The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » My sister has cancer (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2382 Posts

Profile of critter
Sounds like a tough girl.
"Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage."
-Theodore Roosevelt

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Professor-Valeyard-and-Co-Magic-and-Juggling/258460854331694
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Best wishes to you and your family, keep strong!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3051 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I'm going for another visit from the 28th to the 3rd. Don't know what to expect. Please continue to pray or whatever it is y'all do.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3271 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Will do.

-Mary Mowder
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3051 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I'm here now. She looks a LOT better than she did in October. She's about a third of her way through the chemo. My hopes are up. Smile
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2325 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Great to hear!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3271 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Good News.

-Mary
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3538 Posts

Profile of Turk
That's very good news, Jeff. See, the trip was worthwhile on many levels.

Here's hoping that the new year will bring more permanent good news for you and Sydni.

Best,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3051 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
It occurred to me that an update is a bit overdue.

First, Syndi is surviving. Her life consists of chemo and drugs every four hours and lengthy hospital visits. But she's alive, and I'm grateful for the extra time with her.

Second, both my other sister and my wife--due to Syndi's illness--went for gynecological check-ups and found out they need operations. My wife's was yesterday; my sister's is the end of February. In both cases the doctors have said the growths are "pre-cancerous"; nevertheless, I won't breathe any easier until the biopsies come up negative.

My brothers and sisters: go get a check-up! Prostates and ovaries may not be the regular topic of discussion here at the Café, but y'all need to be safe. Go get it checked out.

Did you catch that? One sister has cancer, so my other sister and my wife went to get check-ups, and BOTH had pre-cancerous growths.

Take care of yourselves. Leave the magic for your performances.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1155 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Jeff, I just latched onto this thread. Glad to hear things are moving alongas well as can be expected. My sister-in-law was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in October, 2010. It had gone to her brain. They treated the brain first, eliminated the tumor and then went to work on the lungs. She's had the radiation, the chemo and thankfully, she is still with us, with good appetite and outlook. The treatments today are much better than years ago.

Still, knowing a loved one is affected by this insidious disease is pure hell. I'm sorry I didn't see this thread sooner, but I do believe in the power of prayer. You and your sister will be one of the topics of conversation in my discussion with the Big Guy tonight.

As for me, I've had pre cancerous polyps since I was 40 and so I get that checked every three to five years. My last one was the first time I was polyp free. Get checked....all of you! This is the most preventable cancer out there. Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
ibraa
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
51 Posts

Profile of ibraa
Best wishes!
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1475 Posts

Profile of Piers
Quote:
On 2012-02-17 12:33, stoneunhinged wrote:
It occurred to me that an update is a bit overdue.

First, Syndi is surviving. Her life consists of chemo and drugs every four hours and lengthy hospital visits. But she's alive, and I'm grateful for the extra time with her.

Second, both my other sister and my wife--due to Syndi's illness--went for gynecological check-ups and found out they need operations. My wife's was yesterday; my sister's is the end of February. In both cases the doctors have said the growths are "pre-cancerous"; nevertheless, I won't breathe any easier until the biopsies come up negative.

My brothers and sisters: go get a check-up! Prostates and ovaries may not be the regular topic of discussion here at the Café, but y'all need to be safe. Go get it checked out.

Did you catch that? One sister has cancer, so my other sister and my wife went to get check-ups, and BOTH had pre-cancerous growths.

Take care of yourselves. Leave the magic for your performances.

BEST wishes to you ALL.

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3051 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
My wife's biopsy came up negative.

My sister's OP went well. Her husband says it's not cancer, but she's too doped up to know how he knows. My guess is that the doctors told him it didn't look like cancer.

So it looks like the poor fortune of my sister has led to the better fortune of my other sister and my wife.

Syndi has four more chemo-sessions. I'm not sure what that means. What comes afterwards? Piers? Scott? Anyone?

The toughest thing (for me) about my sister's illness is that I live a continent away. Back in the day I would have visited her every second week. But now, a visit costs $1K+, and I'm not a wealthy man.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2012-02-25 12:33, stoneunhinged wrote:

The toughest thing (for me) about my sister's illness is that I live a continent away. Back in the day I would have visited her every second week. But now, a visit costs $1K+, and I'm not a wealthy man.

( In Soup Natzi Voice )

" NO EXCUSES FOR YOU! " Video Skype is Free! Smile
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3051 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Smile

And video Skype we do.

But there is a time lag, and it's not quite the same as being there. It comforts me to kiss Syndi's bald head. I don't know if it comforts her. But it comforts me.

At the end of the day, the most important thing is to remember to say the things--in person, or through emails, or through Internet forums--that you might later wish you had said.

It's a HUGE task.

Too big for me. Smile
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2012-02-27 12:52, stoneunhinged wrote:
:)

And video Skype we do.

But there is a time lag, and it's not quite the same as being there. It comforts me to kiss Syndi's bald head. I don't know if it comforts her. But it comforts me.

At the end of the day, the most important thing is to remember to say the things--in person, or through emails, or through Internet forums--that you might later wish you had said.

It's a HUGE task.

Too big for me. Smile

Time lag? I skype with Europe all the time and never have a problem. Maybe a connection speed issue on one end?

You are right its not the same as being there but certainly IS better than just emails. If she had lost her battle then you'd pay or do anything for just " one more skype " with her so why not savour them now rather than focusing on the fact that you aren't there in person.

And to answer your question....... YES it comforts her as well....as do the skypes. Keep it up.

P.S. It's not too big for you. Smile

Best,

Tim
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3051 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Since it has been close to a year since Syndi's diagnosis, I thought it high time to give an update.

First, she spent about nine months in chemo. Her doctor kept watching the blood marker, and kept pouring it on, so to speak. At the end of it, she actually has a blood count that says she's cancer free. Great news, of course. That meant that after a short time of re-generation she could get the surgeries she needed. She had a severe hernia and a diseased gall-bladder. They did that work, and now she's currently in her 18th visit to the hospital.

So the long and the short of it is: the chemo kept her alive and has given her a second chance to live a while longer. I hope it's a few years. But even if she died tomorrow, I'll still be forever grateful to the one doctor who decided to try chemo when the other doctors had written her off.

Onto other news: my artist partner Hans (our website is here: http://www.cowboysongs.de ) was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer about two months ago. Y'all can imagine that I have been pretty upset about that, too. But as it is now, I have learned a little bit about dealing with cancer: you make the time earned through chemo count. I hope that Hans, too, will be around for a few more years. But if he isn't, I'm making sure that I can say I was as helpful and supportive as possible.

Cancer sucks. Smile

But people survive. Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2632 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou for the update, Jeff.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3051 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
The story is way too long to tell, but the woman I have always considered my second mother (she is my mentor's wife) just told me yesterday in an email that she also has cancer.

I'm feeling very strange, like cancer is following me around attacking the people I love.

:(
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3271 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Stone, I know the feeling. Ever since I was a child Cancer has stalked my family.

I'm very glad to hear the good news about Syndi!

You have a good attitude about this. My Mother had several years of remission before her death and I cherished the time (She was never pronounced cancer free).

Best Wishes to You, Syndi, Hans and Spirit Mother.

-Mary Mowder
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3051 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I have hesitated to post updates, because I don't really want attention. But here goes:

Two months ago my other sister was diagnosed with lung cancer. She's doing really well, and it was something called a "carcinoid tumor", which I (I ain't no doctor) understand to mean a very slow-growing tumor that isn't life-threatening. They cut it out (actually, they cut out the upper lobe of her right lung), and everything should be well.

Meanwhile, Syndi (the sister with ovarian cancer) has enjoyed a year of remission which is now over. More chemo to come.

I joke that every little physical problem I have is probably cancer. But the truth behind the joke is that I am worried. I'm trying to eat better and live better, but I am worried.

We three kids experienced a childhood indescribable to the rest of the world: California, Taiwan, Hawaii...a multi-cultural mash-up. But what we all have had, together, is a sort of "nest". That nest is something I have always counted upon. But it's not going to be there forever. That makes me pause.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3271 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Thank you for the update Stone,

With the advances in treatment that seem to be on the horizon buying time is a good strategy.

I'm glad to hear you are taking good care of yourself. Genes are only part of the story and who among us really knows which genes we got or the role epigenetic factors will play.

Here's hoping for you and yours.

-Mary Mowder
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3051 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I wanted to post something positive for my Café friends.

My sister, Syndi, is still alive, and became a grandmother two days ago.

She's not going to survive her cancer. That much is clear. But I started this thread four years ago, and she survived long enough to become a grandmother.

Death happens, but life happens too.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3271 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'm so sorry to hear that your Sister is not doing well but very happy to hear that she has survived long enough to become a Grandmother.

This will be a comfort to her (and her extended family in years to come).

As you say. "Life happens too".

-Mary Mowder
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3051 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Syndi is still alive! It has been five years. But last week she chose to stop chemo and go with only palliative care, so it won't be long now.

Meanwhile, my father--who is 80--was just told that the results of a PET scan show that he has cancer in multiple parts of his body. A clearer diagnosis awaits.

I have a mother, father, and two sisters. Three of them have had cancer, and two of them are unlikely to survive 2017. It's gonna be rough.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I have been following this for years, and have not commented. But you have my deepest sympathy. A good friend battled cancer three times. It got him in the end, but we had fifteen years longer with him than we expected. My father battled cancer and survived - but it came back and took him in the end, more than a decade later. But there was a silver lining; he had dementia, and it took him before the dementia did.

It has cheered me up your yearly or so updates telling us your sister is still with you. Hope you all stay strong and make the most of whatever time you have left. And hopefully your other loved ones will have the fighting spirit and luck of Syndi. It will be a tough year, but hopefully there will be bright spots in it.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3051 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Tony, I thank you for your post.

My father's diagnosis gave us hope. He has something called "Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma", which is treatable. He's 80, so "treatable" depends upon a lot of things about his health that have nothing to do with cancer. Still, there is hope. He started chemo today.

The silver lining you spoke of also means something to me. My mother-in-law (83) has suffered from Parkinson's for several years, and has dementia. It is--to say the least--hard to watch.

We love our old ones, don't we? We ought to. The young ones (I have four kids) are sometimes the same as the old ones (I have four parents and parents-in-law): they need attention and are silly and irrational. But they keep us thinking about what we deem to be important.

Thanks again, Tony.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
3387 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I too have neglected to post anything until now but as a 2x cancer "survivor", I can tell you this. The most important weapon against cancer is your support system (friends and family). I really don't know how I pulled thru at times but I do know that without the support of my friends and family, I probably wouldn't have tried. In fact, I wanted to refuse chemo during my second bout but my wife asked me to at least try. I did and I am glad I did (looking back). Hang in there and just keep being there. Also, remember my sig - "Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live". That hit me like a ton of bricks when I heard it and has really changed the way I look at my life now. Peace Smile
www.shadowpest.wordpress.com <~~my cancer story

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1155 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Jeff, I'm just seeing the continuation of this thread for the first time in several years. I'm happy to hear Syndi has survived this long, yet saddened that she will be ending her chemo. That's got to be a tough choice for her and a sad one for you. Also glad to hear your father is being treated and has a good prognosis. Keep the faith, prayers your way Jeff, to you and your family.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
2921 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Hang in there, Tony. I hope you get good quality time with your loved ones this year.

I lost both of my parents to cancer. This is a true story:

I flew from Los Angeles to Texas because my father was dying. I arrived in Texas and my sister picked me up at the airport. We were driving to the hospital. All of a sudden, I saw my father right in front of me. He reached out from a doorway. Behind him were several human like figures that looked like fluorescent lights. His body was also a fluorescent light, but as he reached out, his upper body looked real. he reached out and grabbed my arm. I could feel it like he was there. He also spoke to me, saying just one simple thing. He said "Everything is ok." The image disappeared. I just knew he had just died. I asked my sister what time it was. When I got to the hospital, my brother approached my sister and me in the hallway to tell us our father had already died. I already knew. He died at the exact same time he appeared to me.

What this did for me, was give me confirmation that we don't really die, we just move on to a different "life". Call it heaven or whatever you want.

I have a five year old daughter. Just the other evening I was having a great moment with her, just holding her close and smelling her hair. At the time, I was thinking about how after I die, I am going to be able to relive those magical moments with my kids.

Enjoy the simple moments in life for when you die, you just might get to enjoy them again.

kj
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » My sister has cancer (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL