The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Ring flight (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

greml1n
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of greml1n
How far back does ring flight go? I don't know if this is true but I have read in a re-print of an old Conjure book a similar type of effect preformed in the 1910's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Effects with a borrowed ring go back much further than that. I believe Robert-Houdin reproduced a vanished ring tied to the handkerchief flown upward by the butterflies in his Orange Tree illusion.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
greml1n
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of greml1n
Hmmm I knew about the hankie but didn't know about the ring part, interesting!!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The "Ring Flight" that we have come to know and love was probably originated by Al Koran.

It was based upon a ring that travelled from one pocket to another.

Al never preformed it. However, he performed it on many occasions.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
greml1n
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of greml1n
Quote:
On 2011-09-14 17:48, Bill Palmer wrote:
The "Ring Flight" that we have come to know and love was probably originated by Al Koran.

It was based upon a ring that travelled from one pocket to another.

Al never preformed it. However, he performed it on many occasions.

I assume by this you mean it was a myth at the time that grew from great presentation and showmanship?

Would it be possible for some form of it to come from the orient? I have heard of them using the coins they have to travel from a spectators string purse to theirs.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
No, I'm referring to the difference between "preform," which you used in your original post, which means "to construct something ahead of time" and "perform," which means "to do something."

Words have meaning. When you misspell a word, you may change its meaning.

Mark Twain said: "The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning." This is as true in 2011 as it was in 1888 when he wrote it.

When you are doing research, the phrase "I have heard..." means nothing unless you have a reference for it. So does "I read somewhere...." Give specific references.

I don't mean to be sarcastic, but you need to be precise with your research.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
greml1n
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of greml1n
I see what you mean....didn’t catch that. Pardon the ignorance lol
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-09-14 05:55, greml1n wrote:
How far back does ring flight go? I don't know if this is true but I have read in a re-print of an old Conjure book a similar type of effect preformed in the 1910's.

There's something close in Karl Germain's work. The self contained device - not sure.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
greml1n
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of greml1n
Ill give it a look!
thanks
magojose|
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of magojose|
According to Bruce Cervon, the original routine belongs to Pinetti who invent it in the late 1700.
This information could be review on his book Ultra Cervon under the title "Silent Ring"
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
...on the history of Ring Flite, was Al Koran's original done with a reel, or no? Have the "non-reel" versions been as popular as those with a reel?
Thanks!
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I believe Al Koran's original used a reel, from what I remember in Professional Presentations. Your second question is tough to answer. Some type of research to tally the sales of the reel and non reel Ring Flites might be needed.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Al Koran's version did indeed use a reel - and he no doubt popularised the effect into its current form. In some instances the key case may have neen replaced by gimmicked key chains, keys, etc. but many versions still rely upon a reel-like mechanism.

The earliest form of the 'flying ring' effect could be the borrowed ring from one hand onto the selected finger of the other described by Joseph Pinetti - in Physical Amusements and Diverting Experiments, 1784 (p. 57).
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Here is my presentation of Ring Flite:

How
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
103 Posts

Profile of How
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2016, Pop Haydn wrote:
Here is my presentation of Ring Flite:

That was an excellent performance. I like how you incorporated a watch steal as well! I do enjoy the Ring Flight Revolution now. It's a solid ring
Flight!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Cited book: http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/rbc/rbc000......5025.pdf

First item chapter XXX and not a bad approach to vanishing items.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Chad Gill
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Chad Gill
I love the new design from Chris Smith!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Ring flight (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL