The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Custom made hard figures... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
He certainly did a great job of copying your Poyner figure.
So which did you do Wanlu, send lots of pictures or the head?
I've often thought I'd like a clone of my main figure with a few more animations, but I really don't want to ship the head anywhere.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html



"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1301 Posts

Profile of Servante
Never mind about the kidney thing. I was only gonna do it for the tee-shirt. Once that was no longer in the deal, I lost interest. Smile

-Philip
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3039 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Quote:
On 2011-10-03 10:27, Servante wrote:
Never mind about the kidney thing. I was only gonna do it for the tee-shirt. Once that was no longer in the deal, I lost interest. Smile

-Philip


Ha ha Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3039 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Quote:
On 2011-10-03 09:51, blueshawk1 wrote:
He certainly did a great job of copying your Poyner figure.
So which did you do Wanlu, send lots of pictures or the head?
I've often thought I'd like a clone of my main figure with a few more animations, but I really don't want to ship the head anywhere.


I sent lots of pictures and Kem Poyner sent a cast head Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1411 Posts

Profile of manal
Great looking figure.
Congratulations Wanlu!
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3039 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Thanks Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3039 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
He's here Smile

First things first... I am very happy with the figure. Thanks to Tim Cowles and Kem Poyner.

Just a few things I regret to report...he suffered a small paint scratch on his cheek...and oh yes, the hair is brown. I asked for black hair.

Controls are very quiet and smooth except when eyebrows are raised, just a little clicking sound made by the spring on the lever. No big deal! Smile I just need to study the new set of controls...

Let me buy him a new wig...and then he's our Nicolo... Smile

Again...thanks to Tim Cowles and Kem Poyner Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3039 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Give me a year or so to report about the custom Selberg... Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Oh, so he's arrived - cool!
I thought Tim had a new wig coming for the figure.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html



"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3039 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
That's what he said...but NO WORRIES, it's just a small thing. He did tell me a few minutes ago via email that he tried to match the wig. He also gave me $50 to buy a new matching wig... Smile

COOL! Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
The Bay Area of California
2633 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Wanlu, some hair color can be changed my having the color changed by a hair stylist,
The children's magic party and magic class, where

Howie Didit performs the tricks and then teaches the kids "Howie Didit".

Ventriloquist & Children’s Magician. My lips are not moving and there are all kinds of tricks up my sleeves

Creator of the RING-A-Ding Gumball Machine, available through your favorite magic dealer that buys from Murphy’s Magic

The west coast dealer for Jeff Jones's Magic backdrops
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Quote:
On 2011-10-13 08:49, Wanlu wrote:
That's what he said...but NO WORRIES, it's just a small thing. He did tell me a few minutes ago via email that he tried to match the wig. He also gave me $50 to buy a new matching wig... Smile

COOL! Smile

Well that was a decent and cool thing for him to do!
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html



"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, Georgia
184 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Now THAT'S customer service!

Gary
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1301 Posts

Profile of Servante
Re changing the color of an existing wig: I wouldn't try that. You can change the color of a human hair wig because it will absorb the color...but most wigs these days are plastic of one kind or another and have no pores or inner core and will only take the color as a layer that will not stick permanently.
Wanted to say that before you tried it!

-Philip
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1301 Posts

Profile of Servante
I just went to the Poyner site and popped up the "Bobby" picture and compared it side-by-side with your new figure, Wanlu. It's a good likeness copy...but I think it actually improves on the physiognomy as well...The head seems a bit wider. The upper lip is definitely wider. The ear pitch is slightly different, and the nose is broader. The custom figure looks "wiser." Excellent job! You must be thrilled!

-Philip
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3039 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I am... Smile

I think making an exact copy is very difficult. I have two Bobby figures both made by Kem Poyner and they don't look exactly the same.

I wonder what A Selberg version will look like? Smile

Oh by the way... I plan to get a new black wig for the figure...
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
The Selberg is going to be another Bobby too?
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html



"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3039 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Maybe Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Too late, I think you already gave it away (and that evil smiley doesn't help). Smile
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html



"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1301 Posts

Profile of Servante
I just re-read what I wrote. I did NOT mean to suggest the original Poyner wasn't good. I just noticed that there's a slyness to the copy. Just sayin'.

-Philip
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3039 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I ordered my 2nd custom made hand carved wood figure from Tim Cowles Smile


Another fun project... Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3039 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Selberg update... let's hope and pray it will be ready before my 3 year old son reaches puberty. Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
TheDummyDoctor
View Profile
New user
U S A
66 Posts

Profile of TheDummyDoctor
Quote:
On 2011-09-16 07:39, marshalldoll wrote:
Duane it has been reported that Frank could knock out a figure in just a week. I really find that hard to believe. Bob Isaacson told me that he did in fact complete a figure in just one month. That sounds reasonable to me.
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com


Responding to an old post (I'm just catching up...I've been busy making dummies, and making an actual living on the side...LOL)

In any case, with regard to Marshall being able to complete figures in a week (when properly motivated), all I can say is ===Believe it!===
Definitely.
I know that this is true, from a firsthand account.

Roughly 20 years ago, I had contact with and brokered some items for a retired vent in NY who, in 1951, flew from NY to Chicago on a Sunday, met with Marshall the next morning (Monday) and flew home with her brand new vent figure on Saturday. The figure was a "Nosey" model and was equipped with side to side and crossing eyes, raising eyebrows, closing eyelids, upper lip sneer, and standard drop-jaw.
The price was $750 (factoring in the inflation rate that's the equivalent of roughly $6000 in today's money!)

Now, it should be remembered that the _vast_ majority of Marshall's figures were in fact duplicarved heads. That, coupled with the fact that even custom carved wood heads do not require the drying and cure times of various composite heads and the simple fact that someone of Marshall's experience could even bang out a custom carving in a few days (as well as the fact that Marshall used a pretty high proportion of accelerants to dry his paints)... I find that the one week turnaround is entirely possible, and I don't doubt it for a moment.
Not that I've ever been able to match that timeframe. LOL. But I've come close. We figuremakers just don't like to admit it. And that admission will probably bring some "what the hell...?" e-mails. But, what the hell.

As a defense, let me say this: For the most part, figuremakers (myself included) tend to sell their work at a price that doesn't nearly reflect a real world working wage let alone the sale of a work of original art (if you don't believe me, try building one sometime from something other than a kit).

Also, I feel fairly safe in saying that most of us work on new figures as time allows, during downtime from other occupational pursuits. At the risk of p---ing some people off, I will admit that when a reasonable fulltime wage has been agreed upon (for example, the deal I had 12 years ago with the producers of the feature film "DUMMY" to build a custom figure (while at the same time I was also busy as per my contract spending a few hours a day giving Adrien Brody his vent lessons), it is really _entirely possible_ to finish up a new custom figure in a few weeks. It's a matter of economics for the artist.

To that end, I mentioned Marshall's being able to do it when 'motivated'. That selling price (especially for 1951, when he was routinely selling figures for $100-200) was a ***ed good motivation, and to be fair, was honestly and mutually arrived at taking the customer's required turnaround time into due consideration.

So yes...the one week Marshall legend is not mere legend. At least this particular instance I was privy to, I can verify that it is historical fact.
-------
Alan Semok, Ph.D (honoris causa)
THE DUMMY DOCTOR
Building Pro Vent Figures since 1966
web: www.AlanSemok.com/dummies
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3039 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Quote:
On 2012-02-22 22:11, TheDummyDoctor wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-16 07:39, marshalldoll wrote:
Duane it has been reported that Frank could knock out a figure in just a week. I really find that hard to believe. Bob Isaacson told me that he did in fact complete a figure in just one month. That sounds reasonable to me.
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com


Responding to an old post (I'm just catching up...I've been busy making dummies, and making an actual living on the side...LOL)

In any case, with regard to Marshall being able to complete figures in a week (when properly motivated), all I can say is ===Believe it!===
Definitely.
I know that this is true, from a firsthand account.

Roughly 20 years ago, I had contact with and brokered some items for a retired vent in NY who, in 1951, flew from NY to Chicago on a Sunday, met with Marshall the next morning (Monday) and flew home with her brand new vent figure on Saturday. The figure was a "Nosey" model and was equipped with side to side and crossing eyes, raising eyebrows, closing eyelids, upper lip sneer, and standard drop-jaw.
The price was $750 (factoring in the inflation rate that's the equivalent of roughly $6000 in today's money!)

Now, it should be remembered that the _vast_ majority of Marshall's figures were in fact duplicarved heads. That, coupled with the fact that even custom carved wood heads do not require the drying and cure times of various composite heads and the simple fact that someone of Marshall's experience could even bang out a custom carving in a few days (as well as the fact that Marshall used a pretty high proportion of accelerants to dry his paints)... I find that the one week turnaround is entirely possible, and I don't doubt it for a moment.
Not that I've ever been able to match that timeframe. LOL. But I've come close. We figuremakers just don't like to admit it. And that admission will probably bring some "what the hell...?" e-mails. But, what the hell.

As a defense, let me say this: For the most part, figuremakers (myself included) tend to sell their work at a price that doesn't nearly reflect a real world working wage let alone the sale of a work of original art (if you don't believe me, try building one sometime from something other than a kit).

Also, I feel fairly safe in saying that most of us work on new figures as time allows, during downtime from other occupational pursuits. At the risk of p---ing some people off, I will admit that when a reasonable fulltime wage has been agreed upon (for example, the deal I had 12 years ago with the producers of the feature film "DUMMY" to build a custom figure (while at the same time I was also busy as per my contract spending a few hours a day giving Adrien Brody his vent lessons), it is really _entirely possible_ to finish up a new custom figure in a few weeks. It's a matter of economics for the artist.

To that end, I mentioned Marshall's being able to do it when 'motivated'. That selling price (especially for 1951, when he was routinely selling figures for $100-200) was a ***ed good motivation, and to be fair, was honestly and mutually arrived at taking the customer's required turnaround time into due consideration.

So yes...the one week Marshall legend is not mere legend. At least this particular instance I was privy to, I can verify that it is historical fact.


Thanks for sharing Doc... I love reading Marshall stories Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1024 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I love reading Semok stories.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Thank you for the story, 750. in 51 was a lot of money. So who was the retired vent?
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html



"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1301 Posts

Profile of Servante
That was a really good read!

-Philip
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1411 Posts

Profile of manal
Marshall was a professional builder. It was what he did and all he did for a living. He had years of experience and a shop set up with all the tools , materials , etc. that
he needed so I believe it is entirely possible he could build a figure in a week. Also back then Basswood was readily available in any lumberyard at a reasonable price.
As for pricing, if I could get actuall real world wages as Mr. Semok mentioned in his post above , I could quit my "real" job. Smile
Thanks for your post Mr. Semok, I really enjoyed it.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Thank you, Alan. Very interesting. You're always welcome to tell us more!
robholland
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of robholland
Does anyone know how long it takes for Selberg Studios to complete a figure?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Custom made hard figures... (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.407456 seconds, requiring 112 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [4] [8] [5] [2] [4] [2] [9]