The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cybershells...Shells for the 21st Century? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
What do you think?

Brian Watson tipped his creation here (Post of Aug 2, 2011 7:31pm):

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=115&12
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Thanks! I really should start a thread here I guess, it seems to be where all the cups and shells people live!

Here's some eye candy!

Bri
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Why, why WHY?!!!????
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 00:45, RS1963 wrote:
Why, why WHY?!!!????

Would you prefer three Harry Potter sorting hats, a snitch as the pea and mini sword of griffenor as the surprise load?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

There are many hidden features hidden within the design that were specifically built into these for ease and reliability of handling on most surfaces.
They are not just a "novelty design."
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Nice Jonathon but no. In fact I would not like those either. I'm not a lone in my dislike for these either I must ad. It's just that some are keeping quite about it. Which is probably better since saying little about such things brings less attention to it and sends it back into the woodwork.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

We all have different tastes RS1963. I live in a world where people can agree to disagree and I appreciate your point of view.

Bri
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
In spite of what you might claim they are, unfortunately, a novelty design.....regardless of what features may or may not be included.

The three shell game is topical in and of itself and doesn't need to have a topical presentation. The con game is topical enough.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Wow! I'm surprised by the negative responses. I think these look fantastic, and having read the lengthy description that Brian emailed to me, I'm even more impressed. Are we saying that if something is good enough, we should just stop there? Should every presentation always be exactly the same?

Frankly, I get bored of the constant "three shell and the pea game" presentation that SO many people attach to shells, cups and balls, even three card monte. Is everyone really happy doing using identical presentations? How boring is that??

I have to add that someone hoping to "send something back to the woodwork" that someone else spent years creating is just plain mean. Bri is very knowledgeable when it comes to these things; he's not some random hack putting out a DVD he shot on an iPhone one afternoon. If you don't like them, don't buy them, but what skin off your nose is it if someone else wants them? You're actually hoping for them NOT to sell?

These look beautifully made and I LOVE the unique and genius presentation that inspired Bri to come out with them. Well done mate!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Thanks Andrew, I appreciate your comments.

As I have said before, everyone has their own tastes and that's a good thing.

These do not have a gambling theme or a traditional 3 shell game look, feel or routine.

They are deliberately designed to be very different to traditional walnuts etc. The routine is more akin to a chop cup routine being that there are 3 climaxes, audience involvement and the routine is short and punchy.

If someone wants to do a (in my opinion beautiful and amazing to watch) traditional shells presentation then there are many fantastic sets out there and I wouldn't recommend these for that. They are both very different animals so there's little or not point in drawing comparisons.

These are what they are and an audience watching this routine and a traditional 3 shell routine would remember 2 completely different things.

I wont be drawn into an agruement as there's no point so I have nothing else to say on the matter. I'd rather be positive than spend my time on the Café searching for posts I can be negative about. As I said we all have different tastes. I live in a world where people can agree to disagree and I appreciate your point of view.

Bri
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 17:20, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Would you prefer three Harry Potter sorting hats, a snitch as the pea and mini sword of griffenor as the surprise load?

Excuse me, but it's spelled "Gryffindor". Smile

And congrats Bri. The shells look great. I can't believe you did this in pewter. I bet they feel great!
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 22:56, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Wow! I'm surprised by the negative responses. I think these look fantastic, and having read the lengthy description that Brian emailed to me, I'm even more impressed. Are we saying that if something is good enough, we should just stop there? Should every presentation always be exactly the same?

Frankly, I get bored of the constant "three shell and the pea game" presentation that SO many people attach to shells, cups and balls, even three card monte. Is everyone really happy doing using identical presentations? How boring is that??

To your first question. The presentation of the shells can be changed enough without changing from Walnut or bottle caps as the street hustlers use. The fact that people know what three walnut shells and a pea, or 3 bottle caps and a pea, When they see those items together they think "I know that game" Even with the Cups and Balls they can think at first it's the shell game. They know right away what they are going to see when they see 3 shells and a pea taken out by a performer. As the saying goes if it isn't broken don't fix it. The shell game has never been broken and never will be. For your second question. Actually re read what my answer was.

Having just read Bri's post it does seem clear that he had not intended for them to be thought of as props for the 3 shell game. So even that says something right there that the shells don't nor should they be changed from what has been used for ages in 3 shell game routines. But alas some are going to much it up anyway.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 01:21, RS1963 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 22:56, Andrew Zuber wrote:

To your first question. The presentation of the shells can be changed enough without changing from Walnut or bottle caps as the street hustlers use. The fact that people know what three walnut shells and a pea, or 3 bottle caps and a pea, When they see those items together they think "I know that game" Even with the Cups and Balls they can think at first it's the shell game. They know right away what they are going to see when they see 3 shells and a pea taken out by a performer. As the saying goes if it isn't broken don't fix it. The shell game has never been broken and never will be. For your second question. Actually re read what my answer was.

Having just read Bri's post it does seem clear that he had not intended for them to be thought of as props for the 3 shell game. So even that says something right there that the shells don't nor should they be changed from what has been used for ages in 3 shell game routines. But alas some are going to much it up anyway.

I totally disagree with this argument. And it's got bad math in its logic to boot.
It reminds me of this quote I just made up: "It's Thimble Rigging and never should be played with walnuts. It should only ever be done with thimbles. You look like a hobo with those nut shells." William Wrong, 1880
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I guess some guys get periods too! I hope the cramping is minimal. LOL
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Those look great! Topical. Everyone knows what a mouse is and a wedge of Swiss cheeze. Patter themes will be easy. This is an example of nice original thinking. It will not work for everyone but neither will walnut shells and a pea.

Thanks for sharing these and making them available to others.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
I happen to like it, well actually I love them enough to buy 3 sets...

Francis
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day!
Paul Reed
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Paul Reed
Works for me, hey I'm a geek - will go down a treat with my crowd (all engineers)!
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
The shells for the new decade are screw on whisky bottle caps.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Unless you perform for teetotalers or in Salt Lake City Utah... LOL.

It updates the trick for some... kind of like thumb drives verses color changing knives.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Andrew, Donnie, Magic Researcher, Francisngkl, Paul Reed, BCS etc. and everyone else who has contributed something good or bad, Thank you. I've been travelling and just packing to leave again tonight.

Picked up the instruction books this morning and they look great, 71 pages and 64 photographs. The certificates are done and everything is set to go on time.

Bri
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cybershells...Shells for the 21st Century? (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL