The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » NEW Persi Diaconis book! Magical Mathematics: The Mathematical Ideas that Animate Great Magic Tricks (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2011-10-19 15:33, J Christensen wrote:
I agree that this is a great book. A treasure trove of information, it certainly provides much to think about and explore. I am a little surprised that there is no mention of Max Maven or Lou Boudreau in a book that discusses the Gilbreath Principle and de Bruijn sequences. This is not a criticism, just an expectation of mine that wasn't met.

The book is selective, not encyclopedic.

Notwithstanding, there is material here that, to my limited knowledge, has never before been compiled in one volume.

As one example: I have not researched this extensively, but someone who is far more conversant with this branch of magic/card magic informed me that this is the first published explanation of the heretofore very secret, “Ultimate” Gilbreath Principle.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Think of this book, perhaps, as a perfect companion to Arthur MacTier’s legendary, “Card Concepts: An Anthology of Numerical & Sequential Principles within Card Magic."
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Received mine a few days ago. I'm still finishing up Woody Aragon's book, but this is next on my list. I'll have to squeeze it in over the weekend so that I'll be ready for the new Harry Lorayne book when it arrives.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Magiguy,
If you can squeeze this book in over one weekend, you may want to create a Super-Mensa Chapter and appoint yourself as President for life!
: )
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
OK, it's like this;
First trick in the book is an unpublished,, and brilliant effect from Steve Freeman, STEVE FREEMAN!!

With a Royal Flush ending, and looking nothing like a math trick, this is but trick #1 in the contents of the book.

With more from Persi, Ricky Jay, and many more, I've not ever seen a card magic book with this many previously unpublished, unspoken, "insiders only" card tricks.

There is advanced work on the Gilbreath Principle in here that has never seen print. I'm not talking about new tricks using the Gilbreath, I'm talking about an entirely new take on the Gilbreath, much advanced over what we know as the standard Gilbreath Principle.
This was unpublished until now!

Simply amazing.
There are many who thought much of this material would go to the grave with Diaconis, Freeman, Jay et al.
But here it all is!
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2011-10-20 16:52, panlives wrote:
Magiguy,
If you can squeeze this book in over one weekend, you may want to create a Super-Mensa Chapter and appoint yourself as President for life!
: )

Yeah... you're right. I just started reading it this morning. I think I may have underestimated the material, or given myself way too much credit. Smile There's no way I'll get through this in a weekend.
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
495 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
Quote:
On 2011-10-21 00:13, Artie Fufkin wrote:
OK, it's like this;
First trick in the book is an unpublished,, and brilliant effect from Steve Freeman, STEVE FREEMAN!!

With a Royal Flush ending, and looking nothing like a math trick, this is but trick #1 in the contents of the book.

With more from Persi, Ricky Jay, and many more, I've not ever seen a card magic book with this many previously unpublished, unspoken, "insiders only" card tricks.

There is advanced work on the Gilbreath Principle in here that has never seen print. I'm not talking about new tricks using the Gilbreath, I'm talking about an entirely new take on the Gilbreath, much advanced over what we know as the standard Gilbreath Principle.

Simply amazing.
There are many who thought much of this material would go to the grave with Diaconis, Freeman, Jay et al.
But here it all is!

I didn't think I was interested in this book, but Artie's post now has me thinking this is something I must have. Looking forward to more reviews.
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2011-10-21 12:08, Feral Chorus wrote:
Quote:
OK, it's like this;

Simply amazing.
But here it all is!

I didn't think I was interested in this book, but Artie's post now has me thinking this is something I must have. Looking forward to more reviews.

Artie nailed it!

This book is much more than even the sub-title implies.
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
This is a fascinating book. I loved the "capture/recapture" strategy used to estimate the number of magic tricks in existence at the time Scot's Discoverie of Witchcraft was printed. There am sorry that I have only the last chapter left to read.
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
Much as I'd love to have this book right now it seems Amazon UK are struggling to get stock and no one else seems to have it either Smile
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

I just bought the download version from Lybrary.
You will need to have Adobe Editions installed to be able to view it, but its quite nice.

anyways,

I just briefly skimmed throught the book, and already my mind is racing with ideas to be able to use some of these theorems.

There is an effect in the book that to me already is worth the price of the book and more.

For those that have it, it is the effect utilizing 32 cards...........I can instanly find ways to use this in a parlour setting.

some of the stuff on here will fool magicians and laymen.

I just need to read it more carefully.

I was undecided at first, but I am glad I purchased.

thanks

alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Piqsirpoq
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
116 Posts

Profile of Piqsirpoq
Quote:
On 2011-10-25 13:12, magicphill wrote:
Much as I'd love to have this book right now it seems Amazon UK are struggling to get stock and no one else seems to have it either Smile

I got mine from bookdepository.co.uk
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
This book made my brain hurt. 75% of this book is math theory, involving equations and what not. The other 25% involves magical applications, i.e., effects, and discussions of pioneers in the field (a selective group to be sure). There are some very deceptive methods here, though not much in the way of entertaining presentations, which is always where math based tricks fall short for me.

I see this book as best suited for magical theorists or those who like to come up with their own effects or tinker with others rather than those who want to immediately add something to their professional set. This will give the former group the tools they need to create some amazing effects, but I don't expect them to get a lot of stuff they will be using right "out of the box." For that (if you are interested in math based effects), I would recommend Woody Aragon's "A Book in English."
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
199 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
Just saw a review of this book in Nature (arguably the world's top science journal). Kind of cool for a magic book... Amazon has this pretty cheap (especially on the Kindle...)

-Rob
Mephisticator
View Profile
New user
Canada
61 Posts

Profile of Mephisticator
It should be noted that this is a mathematics book first and foremost and also happens to contain some *** impressive magic.
Diaconis himself said that his hope is that this book will turn some young people on to mathematics.
As lumberjohn said: "75% of this book is math theory. Keep that in mind.
If you are like me and have a strong interest in math and magic, then this book is more than perfect.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
OK, it's like this;

Simply amazing.
But here it all is!

I read past this opening effect (Royal Hummer), stupidly, without even trying it.

A few days ago, a very good friend of mine did it to a colleague of mine, over the phone.

My colleague is still thinking about the impossibility of what happened to her! She mentions it a few times every day.

I went back to the book and…all I can say is, “Wow.” This is a hands-off, borrowed deck, spectator shuffles, spectator makes choices…Jaw. Dropping. Magic.

Anyone who may be intimidated by the heavy Mathematics is surely missing out on the Magic book of the year.

Perhaps the most innovative Card Magic book in a long, long time. I am tempted to say, "ever."
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1179 Posts

Profile of Chris
For anybody who likes math or math-based tricks this is a must read, no question about it. Yes, there is quite a bit of heavy math in it that for many will be a turn-off. However, it is quite possible to fly over the math and only read the effects and descriptions of the methods, not the math background, if that is not your stuff. But I do think that anybody interested in math-based effects will also be interested to read about the mathematics in the back even if not everything will immediately click and be perfectly understandable.

There is one big criticism I must point out. Something that should not have happened to two such distinguished math professors. Persi Diaconis and Ron Graham spend several chapters on de Bruijn cycles. However, they do not mention once Leo Boudreau the one man who has more than anybody else explored the applications of this method and understood its power. I can only assume that for whatever reason they are not familiar with Leo Boudreau's work. That is a gaping hole in their research.

Anybody interested in Leo's work can check here http://www.lybrary.com/leo-boudreau-m-37.html
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
777 Posts

Profile of Loz
I couldn't agree more Chris - the lack of a reference to Leo Boudreau upset me. I have almost all his stuff and it was a bit of a shocker to not see him cited properly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » NEW Persi Diaconis book! Magical Mathematics: The Mathematical Ideas that Animate Great Magic Tricks (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL