The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Cool stuff in Dunningers Encyclopedia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

goatears
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of goatears
Hey a friend of mine just gave me his grandfather's copy of Dunninger's Encyclopedia of Magic. I know Dunninger was a legend but as I look through the book I can't find much workable material. Am I missing any treasures?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
southern california
6983 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Depends what you;re into b
I like magic so much... I might take it up as a hobby!

Performance www.jayleslie.com

Magifacturing www.TheHouseOfEnchantment.com
goatears
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of goatears
Close up walk around and kids shows. I'll also design special effects for the local theaters on occasion.
goatears
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of goatears
I was kinda hoping there was some fairly commercial mentalism in there, seeing how Dunninger is a legendary mentalist. Most of the effect require big gimmicks for stage presentations, I was just wondering if I was missing anything.
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
It is a compilation of average material designed to reveal very little. Really just a cash in book for Joe that isn't meant for the magic community but the general public.
goatears
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of goatears
That's kinda what I got from it, there's really no routining or workable explanations.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1628 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Just have a laugh looking at some of the methods.

That's how I looked at it.
A Magazine is a bunch of printed pages that tell you what's coming in the next issue.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
The contents are from a series of "Popular Science" magazines - meant for the public (circa 1920s-30s).

SOME workable tricks....but its really a treasure-trove of generating IDEAS & inspiring creations.

A very famous current Asian magician - has done a water tank escape - that is right out of THIS book.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Correction to my post above:

The 3 issues were titled POPULAR MAGIC, and were issued in 1926 & 1929
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
15883 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
A little reworked a lot of them are very useable. I used a levitation illusion gleened from that text which I made from some angle bracket, some cardboard boxes and a bit of cheap cloth. Used it in my show for years with great success. Whole thing cost me a whopping 8 dollars as I got the boxes for free from the back of a grocery store, and took me maybe an hour to build with no tools but an box cutter, an ice pick, and a staple gun. The idea in Dunninger's is a wire form, which I felt a bit difficult to build and transport, but the method is the same. Has only one angle, directly behind.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Mercurio
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA USA
64 Posts

Profile of Mercurio
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but the memories it brought back were quite amusing. There's a floating ball effect in DEOM that's hilariously unworkable. The performer wears a tank of compressed air with tubing that goes down the arm and nds at the fingertips. A ball magically floats in air. Ummm. Okay. The illustration shows it "floating" quite distance into the audience.

Of course, this couldn't really work. But it's one of the many treasures in that book.

Brett

P.S. In the interests of complete disclosure, I inserted a pipe dream effect of my own in my book "The Propshop: E-Z Tricks with Magical Accessories" that Robbins published in 1975. Yep, it's the duck in the lake that dives down and comes back with the selected card in its bill.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1628 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Mercurio,

Even though the method sounds CRAZY, a certain well known creator (and a genius) floats an ashtray with a method not too far away.

PM me and I will give you the link of a demo clip.

I think the one that takes the biscuit in DEOM is an effect called the vanishing doll. You've got a whole table with a heating coil inside the centre poll. you place a wax doll and cover it with paper tube. the wax melts away and the spectators think the doll has vanished ! !

I don't know how to explain the wax driping down the table or how to kill time while the wax SLOWLEY melts away.
A Magazine is a bunch of printed pages that tell you what's coming in the next issue.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
2514 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Sadly, this was the first magic book I purchased, as it was being sold at Waldens books, back in the day (I was probably around 9). The methods almost scared me away from even attempting magic, as I was beginning to think that every effect was so contrived.

Fortunately, I discovered the magic section in our local library, and found Greater Magic and Tarbell. Saved...
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1628 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Quote:

On 2012-07-01 14:04, Wizard of Oz wrote:

The methods almost scared me away from even attempting magic....

Could have been worst.

Your first book could have been Al Jaffee's Mad Book Of Magic Smile
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4475 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-06-29 21:40, Mercurio wrote:
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but the memories it brought back were quite amusing. There's a floating ball effect in DEOM that's hilariously unworkable. The performer wears a tank of compressed air with tubing that goes down the arm and nds at the fingertips. A ball magically floats in air. Ummm. Okay. The illustration shows it "floating" quite distance into the audience.

Of course, this couldn't really work. But it's one of the many treasures in that book.

One of the big shows at Disneyland or Disneyworld had a Sorcerers Apprentice segment where Mickey Mouse came out and floated a ball pretty much using this exact same method. So it's naot as impossible as you think.
I contend that we are both atheists.
I just believe in one fewer god than you do.

http://masterpaynemagic.com
Need a Corset in Seattle? http://fittingroomcorsets.com
roberto37
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of roberto37
I think that this book is very good to have inspirations for effect that need a new method.
SHLONKY
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of SHLONKY
It may be a coincidence I stumbled upon this thread...

I have just this second started researching a book I purchased around 8 years ago by BOB DUNN. Some of my prize secrets were found in this book and so I thought id find more by bob....turns out he was actually a cartoonist who was very close to dunninger and other magicians who I'm assuming helped him out with this book (entitled magic for all - 1954).

it seems its the only magic book dunn did as he never claimed to be an actual magician. so, I think I'm going to research into dunninger instead. ..and as it happens, I click on this section of the Café and the first thing I see is dunningers name Smile

it seems the book was reprinted in 2010 by kessinger, I am lucky enough to have the first print in mint condition, and from my memory there were a few tricks (one involving a coin) that no longer works due to todays date! id love to see if this is recreated, or wiped off the face of the earth?

if anyone has anything to reccomend for dunninger or the likes then I'm open to ears.
thanks
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Remember--this book (originally published in the mid-1920's "Popular Magic" magazines, as I stated above)was meant for the PUBLIC.

We can be THANKFUL for the many bogus methods within..which basically "expose" nothing...but the readers THINK otherwise.

Likewise, isn't that the cleverness of the many bogus "exposures" on the "Masked Magician" TV Specials? --the public think they're being told a big secret, when in fact - its a purposely bogus & laughable explanation (i.e a forklift used to levitate a woman).

For those who laugh at the methods in DCEOM....I think Dunninger and the publishers knew exactly what they were doing!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Cool stuff in Dunningers Encyclopedia (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.112486 seconds, requiring 56 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [7] [1] [6] [8] [8] [5] [1]