The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » The "best" self-working trick (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
Richhead, please excuse my forgetfulness. Marlo's Miracle Routine also has bottom deals and such. The only moves I could think of, however, were the two Faros. This is probably because I usually omit the Bridge and Rummy hands, as few people for which I perform know the concepts of these games.
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
I think Overkill and JC Super Closer are the best self working tricks
~joeKing
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I know that it is simple, but I do like Gemini Twins.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
I have to agree with Parson, Gemni Twins is "The Best" self working card trick.
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
Abiloko
View Profile
New user
Barcelona (Spain)
55 Posts

Profile of Abiloko
My favorite "self-working" trick is John Bannon's Timely departure
(from his beatiful book Smoke & Mirrors).
Best is yet to come ¡¡¡
Alejandro Peterson
View Profile
Elite user
México
408 Posts

Profile of Alejandro Peterson
Ultimate Fate by Gustaferro is in my opinion the strongest self working effect, in fact one of the strongest effects with a regular deck of cards
uncleswede
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of uncleswede
MacGyver wrote:

-- I also really love to do this one I have changed a bunch to suit my own style
-- and handling, but it is basically a self working trick where first you find
-- their card by using math, then you find their card by using a little bit of
-- mentalism, then you change the back of their card. Entirely self working.

Hi MacGyver!

I wonder if you're referring to the "Maths-Mind-Magic" routine that I posted on Magic Dan's site (http://members.aol.com/MagicDan/docs/trick_index.html) which I originally found in a 'Magic' article by Jim Sisti? If so, I'd be interested in how you've modified it for your use. By all means PM me on this.

For my own part, I still love the trick - great layman impact - but I tend not to use it for strolling (it's too long), just for 'parlour' magic. Also, I've found that when I've shown magicians, the bit where you clearly and fairly mix the cards just before the 'mind-reading' revelation, really throws them! Great stuff.
Rgds,
Uncleswede
Amir
View Profile
Loyal user
New York.
296 Posts

Profile of Amir
Emotional Reaction by Dai Vernon.
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
272 Posts

Profile of elmago
Poker Players Picnic from Royal Road to Card Magic. Once you set it up, you don't touch the cards.

On a funny note, I had a friend begged me to show him how the trick was done. I didn't, but he managed to reversed engineered the trick in a dream. He says he woke up screaming with joy.

Miguel Rangel
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Bob Solari's "premonition" is a nice self working card trick. A jaw dropper ending.
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Probably Untouched by Daryl...
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
The Eye of Stonehence - Lennart Green is killer
great stuff......
I always get great reaction for this
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
felixsun
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of felixsun
Another vote for "potent Presage", by jack carpenter
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
- Overkill P Harris
- Untouched Daryl
- Gemini Twins 5have a look at Hank Lee version Quintuplicate coincidence, which makes it even stronger)
- The Power of Poker J Bannon
... are my favorites self working tricks !

:bikes: Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile
graemesd
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of graemesd
Another shout out for Gemini Twins.
Look at Ackerman and Aronson and Gastufaro for some other version.
What a stonker - there was a marketed version called The Kick which used a blank deck and just 4 face cards - Harry Baron
I have a non self working version that which is just superb - even if I do say so my self - lol
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
I agree with the special-deck take on Gemini Twins, variously called Quintiplicate coincidence/Stolen Cards/Rainbow deck.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Many of the SW tricks I perform are listed here. However I am starting to become partial to Dead Reckoning (in Dear Mr Fantasy by John Bannon). Here is a brief description:

"Dead Reckoning" is one of the sections worth the price of the book. The routines in this section artfully blend multiple principles one on top of the other yet somehow -- and having spent hours reading this section, I still can't say for sure how exactly some of them work -- the routines are all as straightforward as you could get. "Dead Reckoning", the first trick in this section, explains all the principles and the workings in a simple but completely impossible card location. In effect, the spectator picks a card from a cut-off packet, shuffles the packet, put the deck back together, the deck is cut, and the card's value mentally spelled out by the spectator as the performer deals. Naturally, on the last letter the spectator spells silently, the performer stops dealing, and that last card is the selected card.

(from http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/0510mrfantasy.html). Now, this is not a "key card" trick (see http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/ftopic6361.php for a more in-depth description of the trick). The most brilliant part of the trick, for me, is that the trick resets itself and you are ready to do it again as soon as you finish.

One note, I have been playing with different methods of "counting" as I have run across some issues with people not spelling correctly and, obviously, not knowing that they are not spelling correctly. Ideas include them writing the card and crossing off letters each time you deal a card (less chance for random mistakes but a little icky), asking for the card and spelling it out (lose some of the effect but no chance of misspelling), and so forth.

Props also need to go out for Dunninger's Delight by Kenton Knepper. VERY SIMPLE yet, properly performed, a real mindblower!

Personally, it all depends on what one means by self-working. Is a single double-undercut or cull mean it is not self-working? What about a cross-cut force? Degrees of Freedom, also from Dear Mr Fantasy, might need to be included in some way as well. I think somebody mentioned Galaxy by Paul Harris (self-working and no prep needed when a new deck is taken straight out of the box), then there is Shuffling Lesson, a great trick also available in the AOA series.

Against All Odds, from Darwin Ortiz (Cardshark, I believe, but I may be wrong) is another self-working trick that can be done immediately upon opening a deck (instead of an envelope, have the spectator choose any card they want, the rest should be easy to follow).

These are just a few that come to my mind. Good luck everybody!

Carlos
Cognite tute
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Quote:
On 2003-09-30 15:21, Frank Starsini wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-09-08 08:39, Leon of PrimRose wrote:
My favorite self-working trick is where the spestators handles the cards at all times during the trick. I don't remember the name of it but the magician picks the card. I've gotten great results from it and they'll never figure it out, EVER.

This doesn't sound like magic to me.
It sounds like a puzzle to be solved or a trick or something that might get the compliment... "that's clever".

Sounds like this might be UNTOUCHED by Daryl.
Which is a very strong very easy hands off effect.

Gislain
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Gislain
I realy like the rising card.
You don t even touch the deck and it does it all by itself
sullivanl
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of sullivanl
Impossible. Larry Jennings.

Sal Piacente's packet trick.

And there is a real gem in Derek Dingle's Complete Works... I'll let you find it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » The "best" self-working trick (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL