The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Happy National Grandparents' Day! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
By proclamation of the President of the United States, today is National Grandparents Day.

I kid you not:

Quote:
The greatest generation built America into a global force for prosperity, opportunity, and freedom. They taught us that with hard work, sacrifice, and a determined spirit, anything is possible. Today, we honor their contributions to our Nation and its proud story.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim September 11, 2011, as National Grandparents Day. I call upon all Americans to take the time to honor their own grandparents and those in their community.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this ninth day of September, in the year of our Lord two thousand eleven, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-sixth.

I am speechless.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
What a clueless man.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Dear Mr. Obama...I'm sure Grandparents will appreciate that this 'day' be part of the Change promised...how about next year it's April 15th.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
He didn't pick the day, should that be part of what is troubling you. 'National Grandparents Day' is the first Sunday of September after Labor Day.

From what I can find it is also by law his DUTY to do this proclamation, according to what Congress and the Senate passed. See below.

--- From Wikipedia:

In February, 1977, Senator Randolph, with the concurrence of many other senators, introduced a Joint Resolution to the Senate requesting the President to "issue annually a proclamation designating the first Sunday of September after Labor Day of each year as 'National Grandparents Day'." Congress passed the legislation proclaiming the first Sunday after Labor Day as National Grandparents Day and, on August 3, 1978, then-President Jimmy Carter signed the proclamation.[2] The statute cites the day's purpose as: "...to honor grandparents, to give grandparents an opportunity to show love for their children's children, and to help children become aware of strength, information, and guidance older people can offer".
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Not only clueless, but tone deaf and incompetent. How difficult would it have been for a competent White House to alert the Congress and pass a resolution moving the day one week for this year?
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
IF I had been in office...(gag) and read what I was signing...there WOULD have been changes at least to reflect the sensitivity of what the day has become. I would otherwise be correctly considered clueless. Obviously there was another clueless fool who should have known better and changed it prior to the current occupant.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-09-11 11:07, Woland wrote:

Not only clueless, but tone deaf and incompetent. How difficult would it have been for a competent White House to alert the Congress and pass a resolution moving the day one week for this year?

For all we know he did, and the Republicans refused so as to make him look bad?

And I'm quite sure that every Republican and Democratic politician in Congress and the Senate was well aware of this day. They hardly needed "alerting". For whatever reason, none of them thought it important to change the date. You are welcome to make the case that they are all clueless. I'll buy that. But pinning it all on the President seems pretty disingenuous to me. (Of course, remember the old mantra, change the date and the terrorists will have won.)

As I imagine Doug was referring to above, Bush proclaimed National Grandparent's Day on September 11, 2005. Practically while the ruins were still smoldering! Smile

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/n......ents-day

One of my (American) niece's has her birthday today. I must remember to remind her to have it changed.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Either change the date OR like I mentioned above...if a proclimation must be issued each year at the very least have it reflect the other significance of the day.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
To whom it may concern:

National Grandparents Day in 2016 is scheduled for Sunday, 11th September 2016.

Set your calendars. See you all back here then(?).
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
To celebrate thousands of small investors took to the streets in the Bangladeshi capital at the Dhaka Stock Exchange.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Happy National Grandparents' Day! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL