The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Kartis Visible Bill Change by Tango (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Purchased this from Alakazam in the UK a month ago and the following review may help those considering it's purchase. Apologies if it's already been reviewed but a 'search' didn't bring anything up.

If you are looking for a truly 'wow' visual transformation, then look no further than this outstanding effect.

What you get:
- An instructional DVD
- The gimmick - made with a real American Dollar Bill.

DVD:
- As usual with Tango, you have a very well produced, instructional DVD. Clips of Mr Tango (Marcelo Insua) showing this trick in the real world on the streets of Argentina - check the audience reactions! The instructions are in Spanish or English and, as I've noticed with other Tango products, the explanations are so clear and precise, that you can actually learn them from the Spanish narrative! Mr Tango and the originator (Kartis) take you through every aspect of performance - with well thought out slow motion clips during the instruction phases, so that you can follow along with prop in hand (great idea).

Construction of the gimmick:
- As mentioned already, this comes with everything that you need there and then to practice with, then go out and perform. I don't dislike the fact that it's made with Dollar Bill - there's a wealth of patter lines that you can adopt to this end. Also, I never know why magicians in the UK always want to use £ sterling notes, only to then get out 4 half dollar coins and a deck of Bikes! I digress. If it was made in £ or Euros, then the price would need to reflect this so a dollar bill works fine for me.

How difficult is it to do?:
- Can you fold a piece of paper and flick your wrist? Then you will perform this effect. However, you WILL have to work a little on your angles. I've seen some negative comments about angles (and the folding aspects) - well I can only assume that these people expect to perform a literally self-working miracle with no practice whatsoever. Even with 'self-workers' you need to get the feel of the prop AND STILL PRACTICE WITH IT surely?

Time to reset:
- Literally 3 seconds; so it's great for table hopping.

Work it from:
- Either your hand as you approach a table or just as easily, take it from your pocket or wallet.

Where would it fit in a routine?:
- Anywhere really as once it's set, it's ready to go at any time. However, if table hopping, I can't think of a stronger, quick opener to grab people's attention.

Can it be examined?:
- Nope - but let's be honest, if we are performing magic for a living, should we really be wasting people's time handing around our props for inspection at a table anyway - in my experience this just slows down your performance and, in my view, isn't professional.

Critical Analysis:
- (i) I would have liked this to have been made with a better quality, sturdier blank paper - as I'll be using this regularly, I can see myself getting out the Pritt Stick frequently to make new ones.
- (ii) NOTE (no pun intended) that the DVD does NOT show you how to construct this effect from scratch - so I'd strongly recommend that you take some time at the outset to draw out how the gimmick is constructed! Maybe Tango could consider selling 'refills' upon proof of purchase via a code on the DVD? In any event, knocking one of these up from scratch (or changing the trick to meet your specification in Pounds, Euros, Lottery Ticket version, etc.) would take around 5-10 minutes.
- (iii) Angles - you will need to be aware of your angles if spectators are sitting and you are standing; it's not a major problem but there are just two momentary (literally split second) points in the performance when you need to consider holding the note a little lower - on the DVD itself you see 2 'flashes' (but in fairness, these are during the explanation and not the performance segment).

Can I make this up in other formats?:
- Yep; as outlined above, it would take minimal time to customise this effect to suit your own individual needs.

Is this product worth the money?:
- Very much so; it's one of the most visual transformations I've seen in my 33 years of performing magic. This is NOT something that you will be putting in your drawer to gather dust. As with all Tango products, I'm delighted with this trick - despite the one slight criticism outlined above.

Will I use it?:
- This is a 'real worker'; and I'm now using it regularly. I'd be really surprised if it doesn't fit somewhere into your current close up routine.

Overview:
- A startling visual and magical transformation that really will give you a 'wow moment' with your audience. The gimmick supplied is fine for me - but the concept can be easily custom made for your own requirements. The paper could be better quality but I envisage getting quite a few months worth out of this gimmick before making another.

Yet another creative masterpiece from Argentina!

Hope that my comments have been useful. I've not written a review for a long time so hopefully this gives you a balanced, fair overview of the effect and aids in your decision making process of whether to buy it.

Personally, I'm delighted with it - and would unreservedly recommend its purchase.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
magic.mind
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of magic.mind
Thanks for your review. Looks great in video.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Hi
Very nice review!
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
When I first got this I was NOT impressed at all, but it was USER error.
That is right...I was the problem

After playing around with this, it is AWESOME!
I LOVE IT!
A keeper
A great kicker for polaroid outdone using the practice cards...
hornet
View Profile
Veteran user
Herts, England
374 Posts

Profile of hornet
How does this compare to Cinch by Shaun Robison?
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I haven't seen the Kartis change live, though I do have Cinch and like it a lot.

Merc Man, you said it cannot be examined - do you mean the gimmick? The bill itself? I agree that handing things out for examination is asking for trouble, but in the case of bill changes it is nice to be able to give away the bill at the end. E.g., with Cinch I can change blank paper - or any other paper - to a bill and then give the bill away. I did that at a diner not too long ago when paying the bill - went over real well! (Did the same with Extreme Burn 2 about two months earlier at the same diner!)

So with Kartis you cannot give the bill away?

Thanks!

Jim
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Sorry for the late response J Mac.

You can't give the bill away with the Kartis Method as it's self-contained - and nothing is detatchable.

That said, the instant change is literally made with just a flick of the wrist with just one hand - so upon the the transformation into the bill, it could easily be folded and switched for a clean bill - secreted in the redundant hand.

I've had this trick for over 6 months and I still get a kick performing it. The laymen reaction is excellent.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I second that..great buy...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
Cinch have all advantage indeed because that is my favorite. But, the Kartis Visible Bill Change is a wonderful piece of transformation also.

Falconer
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
The big advantage for Cinch is that you can simply hand out the bill for inspection at the end of the routine (then do a quick clean up whilst the spectators are inspecting it) - this is a real plus point for me.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
I agree with TheGreatRaymondo!

Falconer
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
Romano911
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Romano911
Apparantly there is a new Kartis Bill Change 2.0, eg at Penguin. Anyone have this, if so any thoughts as to whether it improves much on the original?
Commonly known as Mariano Blanco.
Docc Spurlock
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago & Arizona
165 Posts

Profile of Docc Spurlock
Yes, I also would like to see a review of the new Kartis 2.0
"CREATOR OF THE FLOATING FLAME TO DOVE"

If you are always looking back you can't see what's in front of you so when you bump your head again you have no one to blame but yourself!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Kartis Visible Bill Change by Tango (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL