The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The classic journals of card magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ed Matthews
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Ed Matthews
Hello fellow performers,

I'd like to extend my reading library of card magic. I understand that there a number of classic periodicals (from the past, and perhaps current also) that would be worth checking out. I'm talking about magazine-type publications rather than books and other media. Some of these I know of, and others perhaps not. I would be very grateful for your suggestions and recommendations as to titles and authors of these. I don't know if this is something that has been covered here already, as I've just arrived. If it has been covered, please could you give me a link.

With thanks,

Ed
"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement."
Ronald Reagan
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
6575 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
APOCALYPSE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
6575 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Go to the last address listed under this post - and you'll see what's available, and what isn't.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Ed Matthews
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Ed Matthews
Thank you, Harry Lorayne (!!!!!). Wow.

I do already know of Apocalypse, though. I have all the volumes. Please keep the suggestions coming!
Ronald Reagan
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2556 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Also along with Apocalypse( Which should be on every magician who is worth his salt, book shelf.) Check out the magazines that Karl Fulves also published. There is a wealth of great material in those as well. Pabular comes to mind also.
Learn Michael Skinner's Impromptu Cup and Balls Routine.
http://www.skinnercups.com/
Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
Don't know why but harry lorayne's website is very hard to see in google chrome browser but works great with other browsers
Ed Matthews
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Ed Matthews
Thanks, RS. Please could you tell me the names of the magazines published by Karl Fulves? Please can you expand on what Pabula is?
Ronald Reagan
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2556 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Sure.

Karl's magazines- Palbearers Review. Chronicles, and Epilogue, Pabular was a magazine that was published in England. It ran from the early 70's to early 80's I believe.
Ed Matthews
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Ed Matthews
Thanks - is it still possible to get copies of these?
Ronald Reagan
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2556 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Check with L&L publishing they republished Karl's magazines in bound volumes. I just checked L&L's website it looks like Chronicles is the only one still in print that they republished. I would check with one of the auction sites or even Denny&Lee's to see if they have the other Fulves magazines. I know Denny did have the Pabular on CD Rom at one point I don't know if he still does or not.
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Jon Racherbaumer published Kabbala and The Heirophant in the 70's and 80's.

They are now bound volumes, The Legendary Kabbala and The Legendary Heirophant.

Richard Kaufman published The Almanac in the 80's, now bound as The Collected Almanac.

P. Howard Lyons published Ibidem in the 50's and 60's, now available as a three volume set.
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
If you haven't read them already: the Jinx (Annemann), the Phoenix, Hugard's Magic Monthly, the New Phoenix -- there are so many great ones.

You've got Apocalypse. That's one to read and re-read. There's so much great material there, and in Richard's Almanac and the Pallbearers Review.

The digital Pabular was put out by Martin Breese (Abracadabra.com).

Matt Field
hp
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of hp
Most of my favorites have already been mentioned.

Another oldie but goodie with quite a bit of good card material is Hugard's Magic Monthly. I have a few loose copies and two of the hardbound volumes (purchased last century). It is now available on digital media for just under $100 for more than 2000 pages.

Marlo's Magazine is a wonder but hard to come by. If you like it you may want to try to find copies of Racherbaumer's publication "The Olram File".

Steve Beam's The Trap Door, coming out hardbound, is also excellent although many of the effects are a shade difficult for me. (They look perfect in Steve's hands though.)

Pabular can be found on a CD and is available many places. At over a 1000 pages it is a fabulous bargain - you can find it for under $50. Search for Pabular Magic Magazine on google to find where you can purchase it.

Also note that many of the periodicals cited contain more than just cards.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
4814 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Ed,

I have tried for a few years now to convince Steve Brooks to offer a section for the discussion of the classic journals, but, to no avail. So I am going to be proactive and do it in Secret Sessions! Taking a cue from Master Hideo Kato's excellent thread Today's Finding, I am inviting people to provide references and discuss effects and essays from these invaluable resources. It may flop but, I am going to give it a try. I DO believe there IS interest and I have found a new fire burning in me for the art that had waned the past months. [My deepest apologies to those whose works I never got around to reviewing. Sometimes life throws other obstacles at us].

So Ed, are ya ready? Here is a short list of what I will be drawing upon. Please bear in mind that we will NOT be providing complete methodological descriptions as the newer journals are still available for purchase. Rather, the point will be to direct each other to gems in these journals and consider variants and creative approaches in handling. Obviously this means that participants would own or have access to said journal. UNLIKE Master Hideo's thread, this one will not be exclusively card magic though obviously, as card magic is the largest subgenre in magic, the thread will weigh heavily toward card magic - unless the coin guys will jump in (HINT: I KNOW you guys check out the Worker's Section Smile).

Some of these journals are available online, some are hardback, some are available as compilation DVDs, while still others are available in hardcopy AND digital. I will detail just a small list. It is NOT all-inclusive.

Apocalypse: four hard backed volumes, written and edited by Harry Lorayne (first 11 issues with Richard Kaufman) - this and The Jinx are my favorite journals.

The Collected Almanac: Hard back compilation of Richard Kaufman's Richard's Almanac.

The Jinx: Available digitally and hard back, although the hard back volumes are harder to find.

The Sphinx: This is one of the MAMMOTH ones. Hard copy complete runs are EXTREMELY rare, but DVD compilation by Chris Wasshuber is EXCELLENT. The Sphinx ran from 1902-1953 and is one of magic's GREAT periodicals.

Pallbearer's Review by Karl Fulves: OOP but I have seen these for sale on the Café. EXCELLENT journal that I hope L&L will consider reprinting for those who missed it the first time.

Genii: Hard copy, and best of all, if you are a Genii subscriber, you have complete access online to the all of Genii dating back to the first issue in 1936.

The Magic Wand: This is the UK equivalent to The Sphinx. Available digitally from Martin Breese.

The TOPS/ The New TOPS: Available digitally from Todd Karr, these journals were originally published by Abbott's.

The Gen: One of the UK's seminal journals and packed with stunning contributions from magicians and mentalists from all over the world.

The Phoenix/New Phoenix: digital and hard cover (hard cover complete set may be tricky to find), this was a bi-weekly journal. The Phoenix was under the editorship of Bruce Elliott. The New Phoenix was under various editors.

The New Jinx: Hard cover, edited by Bill Madsen. There IS magic in this successor to The Jinx, but the focus is IMHO more heavily toward mentalism. Nonetheless a great one to have. I bought mine at Tannen's in March and I believe Richard Kaufman still offers it on his list of wares Smile

The Digital Wizard: Another great UK journal, available digitally from Martin Breese, this is 3000 pages and 945 effects with some real hidden gems.

Pabular: This is available in hard back and DVD. BUT, get the DVD version. I had unwittingly bought the hard bound volumes only to discover that the publisher had NO permission to do this set so, I did the right thing and bought the authorized DVD set. Pabular is FILLED with great magic and the authorized DVD compilation is available from Martin Breese.

Hugard's Magic Monthly: Staggering amount of magic and great essays. Available from Chris Wasshuber digitally and also available in hard back from another publisher.

Stanyon's Magic: Don't let the antiquity of this compilation fool you - there is platinum to mined here! Available digitally from Chris Wasshuber, hard cover from L&L, and Deluxe hard cover from Richard Kaufman

The Goldston Journals: Available digitally from Todd Karr, includes complete compilations of Will Goldston's three major journals.

The Cardiste: ALL card magic, this was a periodical by Rusduck and a great one. Available digitally from Todd Karr.

Spellbinder by Stephen Tucker: Available hard copy AND DVD from Martin Breese. (Tucker's successor, Chicanery, is available from Chris Wasshuber)

Magigram: LONG running UK periodical of Supreme Magic. Available from Martin Breese

The Linking Ring: Hard copy and online access to I.B.M. members (Note: The Sphinx was the original "official" journal for the S.A.M. until MUM)

M.U.M.: Official journal of the S.A.M. This is hard copy, and there is(?)/was a compilation that was a "best of" M.U.M. I do not know if this is still available however. I am a member of I.B.M. but not S.A.M.

Hierophant/Kabbala: Journals by Jon Racherbaumer. Available hard copy and online at Jon Racherbaumer's site. (My first entry for the Secret Sessions thread in fact will be FROM Kabbala).

Ibidem: Published by P. Howard Lyons, this journal was SUPPOSED to be VERY "underground." It is critically acclaimed as one of the most influential journals of card magic. Available in hard back from Stephen Minch and Richard Kaufman. (Richard Kaufman did volume one, and Stephen Minch did vol. 2 and vol.3 which ALSO contains Lyons' next journal titled "AZIZ"

The Bat: Lloyd Jones journal, available digitally from Todd Karr

The Chronicles: The successor to The Pallbearer's Review. Hard back, and not too hard to find. L&L published the compilation and may still have it in stock. Not sure though.

Epilogue: Published by Karl Fulves, this journal was targeted to more hard core sleight of hand than Pallbearer's. Many classic effects had their genesis in Epilogue. Hard copy - check with L&L.

YIKES!! There are MANY more, but I hope this list helps. Some of the others I have are a bit more obscure or else they are more mentalism such as SYZYGY and MAGICK.

Ed, I REALLY hope you will join the party!!

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
890 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Well,if there ever was a topic for Vlad,this was it!! Thorough and informative,as usual Smile
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
3899 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Vlad. Thanks for letting us know about your thread. I'll be there soon. I collect read and study periodicals.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
4814 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
@Adam: You DO have me sussed out Smile Thanks!!

@Magicfish: Well, the REAL reason I am going to do this brother is because you still lead in the hidden gem game by a score of 3-1. This is simply unacceptable Smile

I will be starting the thread tonight with an entry from Kabbala!!

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
4814 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Well, I just can't resist, Ed! I am a believer in overkill!

So a few more:

The New Conjurer's Magazine by Walter Gibson: This is available from Chris Wasshuber. In addition, if you are a Genii subscriber, then you ALSO have access to this!

The Pentagram/New Pentagram by Peter Warlock: HUGE compilation running close to 4000 pages and VERY few ads. While its focus is general magic, there is a LOT of card magic here. Available hard back from a publisher I refuse to mention (see my comment about Pabular) and also digitally from Chris Wasshuber.

Swami/Mantra by Sam Dalal: This is a VERY intriguing journal because it combines traditional western magic with "jadoo" from India. There is a nice amount of card and other traditional magic in its pages. So, while munching on glass, you could learn some effects from Milt Kort and others. Smile This is difficult to find. It was published as a compilation by Richard Kaufman but I am uncertain of its availability.

The Magical Arts Journal by Michael Ammar and Adam Fleischer: This journal is packed with both magic AND some pretty good business advice that stands up today. When the journal was written of course there was no WWW, Facebook, etc., so obviously newer marketing strategies are not discussed in the book, but, like Jim Sisti's excellent Magic Menu, there is a LOT in this excellent journal.

The Magic Menu by Jim Sisti: This baby is the restaurant/bar/walkaround performer's answer to a LOT of prayers. The first 60 issues were nicely bound into a two volume set by L&L Publishing. Mr. Sisti is a member here and I BELIEVE The Magic Menu IS being published again (new issues) but please check with him if you are interested. I want to subscribe to this too if it has been resurrected but I just dropped 3k on a new music workstation so I am P O O R. Smile

Val Andrews' Magic Magazine: Another UK journal, this journal originally show cased effects sold by Val Andrews' and also served as the periodical of his Vampire Club. This journal is probably the least well known of the larger UK publications. I do not know if I will post much from this one. Available still from Martin Breese I think.

Now a note about Bascom Jones MAGICK and SZYGY: These are largely mentalism journals and I hinted at them in my longer post. And now I shall risk opening the eternal debate of whether there is room in mentalism for cards! So, I have girded my loins and shall sally forth and suggest that:

1. There are card effects in BOTH journals so cards ARE acceptable it would seem. Remember that these are not card "tricks" though; these effects use cards as the medium (as opposed to Margery) but are not within the realm of card magic.

2. Legendary mentalists such as Corinda, Annemann, Waters, Maven, Richardson, Canasta, have all used cards and I would defy ANY mentalist to debate THOSE guys Smile

So the game is soon afoot and Ed, THANK you for your interest in magic's great journals!!

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: I wonder if Stan Allen will ever get his act together and do an archive like Genii? Smile
Ed Matthews
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Ed Matthews
This is great. Thanks. There is obviously so much great stuff to get hold of.

Have I started a topic that is destined to be equally classic?!!!!!!!!!!
Ronald Reagan
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
A couple more...

William Goodwin and Gordon Bean Penumbra

Aaron Smith Mr. Gadfly

Both short lived.
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
Mr. X
View Profile
Elite user
U.K.
431 Posts

Profile of Mr. X
Let's not forget...The Crimp.
Available at the "International Magic" shop in London.
Just ask the charming young scot that works there, and be sure to tell him you're a fan have Darwin Ortiz and he'll give you all the help you'll need.
So much to do. So little time.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2468 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Not sure if this would fall into this category or if it was mentioned above, and I missed it, but Stephen Hobbs, "Labryinth," was a great collection of magic.

RevJohn
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
4814 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Ok all, I have started this craziness in Secret Sessions under the title Classic Periodicals!!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=37&0

As I write in the introductory paragraphs, this is open to ALL types of close-up and parlor magic/mentalism not just cards. Let's have some fun with this!!

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: Ed, thanks for the topic here that finally got me off my posterior to get it started!!
Ed Matthews
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Ed Matthews
Well, if it's all the same to everyone else, I'd like people to continue contributing to this topic that I started here. For one thing, I am new here, and do not have access to the link you gave.

By starting a new one, it looks like you've hijacked this one, to be honest.
Ronald Reagan
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
4814 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2011-07-24 10:30, Ed Matthews wrote:
Well, if it's all the same to everyone else, I'd like people to continue contributing to this topic that I started here. For one thing, I am new here, and do not have access to the link you gave.

By starting a new one, it looks like you've hijacked this one, to be honest.

Hi Ed,

In fact I have not hijacked this thread. Your question was about gathering names of periodicals, and in my first response I was very clear that I was going to start a thread in Secret Sessions. The idea behind THAT thread is discussion of EFFECTS.

There IS precedent for this type of thing. Hideo Kato started a thread some years ago called "Today's Finding." It is in the Secret Sessions part of the forum.

Now, I will remain civil and even remind you that:

1. I had stated that I had tried a few times to have Steve Brooks devote a section of the Café to these important resources but to no avail.

2. I DID mention at the outset here that I had every intention of starting a thread there and you at the time seemed to have no problem. Now, you accuse me of hijacking a thread. But, such an accusation is mean, Ed. Many of us have listed a TON of periodicals and I am sure many will continue to do so.

If you look at the entry for journals in magic on MagicPedia, you will find that there have been over 1000 published through the years. I will gladly PM you the link or post it here. But, I chose NOT to do that initially because such a thing would have KILLED interactive interest in your thread.

Look at it this way, Ed: people will choose to contribute where they wish. In fact, my thread may well bomb, but, guess what? I am not in a competition with you! I have ALWAYS believed that magic journals are important. But while we can provide the names for them, I felt it would be ALSO helpful to initiate a thread where effects can be discussed. The purpose ADDS to YOUR thread because it will give the reader a feel for some of these journals.

As to the number of posts you need to get there, 50 is NOT that much and I hope that you will not be so angry and I especially hope you will have the grace to retract your hijacking statement. The thread I started if anything serves as a PARTNER to yours.

So to keep YOURS on track and NOT hijack it:

Hierophant/Kabbala: These two journals by Jon Racherbaumer represented the magic scene from the 70's but as Jon Racherbaumer stated Kabbala was not meant to be a rival to Pallbearer's Review and Epilogue, but eventually "became combative counterpoint to Pallbearer's and Epilogue." [N.B. Hierophant and Kabbala are available with membership I am told at Jon Racherbaumer's site].

So, two more in THIS thread Ed! Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: To hijack a thread means to change its topic such that the original question/topic is lost. The questions/topics in our respective threads ARE different.
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
[quote]On 2011-07-24 11:40, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:
[snip]

Hierophant/Kabbala

So, two more in THIS thread Ed! Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad

[snip]

I had already cited these above.
Justin W
View Profile
Special user
Lawrence, KS
929 Posts

Profile of Justin W
It's terrible that you went uncredited for mentioning those first, huh Blumen? Just terrible!
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-07-24 14:14, Justin W wrote:
It's terrible that you went uncredited for mentioning those first, huh Blumen? Just terrible!

No.

It is annoying that in a thread that is less than one page long, posters haven't managed to read each post.

Yes, Justin. That is terrible!
Justin W
View Profile
Special user
Lawrence, KS
929 Posts

Profile of Justin W
You merely mentioned their names. Vlad elaborated on why he likes them. A nice addition to this thread, no?

I will second whoever's said the Jinx. Man oh man, there is GOLD in those pages.
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-07-24 15:15, Justin W wrote:

You merely mentioned their names. Vlad elaborated on why he likes them. A nice addition to this thread, no?
[snip]

Then Vlad should have said something to the effect of as "already cited above."

And, Vlad did not elaborate on "why he likes them". So, no Justin, not a "nice addition to this thread".

Vlad went on to say:

"So, two more in THIS thread Ed!"

The "two more" were already here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The classic journals of card magic (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.471326 seconds, requiring 104 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [1] [9] [3] [4] [6] [6] [1]