The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jay Sankey's Slyder (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
It looks to me like Jay said Slyder is $15. It's the preorder package, which comes with the extra gimmick and other effects, that will be $40. Maybe I misinterpreted, but that was the impression I got from the video.

In any case, not for me.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Deano88
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincolnshire UK
377 Posts

Profile of Deano88
Quote:
On 2011-07-28 06:35, Mercury52 wrote:
It looks to me like Jay said Slyder is $15. It's the preorder package, which comes with the extra gimmick and other effects, that will be $40. Maybe I misinterpreted, but that was the impression I got from the video.

In any case, not for me.

Kevin

Yeah I got that too! will wait for a proper review before I purchase this one,

Thanks

Dean
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
I'm sure this is simply a way to hide information written on a billet. correct me if I'm wrong
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
I think I know exactly what this is. You guys remember PSI Series 2 - Word of the Ring? A ring is moved around a book, user says stop, and then the word inside there matches his prediction. Looks like Jay duplicated it with a paperclip. That's why it's so large - so you can see a word or two from one paperclip edge to the next.

If so, this would be great to have. The only downside being the magazine/bill, whatever is not 100% examinable afterwards.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Yup
Lloyd Barnes
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of Lloyd Barnes
Quote:
On 2011-07-28 10:00, DougNicols wrote:
I think I know exactly what this is. You guys remember PSI Series 2 - Word of the Ring? A ring is moved around a book, user says stop, and then the word inside there matches his prediction. Looks like Jay duplicated it with a paperclip. That's why it's so large - so you can see a word or two from one paperclip edge to the next.

If so, this would be great to have. The only downside being the magazine/bill, whatever is not 100% examinable afterwards.

Agreed.

Lloyd
Deano88
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincolnshire UK
377 Posts

Profile of Deano88
Iv just been reading round this idea and came across the Word of the ring from Banachek , which was also similar to Max Mavens Isolation Gimmick, now I have no personal knowledge of ever of these, but from reading around it seems that Jays Slyder could be similar though I may be wrong.

Dean
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Just saw the video... The bonus notes are $15 value each 3 booklets = $45 plus two gimmicks... Pre-order price $40.
Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
waltsal
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of waltsal
Eddie Fields once told me he was able to sell blank pieces of paper to college students for $1 a piece. Obviously some people can be sold anything if the marketing is good enough. One of the most successful direct mail campaigns--according to a sales course I once took-- was sent out by an Evangelist to his mailing list. It said, simply: "Send money immediately. Will explain later."
Maynard
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Maynard
Quote:
On 2011-07-28 04:28, EmersonRodriguez wrote:

Each 'SLYDER' gimmick is hand-made by Roy Kueppers
And comes with a DVD full of routines!

I see no mention of a DVD, not even one full of routines Smile
magic.mind
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of magic.mind
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
If Slyder is what I think it is, it essentially appears as one of the opening effects in a very well regarded 1999 book by a famous mentalist / magician (search your libraries, as I'm not about to expose it here in an open forum). I'm curious how the business end of this works, whether that author will receive credit (or any royalties, if appropriate). But that is not really any of my business, besides which I suppose we'll find out soon enough once Slyder is released and reviewed.

But if Slyder is what I think it is, then from the description it is ABSOLUTELY an improvement on the original. Its design should make the 'work' MUCH easier to put in. Props to Sankey for thinking up the improvement, if that is what he did.

Otherwise, I'm going to produce and market my idea myself. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Banachek published an awesome improvement on this principle in an issue of Reel Magic Magazine.
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Pulp Fiction was the one that broke the Sankey spell for me- man that was terrible. You find them all over for sale for next to nothing, because that is what they are worth! The shame of it is that Jay has produced some really excellent material- Lots of ideas, clever gimmicks (Killer Key is still one of my favorite), good basic training material for newbies about presentation, handling, etc. Some of his mentalism DVD's are jammed with great material and ideas, loads of suggestions on how to manage the audience, and are well worth the money I paid for them. I learned a lot from his material, and still go back to it. But the last few years, I have to admit, it's all just hyped up nonsense. After Pulp Fiction I don't buy the hype...

One man's opinion...
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
BTW the book I was talking about is from 1999, but the effect in question was apparently written up and / or first published in 1977.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
johnnyimpossible
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha, Ne
244 Posts

Profile of johnnyimpossible
Man... bummer to hear all this bad publicity... I have a lot of his effects/dvd's... I did purchase the earplugs and was terribly disappointed in the earplugs... they aren't even usable... maybe for a drunk chick at best. I perform sponge ball effects a lot so you know I'm not just flapping my gums on this.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Yup... exactly what I thought.... I do not see at all what is new here....
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
I'm gonna go against the flow here and suggest that anyone who has used the "traditional" material for these effects (and I sure have) knows exactly the benefits of this product just by looking at it.

$45 is steep no doubt.

But there are a couple of routines what could possibly make this a worthwhile investment.

I'll do it the old-fashioned way, just because I wasted all that time trying to get it right.

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
Is this similar to MAGICIANS BOOKMARK that was offered by House of Enchantment a few years back? Not sure but it may belong to Jay Leslie. There was also another effect along the same lines that was also done with a large paper-clip. It was more limited in effect than the aforementioned BOOKMARK.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jay Sankey's Slyder (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL