been able to contact the spirit of the chosen soldier, not any "random" one. In this way, there will be a long delay from the "information acquisition" phase, the effect will not just be the delivery of some information by unknown means, but a meaningful revelation. I envisage the routine as playing as the voice of the spirit answers some questions: "Spirit, can you tell us when you were born?" "I waaaasssss bbbbboooornnnn in theeeee summmmmmmeeeeerrrrr... it waaaaaaasssss theeeeeee twenty-seconddddd daaaaaayyyyy offffff Juuuuuuunnnnnneeeeeee 1883..." etc...

Steve, I was thinking something simpler than Labco (more John Lewis Smile )... if interested, send me a PM. I did also think to contact Jim, but never come around Smile

All the best,
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
David, you'll enjoy the proper performance; imagine a collection of photos of WW1 soldiers, with all their details on the back. With no pumping, you'll be able to tell so much about them, using a simple memory hook.

Marco - I agree, a seance setting is most logical - indeed to date I have performed for only friends & family in the much the same way Prof BC talks about "Ipswich" - you 'see' the soldier, describe his accent, his name, how he died. He tells you his DoB and Unit number. He has a message - for his beloved Mary...
However, I'd also like to perform this for walkaround; dark mentalism, or reverse psychometry - spectator somehow has tuned in on the artefacts that belong to a soldier that you somehow knew they would pick...no sure yet...still working on it. Must be repeatable between tables, without blowing anything...
[
pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
Any word on when this is coming out?
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Alakazam says September, I think.

It sounds wonderful...

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Any news on this???
Lefebure
View Profile
Loyal user
Lille, France
202 Posts

Profile of Lefebure
No news yet on Alakazam's website.
Neither on Jim's blog...

What a great idea ! If it's designed precisely just like on the pictures, great !
living in the french flanders, around the numerous british cemeteries, I just need to put some mud on the box and say that a neighbor found it in the field behind his house...

It happens here sometimes when you scratch a little bit the floor (unfortunately sometimes we get on a rusted shell...oops...).
Seances in farms is also an idea.

Just like this effect would be designed especially for me ! Can't wait !!!
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
My great uncle is buried somewhere in France after the battle of the Somme. Want to visit his grave one day.
Lefebure
View Profile
Loyal user
Lille, France
202 Posts

Profile of Lefebure
[quote]On 2011-09-05 10:42, takeachance wrote:
My great uncle is buried somewhere in France after the battle of the Somme. Want to visit his grave one day.

I guess a large part of the british/canadian/australian and N-Z population has a relative dead on the WWI battlefields, and that's why this product can touch a large audience.

I only hope it doesn't need a deep understanding of english, because otherwise it will be hard to perform with some people here in France...
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
I performed this on stage lst night for the first time; I hope to get a copy of tyhe video eventually, so you might see how I used the effect. It wasn't a slick performance by any means, but the effect on the participants was absolutely worht it!
It's an extremely powerful effect; sadly I don't know when it's coming out from Alakazam, but I'm trying to get in touch with Jim and I will ask!
Steve
[
Sandstar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Sandstar
Anybody got a link for Critchlow's blog?
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I sure wish someone from Alakazam would give some insight as to the release of this. I already do my own version and have for a few years on this plot. I'm sure this will be an improvement on mine, Critchlow comes up with some really nice thinking.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Fallen by Jim Critchlow (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL