The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Open Prediction Project by Thomas Baxter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
false_shuffle
View Profile
Regular user
Omaha, NE
177 Posts

Profile of false_shuffle
Considering purchasing this book. My question...was the $1000 prize really given out? And if so, to who? Is this mentioned in the book? Which effect in the book was the winner? Thanks!
Daniel Rasmussen
Omaha, NE
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Who is Thomas Baxter? I swear that name sounds familiar.
Claudio
View Profile
Special user
Europe
733 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On 2011-07-20 03:59, false_shuffle wrote:
Considering purchasing this book. My question...was the $1000 prize really given out? And if so, to who? Is this mentioned in the book? Which effect in the book was the winner? Thanks!

Hector Chadwick's JOHNNY'S DILEMMA was voted best effect and Hector got the prize:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=5951878
false_shuffle
View Profile
Regular user
Omaha, NE
177 Posts

Profile of false_shuffle
He's the author...............lol..................

Thanks Claudio!!!
Daniel Rasmussen
Omaha, NE
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Are you suggesting he awarded the prize to himself? How terribly unethical.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
1750 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
To clarify:

Tom Baxter - author of the Open Prediction Project
Hector Chadwick - contest winner
Steven Keyl

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
How do we know Hector Chadwick actually exists? Has anyone actually seen him and Thomas Baxter in real life and can confirm that they are indeed different persons? I am highly suspicious about starving mentalists giving away $1000 prizes. I don't know for sure if this Thomas Baxter person, whoever he is, is starving but if he is a professional entertainer then the odds are quite high that he is. Not that I have a cynical nature of course.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2362 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Since Mark Lewis and Thomas Baxter are both Canadians from the Toronto area, I'm assuming that Mr. Lewis is pulling our collective leg. Any other possibility has grim implications.
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."
-Pop Haydn
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
I have a Canadian passport but I am certainly NOT Canadian. The citizenship judge did say something to the effect that it should not be regarded as a mere convenience but had responsibilities attached to it. I am afraid that I did not agree with her and never have. I do regard it as a convenience only and I am quite happy to receive the benefits of it but certainly have no desire whatsoever to be involved in the "responsibilities". Common sense I would have thought.

I am afraid that I do not know the name Thomas Baxter but as I have already stated the name does sound vaguely familiar to me. I think I do remember some chap by the Thomas Chadwick or something harassing some college student who was putting on a mentalism show for his college and the Thomas person getting upset about it instead of minding his own business. However, I cannot swear if this chap is the author of this particular book. In any event this particular Thomas does not live in Toronto but in a place called Oakville where Paul Pacific lives. Perhaps Paul knows him.

I also vaguely remember some busybody mentalist or other name Hector Baxter or something calling up the Toronto Sun newspaper to complain about Jeff and Tessa Evason doing a headline prediction. It seems that Hector or Thomas or whoever he was was upset that the Evasons were presenting themselves as real psychics when they plainly weren't. Unless they were of course. I wouldn't know of course. I have lost my own psychic powers this morning after seeing his name on here.

I must see if I can refresh my memory and find out who he is. I get a psychic vibe of an entity with a beard for some reason.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2362 Posts

Oh. I see. Isn't Oakville about 36km from Toronto, give or take a bit?

So you and Thomas are friends, I suppose?
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."
-Pop Haydn
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
You did say Toronto. Oakville is an entirely different place. As for the word "friends" I am not sure that would be the appropriate word somehow. If I knew him of course.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2362 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-07-20 13:23, Mark Lewis wrote:
You did say Toronto.

I said Toronto area.

Quote:
Oakville is an entirely different place.

OK, but it still looks like it's part of the greater Toronto area.

Quote:
As for the word "friends" I am not sure that would be the appropriate word somehow. If I knew him of course.

Of course.
-Pop Haydn
CardWiz
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
607 Posts

Profile of CardWiz
I have had several dealing with Mr Baxter over the last several years. He is very honest, fair, logical, and any ebook he releases is usually gold.

On a side note, he is one of the few card mentalists who is able to replicate Stewart James' 51 Faces North, as confirmed by several credible witnesses here on the Café.

CW
People have been calling me "Yu" lately. I don't know, must be Chinese.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
986 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
I also believe he is one who WITHHELD his method that fits Stewart's restrictions from the book... Hard to call a man fair, logical, or honest that releases a book and keeps the only method people are truly looking for.

J
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2362 Posts

Jay, if I understand you correctly, Thomas Baxter has a method for the Open Prediction that meets Stewart James's conditions. He didn't put this method in his Open Prediction Project book. As far as I can tell, at no time did he claim that his method would be in the book. He did say that he'd publish the book if he received the requisite number of solutions, and he did what he said he'd do.

What, exactly, is unfair? How is his behavior illogical? Why do you say that this is dishonest?
-Pop Haydn
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1125 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
I have a version of the open prediction trick which meets all the conditions listed by Thomas in the other thread mentioned. A shuffled deck is used (it can even be the spectator's own deck). The performer never touches (or interacts in any way with) the deck at any time during the entire procedure. The performer writes the name of a playing card on a piece of paper and places it in full view, so that the name of the cards is seen by everyone. The spectator removes the cards from the box and shuffles them. The spectator then deals cards from the top, face up into a pile on the table. The spectator, at a time of his/her choosing, stops dealing face-up and deals the very next card to be dealt, face down on its own on the table. He/she then continues to deal the remainder of the cards face up onto the face up pile. The predicted card is not seen among the face up cards. The spectator then turns over the face down card, and it is seen by all to be the predicted card. This works every time. Any card can be predicted.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3131 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Quote:
On 2011-07-20 03:59, false_shuffle wrote:

The routine "Johnny's Dilemma" by Hector Chadwick won. This was posted here in the Magic Café. Since the winner was publicly announced and the winner is a member, I expect he was paid.

This was not mentioned in the book because the voting was done only after the book was released.

You can read about it in a post on page 18 of The Open Prediction.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
entermagic
View Profile
Special user
865 Posts

Profile of entermagic
Quote:
On 2011-07-20 17:23, Steve Martin wrote:
I have a version of the open prediction trick which meets all the conditions listed by Thomas in the other thread mentioned. A shuffled deck is used (it can even be the spectator's own deck). The performer never touches (or interacts in any way with) the deck at any time during the entire procedure. The performer writes the name of a playing card on a piece of paper and places it in full view, so that the name of the cards is seen by everyone. The spectator removes the cards from the box and shuffles them. The spectator then deals cards from the top, face up into a pile on the table. The spectator, at a time of his/her choosing, stops dealing face-up and deals the very next card to be dealt, face down on its own on the table. He/she then continues to deal the remainder of the cards face up onto the face up pile. The predicted card is not seen among the face up cards. The spectator then turns over the face down card, and it is seen by all to be the predicted card. This works every time. Any card can be predicted.

Interesting, have you a demo or it is not possible to see it?

MP
vinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
sleeping with the fishes...
9532 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Lets see it
please
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
I have just remembered who Thomas Baxter is. He is indeed the chappie who phoned up the Sun newspaper to expose the wickedness of Jeff Evason for having the nerve to claim he was a real psychic. I remember Evason got a trifle peeved over the matter.

But I have another vision of Thomas which sticks in the mind. It is an old vision from about 35 years ago or so and it involves Slydini's Paper Balls over the hat trick. He attempted to perform it in front of an audience of children at the Ontario Science Centre. Alas the kids screamed and shouted and gave the game away. But Thomas was young and inexperienced then so let us fast forward 30 years or so.

I once saw him do the rather awful head chopper trick on a child. It shouldn't be done on a child in the first place and there is something demeaning about making anyone, child or adult, kneel down on the floor. That is why the arm chopper is far better and just as funny. But that is not the point of my complaint. To my utter horror he put a bucket behind the boy's hind quarters in order to make a rather vulgar joke about the boy crapping himself with fear. Most improper and very surprising since this individual is normally very stuffy indeed.

I can now see why he gave up magic and became a mentalist instead. Far more suitable for the chap. Apart from these little incidents I don't really remember much about him. I don't think he had a terribly memorable personality. Perhaps Paul Pacific knows him. I must ask Paul if he has ever heard of Thomas Baxter. Paul! Where are you?
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1125 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
Entermagic and vinny - PM me.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
vinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
9532 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Steve I pmed you
vinny
Come check out my magic.

vinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
9532 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Received aPM from Steve so far it is all double talk. either you can do it or you can't.
Come check out my magic.

Ed Matthews
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Ed Matthews
This link may help here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaErk5H_BhI

I collect Any Card At Any Number routines. The Open Prediction type of trick is similar. There are a lot of different ways of doing the effect.
"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement."
Ronald Reagan
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Just wondering if anyone has seen the Open Prediction by Steve Martin in the earlier
posts? Did it really meet all the requirements?
vinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
9532 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Ed trhat link is tommy's crininal Induction it is not Steve's
Come check out my magic.

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26109 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I've been procrastinating getting some notes on the trick into an essay for this book/project.
FWIW what little I have to offer the trick is entirely on the framing and presentation side as the method aspect I'm exploring is nothing special.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ed Matthews
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Ed Matthews
Vinsmagic - it does indicate that what Steve wrote can be done. Maybe?!!
Ronald Reagan
vinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
9532 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Ed since yopu collect CAAN here is my un holy grail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmarypxhnLk
Come check out my magic.

Ed Matthews
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Ed Matthews
Vinsmagic thanks for the link, as I like to see versions of that. Quite good although not too keen on your method, to be honest; the type of trick described above by Steve (with a similar clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaErk5H_BhI) is the 'real work'???
Ronald Reagan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Open Prediction Project by Thomas Baxter (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.352280 seconds, requiring 110 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [6] [6] [7] [0] [8] [3] [7] [7]