The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Magic Review » » Wizard Product Review 68. Redemption, The light, Wormhole (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-09-10 04:22, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 13:55, KyleMacNeill wrote:
Quote:
Dave and Craig are not the owners of the World Magic Store and are not doing their reviews to promote the stores products.

Dave and Craig do own WMS.

Kyle

That's why these reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt. Jim, Craig and Dave are trying to make a living just like the rest of us.

Yep Dave and I are trying to make a living. We are also both members of the WMS team but I don't see why that means people should take our reviews with a pinch of salt. We have found that one of the best ways to build customer loyalty is to be completely honest with our customers about what's good and bad. It's just like when you go into a magic shop that you visit regulary and the guy behind the counter tells you that you should avoid a certain trick. We are doing the same thing but to a larger audience. It's being well documented that we have made a lot of enemies being honest about products but we do it because there is so much bad magic being released on a daily basis. You can say what you want about the WPR - say I rant too much, that we are annoying, that Dave talks over me, that I flash all the time. That's fine and part of the fun of the show but one thing you can't say is we are not 100% honest because we are to the point we have got in trouble many times. We even gave Worker of the Convention to a product we don't and cannot sell and promoted the site you can get it from. How does that help WMS with sales. We did it because in our opinion IR was the best thing we saw at Magic Live and we had to say so.

Hope this helps you understand our position.

Craig
jfquackenbush
View Profile
Special user
Out here on the desert
607 Posts

Profile of jfquackenbush
Thanks for clearing that up Craig, and I can totally see how that would make a difference. I do really appreciate the fact that you guys demoed it because I'd been hearing a lot of good things about it, and it took seeing it for me to know that it really wasn't for me, which was also the case with memento which may be why the IR review brought the memento review to mind. That said, one of my favorite things about WPR is that if I do see something that looks like it will work for me, I've never been let down by your review of it. And also there have been times that I ignored your review to my peril and ended up with something I didn't like at all. So thanks again for all that you and Dave do.
Mr. Quackenbush believes that there is no such thing as a good magic trick.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Quote:
On 2011-09-11 05:33, Craig Petty wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-10 05:39, Merc Man wrote:
I didn't initially watch the revue all the way through - but have just revisited it because of the numerous comments from people about the effect - 'Industrial Revelation'.

Now I can't comment too much on the weight issue as I don't know what it actually weighs - suffice to say it doesn't look like something that you can easily work from your pockets - not unless you want to convince people that the recent plastic hip replacement operation hasn't been totally successfully (not to mention that you need to get the hernia checked out as well).

However, am I missing something here - and can someone please explain how this is MAGICAL rather than just simply being a PUZZLE? Let's be honest, you can just envisage a certain company in Japan bringing out a plastic version in the not too distant future.

Clearly it floats some people's boats but for me, I wouldn't use this in a month of Sundays. To my mind, it IS one of those effects whereby people want to examine the prop - and that for my way of working is a 'no-no'. You are being paid to perform - not stand there like a gormless clown whilst a table of 10 people pass a block of steel around for inspection!

I know we are all different but to my mind this is simply a puzzle, or at best, something to show the boys down the pub. How anyone could adopt this into a 'Magical PERFORMANCE' is beyond me.....but if you can, then bloody good luck to you!

Well thanks for calling Dave, myself and hundreds of other magicians gormless clowns!!!

For the record, while I agree that it is more of a puzzle than a magic trick, I do not agree with the gormless clown comment. I am not a fan of the effect, but I can see what you mean by the moment of amazement. To each his own.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Okay, I'll take back the gormless clown comment - and given that hundreds Smile of magicians have bought this puzzle (whoops!) trick - there must be more spare cash floating around than many UK economists would have us believe.

Anyway, to overcome the potential 'down time' problem whilst a block of steel is handed around the table, maybe you could wrap it up in several layers of paper and have intermittent music playing in the background? Maybe, there's even room for a 'ferrous changing bar' when the last spectator rips off the final piece - brings a whole new concept to 'The Alchemist's Dream'!

Just a thought.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Merc, I think that that word you used, "potential" is a key here. Personally, I don't think it is necessary at all to hand it 'round the table - any more that one would let each person at a table see a deck of cards to see if it is gimmicked.

Yes, there is a higher interest level in this because it is not everyday one sees something like it, and there is a shock when that thing that filled the card box falls on the table.

Puzzle or not, its the reactions that count, and how it makes/doesn't make the audience remember you (or not). Obviously for some, it hits the spot. For others, its just not something they see themselves doing.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Quote:

Puzzle or not, its the reactions that count, and how it makes/doesn't make the audience remember you (or not). Obviously for some, it hits the spot. For others, its just not something they see themselves doing.

Well put.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hiya Gang!

I thought I'd just quickly chime in here. Just in case they missed the other thread, a HUGE THANK YOU goes out to Craig and Dave for reviewing Industrial Revelation! As a reviewer myself for years (Magic Friday), it's interesting being on the other side of the fence.

With regards to the Puzzle aspect, it's an interesting observation. To be honest, I never thought of it in that light until someone else mentioned it. To me (and I realize that I'm extremely biased, lol) I have always thought of it as a 3 in 1 effect...

1) A Transformation~ The first magical moment happens when I place the box into their hands or when they lift the box off the table. Since it's in a cardbox and I've been referring to it as a deck of cards the entire time (I'll sometimes do a sw***h), that's exactly what they're expecting. So when they feel the weight (1.5 pounds), there's a transformation happening. Why is this deck so heavy?!

2) An Appearance~ Granted it's not a tiger, but something amazing is going to come out of the box that has no place in this environment. Like the tiger on stage... How did a block of steel appear in my hand? Where did it come from? It's so heavy, there's no way he was carrying that this whole time!!

3) A Penetration~ Now comes the kicker. After they've been amazed (and I promise you from the thousand or so times I've performed this, they're amazed even at this point) you can almost see their minds begin to melt... Wait a minute...Didn't a quarter just go through there?! Wha!!!

The dictionary describes a puzzle as:

"a toy, problem, or other contrivance designed to amuse by presenting difficulties to be solved by ingenuity or patient effort."

I have to say that, in my opinion, Industrial Revelation doesn't fall into that category. At the end of the effect, I firmly, 100% believe that the spectator isn't thinking, "How on Earth does this block work?" but rather, ""How does Jamie do these things?! He's amazing!!!"

That said, I am the absolute worst person to defend Industrial Revealtion as I created it and am always looking on the positive side of things (thats' my nature), lol. I always love open discussion though enjoy reading every post that's written by someone who has taken the time out fo their day to comment on something I created. Whether it's good or not doesn't matter; it's an honor.

You guys are awesome!

jamie d. grant
http://www.SendWonder.com
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Jamie, for what it's worth, I agree. I don't have IR yet...but I don't understand how this could be more of a puzzle than any other magic effect. In most tricks a magician presents a situation (not necessarily a "problem"), his or her resolution (not necessarily needed), and a result. Meaning, we give our audience a contrived scenario, and offer a contrived resolution.

Your effect is no different...it's just presented in a reversed order, which to me, is its charm. (And, to be fair, has been done many times before, but, who cares?).

Do the critiques need you to reverse the presentation to present an empty, and un-damaged card box...then insert a solid block of steel, and stab it with a knife, only to show the block undamaged? Will that make it real magic and not a puzzle?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
To the Wizard of Oz and others, yes, typicaly a penetration is presented by showing the object (or person) first, placing them in some kind of container, performing the penetration and then showing the object unharmed. Does not have to be done this way but it usually is. Second I have had some fun with this trick and peoples response to finding a heavy block of steel in there hand. That is really the best part of the trick. Most of my spectator smile, many of them ask (with their eyes if not their words) "you can't put the quarterh through it now can you" and of course you can't. Which is even without the details is an explination of sorts in the minds of some spectators.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
A lot of middle of the night misspellings in that last post, sorry about that.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Well...here you have a worker doing IR...
Obviously the weight is solved here by using a pouch to carry the effect. He is doing it in a casual environment to film his show, not in table hooping. The reactions are EXTREMELY GOOD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmS4i8Qtx......eo_title

Actually note at 2:07 how this lady "plays" with the block and the fast that they cut to the other clip...If I had to bet she discover how the trick is done or almost Eric need to take the block from her hands quickly.
I'm not criticizing Eric's performance, I LOVE HIS SHOW AND I LOVE HIS APPROACH TO MAGIC ! and he knows it! BUT I'm trying to make my point clear here...

Thanks,
-H
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Actually my friend, no one has discovered the secret to this thing in the 40 times I have performed it.

You guys only think its a puzzle because you know how it works. Try to get in the laymen mind frame, penetration is one of the 8 effects in magic. Why would this one be a mere puzzle?

Is ''Interlude'' a puzzle?

Thanks for the great trick Jamie! You are the king of penetration!!!!
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Well... I lost my bet!
Erick, You still ROCKS !!!!!
-H
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
That's just what I want a spectator to do with my IR; saw at it with a butter knife!

The only thing that is a "puzzle" me is how someone could think of this as merely a "puzzle"?
It is indeed a magical effect/moment for the spectator.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2011-09-13 10:26, Eric Leclerc wrote:

You guys only think its a puzzle because you know how it works. Try to get in the laymen mind frame, penetration is one of the 8 effects in magic. Why would this one be a mere puzzle?

WRONG actually Eric - I DON'T KNOW how it works (nor do I need to).

I DO get into the layman's mind frame - that's why I have honed an act, over a number of years, that I know plays well and entertains people.

As for penetration being one of the 8 effects in magic - I don't disagree. That said, if we are referring to a penetration effect per se, then I much prefer an effect such as Mark Leveridge's 'borrowed finger ring & cord' routine. That, in my mind, is an actual magical ROUTINE with a structure, that gets progressively more bewildering, engages the spectators physically AND (the aspect I enjoy most with any magic) can be performed with borrowed, everyday items.

Clearly we are coming from different directions with this - but I know which, to my mind, appears more magical! Smile
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Mal3
View Profile
New user
UK
79 Posts

Profile of Mal3
Just watched the vid and the people having a go at it with the knife made me cringe, knowing how much this costs. lol
Mal3
View Profile
New user
UK
79 Posts

Profile of Mal3
Just watched the vid and the people having a go at it with the knife made me cringe, knowing how much this costs. lol
Mal3
View Profile
New user
UK
79 Posts

Profile of Mal3
Apologies for the double post.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Magic Review » » Wizard Product Review 68. Redemption, The light, Wormhole (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL