The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard frolics » » Upside-down card spring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gabz
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Gabz
Help,
just seen dan and dave perform an upside down card spring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbNkoqnvihw
(fast forward to 2:04),
where can I learn it it looks so awesome!!!
Gabz
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Gabz
Anyone, please?
juggling1
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of juggling1
I love when people give away the secretes of our craft for free on public television. There is nothing more I love than to work my ass off learning to fool people so that others who are desperate for money or their 15 min of fame can give it away. I understand some non-magicians know moves such as the bottom deal anyways but as magicians its not our job to reinforce it in the worlds mind. The sooner they forget about such things the better off we are. As far as I am concerned these guys are nothing more than a couple bad capitalist willing to degrade our craft for reasons unknown to me. I think this type of behavior should be shunned by this community it is The MAGIC Café not the people who are really good with their hands Café. just a thought.
fingerjack
View Profile
Elite user
CT, USA
496 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 13:54, Gabz wrote:
Anyone, please?

THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PLAYING CARD FLOURISHES by Jerry Cestkowski http://www.flourishman.com/
Gabz
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Gabz
Thanks a lot fingerjack and as for juggling 1 that is 1 heck of a thought
but in my opinion slighlty harsh sorry if you disagree just my two cents
EldonFowler
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of EldonFowler
I think it goes without saying....just spring the cards with regular grip; but upside down....Some trial and error and you should get it.
casibb3
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of casibb3
Juggling 1 has hit it right over the fence. The "wannabes" with their exposures on You Tube do a disservice to those of us who spend much time and money perfecting
the moves of our craft. The You Tube give-aways My thoughts have always been: Where are the IBM and the SAM ? Do they not seek out who is doing the exposures and if they are members of either group, hold them accountable to the ethics code they agreed to when joining? Granted, our "secrets" are not so sacrosanct that anyone with a clear head can't figure it all out eventually. But that is the premise. Our job is to keep them guessing, all the while entertaining them. A performance well presented is our best defense against the thievery, which is what it truly is. Agree or disagree?

casibb3
goatears
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of goatears
I loved their gambling demonstration on time warp, it was great! For me the upside down card spring is learned best by feel. After you can do the spring downwards, try turning it upside down and starting slow with little space between your hands. The catch is done upside down with both hands. The springing hand follows the last card up to the catching hand. At first you'll probably want to catch the deck with both hands but after a little bit you'll be able to do it further and further and eventually make the catch with just the receiving hand.
morimacil
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of morimacil
"There is nothing more I love than to work my ass off learning to fool people so that others who are desperate for money or their 15 min of fame can give it away."
Imo, there isn't any problem with ppl revealing tricks on youtube and such, and explaining techniques.
It makes magic accessible. It allows ppl to learn magic, which is good. Ppl with an interest should be able to learn it.
The problem isn't that tricks and sleights tutorials are widespread, the problem is that ppl like you are working their ass off to fool others.
You shouldnt work to fool spectators, and then get angry at the fact that with a tiny bit of thought or research, its possible to figure out how any trick was done.
You should instead work your ass off learning to ENTERTAIN spectators. that's the important part, entertaining ppl, not fooling them. And if you can entertain them, no one can ever take that away from you, so your work doubly pays off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC5BwubD9gc
Look at that.
Do you know how its done? Of course. The secret to drawing rabits from a hat is really old, is not at all well guarded, and easy to find out.
Does it matter? Not one bit. Walking around with an empty tophat and suddenly pulling a rabbit out of it is still just as awesome, whether or not the spectator can figure out that you must have placed it in the hat at some point to then pull it out.
Magicians exist to entertain, not to fool ppl. Fooling ppl is just a way to help you entertain them, not the end goal.

Oh, and of course.... telling someone who asks kindly how to do a flourish such as an upside down spring, is not going to prevent anyone from fooling anyone. Its a flourish. Its not a secret move, its a fancy move. It doesn't fool, it entertains by looking cool.
There is simply no way that someone else knowing how to spring cards would destroy any of the work you put into it. In fact, if they know how it works, they will realize how much practise perfect flourishes take, and value your performance even more.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Anatole
The Dan and Dave Upside Down Card Spring has been removed from youtube but is available at the Daily Motion website here:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa77l5_......creation
It's interesting to see some of the flourishes and sleights done in slow-motion.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
lovecardmagic
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of lovecardmagic
Hey I Agree with goatears. I have been trying to get this for ages and I can get it right about half the time. Like any move it's about trial and error.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard frolics » » Upside-down card spring (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.081114 seconds, requiring 32 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [1] [9] [6] [8] [9] [3] [7] [9]