The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Latex Allergy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Keith Brock
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Keith Brock
I came upon a problem the other day that I didn't have a solution for so I figured I'd ask.

What do you do if someone says that they have a latex allergy?

Keith
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Don't make them a balloon.
Jeff Wright
www.WrightEntertainment.biz
Voted Best Party Entertainer in Cleveland, Nickelodeon Parents' Picks Awards
Keith Brock
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Keith Brock
Not the answer I was looking for. Of course I'm not going to hand them a balloon if they tell me they have an allergy.

Is there any type of non latex balloon out there for twisting?

Keith
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
More info please - was this at a strolling gig where you approached them? and no, there aren't any latex free balloons for twisting.

Random thoughts ...
If you are asking what you can carry around with you to offer to someone who can't have a balloon then there is a world of possibilities.
If you are asking what your reply should be when told this, retreat into your character and tell them a funny story about how grandpa sailed across a lake in a leaky washtub. In other words, don't dwell on what they can't have and don't say "I'm sorry".
Ask if they would like to see a magic trick instead - I have often used this as an alternative when strolling and happened to approach someone who is allergic.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Jeff Wright
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
I met a lady the other night who was allergic to latex. She said I cant make a balloon for her but I can make one for all of her thirteen kids. lol.
Jay Ward
View Profile
Veteran user
Flowery Branch, GA
328 Posts

Profile of Jay Ward
Ha! Took me about 20 seconds to get that joke grenade! lol!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Please be aware that latex allergies are actually fairly rare. What many people are calling a latex allergy is actually contact dermatitis. A person TRULY allergic to latex would not be able to wear underwear, bra, pantyhose, etc.

That being said, there is no need to take risks. If a person says they are allergic to latex, I like the idea of doing a magic trick.

Also, do NOT stretch and snap the balloons near them. The minute amounts of powder used to release the balloons from the mold will contain latex proteins. By snapping the ballons, you are, in essence, creating an airborne allergen for them.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I had a female guest go into a near rage one day a few years back when twisting after accidentially brushing a balloon against her. What amazed me was that I didn't run across the room and start twisting right next to her. I worked my way her direction making hats and whatnot over the course of a half an hour maybe more. She acted like her throat was going to swell up and she was going to die on the spot. I personally think she was shooting for a meal comp but from that day forward I have given a wide birth to anyone saying they have a latex allergy.
DATMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Shreveport, La
304 Posts

Profile of DATMagic
I had a child just yesterday come up with a napkin in his hand and asked if the balloons were made of latex. When I said yes, he said he could have one, but he had to hold it with his napkin so it wouldn't touch his skin. After asking his mom if it was ok, I made the balloon and decided to give it to the parent so they could give it to the child. She laughed, picked up a napkin and took the balloon handing it to her son saying she also had a latex allergy. I don't think if I knew a child had an allergy even if the parent was standing right there that I would give the balloon directly to the child. That seems like trouble waiting to happen there.

David
David A Trombetta

DAT does the Trick
DATdoestheTrick.com

Smile
email [email]DATMagic@aol.com[/email]
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I do not use balloons in my shows, but when I did my silent (read: mime-dependant) cabaret act, part of the act combined balloons and mime. One evening I was scheduled to do table hopping after the show and planned on using the few balloons I had left over to incorporate into a card effect. I had a table where 4 out of the 6 people told me that they in fact had contact dermatitis. My solution to that - which worked just perfectly - was to use a napkin to fold a small animal out of it and use that in place. In the end, the spectator still got a souvenir out of it.

My suggestion would be to either perform a magic effect for them, or, learn some basic napkin folding characters or a bit of origami, which can be done as a substitute and then given away.
Keith Brock
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Keith Brock
I actually like the origami idea. Might pick some of it up.

My fear is always that if I start performing magic for them, that everyone will want to see magic and lose interest in the balloons which most likely I am specifically there for.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 12:10, Keith Brock wrote:
My fear is always that if I start performing magic for them, that everyone will want to see magic and lose interest in the balloons which most likely I am specifically there for.

I would say that unless you are doing both magic and balloons, a magic effect as a substitution for a balloon would work, but if you are doing an event primarly as a balloon twister, then stick with non-magic substitutions if you feel that may happen.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 12:10, Keith Brock wrote:
I actually like the origami idea. Might pick some of it up.

Trust me that won't happen..... I don't care if your Lance Burton doing magic in a restaurant Balloon will trump magic any day.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
I have to agree with Mark. I was hired for a back tie, adults only party a few months ago. 5 hours of entertainment. I was supposed to start with balloons and then move on to magic. I did balloons for a few hours, got out my close-up magic, and had a lady grab my arm and ask "Are you going to do more balloons?!?" I got the balloons back out and stayed 30 minutes passed midnight doing balloons. (Was tipped very nicely from the host too as he was standing there jokingly ranting at all the guests that each of those balloons is costing him 20 bucks!)
Jeff Wright
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Balloons may trump magic in most cases, but I guarantee there are some places where it would not (such as a room full of globophobics). All kidding aside, I did a show for kids once where they wanted more magic than they did balloons. Still to this day, I have no idea why...

@Jestnjoker: That is a funny story! Thanks for sharing!
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I did an event that I was hired to do balloons then magic. I explained that once the balloons come out it's hard to make them go away. Kids and the adults wanted balloons. I ended up doing only balloons that day.
Life of Magic!
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
On 2011-08-10 16:55, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
Balloons may trump magic in most cases, but I guarantee there are some places where it would not (such as a room full of globophobics). All kidding aside, I did a show for kids once where they wanted more magic than they did balloons. Still to this day, I have no idea why...

@Jestnjoker: That is a funny story! Thanks for sharing!

Globophobics convention the most boring place on earth. Smile

Either your magic is very good or your balloons are....
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Good magic may be more impressive than good balloons when standing side by side, but balloons are a walking advertisement (a very bright, cool looking advertisement) while close-up magic may not self-promote at all when the audience is at a small table in a large busy restaurant or at a cocktail party.
Jeff Wright
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-08-11 11:03, Jestnjoker wrote:
Good magic may be more impressive than good balloons when standing side by side, but balloons are a walking advertisement.

Exactly. There are kids/adults out there for whom balloons do nothing. Yeah, they look cool, but that is about it. I realize that is not the norm, but some people just are not excited by balloons and balloon sculptures.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Latex Allergy (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL