The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » My sister has cancer (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3051 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I have hesitated to post updates, because I don't really want attention. But here goes:

Two months ago my other sister was diagnosed with lung cancer. She's doing really well, and it was something called a "carcinoid tumor", which I (I ain't no doctor) understand to mean a very slow-growing tumor that isn't life-threatening. They cut it out (actually, they cut out the upper lobe of her right lung), and everything should be well.

Meanwhile, Syndi (the sister with ovarian cancer) has enjoyed a year of remission which is now over. More chemo to come.

I joke that every little physical problem I have is probably cancer. But the truth behind the joke is that I am worried. I'm trying to eat better and live better, but I am worried.

We three kids experienced a childhood indescribable to the rest of the world: California, Taiwan, Hawaii...a multi-cultural mash-up. But what we all have had, together, is a sort of "nest". That nest is something I have always counted upon. But it's not going to be there forever. That makes me pause.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3361 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Thank you for the update Stone,

With the advances in treatment that seem to be on the horizon buying time is a good strategy.

I'm glad to hear you are taking good care of yourself. Genes are only part of the story and who among us really knows which genes we got or the role epigenetic factors will play.

Here's hoping for you and yours.

-Mary Mowder
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3051 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I wanted to post something positive for my Café friends.

My sister, Syndi, is still alive, and became a grandmother two days ago.

She's not going to survive her cancer. That much is clear. But I started this thread four years ago, and she survived long enough to become a grandmother.

Death happens, but life happens too.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3361 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'm so sorry to hear that your Sister is not doing well but very happy to hear that she has survived long enough to become a Grandmother.

This will be a comfort to her (and her extended family in years to come).

As you say. "Life happens too".

-Mary Mowder
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3051 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Syndi is still alive! It has been five years. But last week she chose to stop chemo and go with only palliative care, so it won't be long now.

Meanwhile, my father--who is 80--was just told that the results of a PET scan show that he has cancer in multiple parts of his body. A clearer diagnosis awaits.

I have a mother, father, and two sisters. Three of them have had cancer, and two of them are unlikely to survive 2017. It's gonna be rough.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I have been following this for years, and have not commented. But you have my deepest sympathy. A good friend battled cancer three times. It got him in the end, but we had fifteen years longer with him than we expected. My father battled cancer and survived - but it came back and took him in the end, more than a decade later. But there was a silver lining; he had dementia, and it took him before the dementia did.

It has cheered me up your yearly or so updates telling us your sister is still with you. Hope you all stay strong and make the most of whatever time you have left. And hopefully your other loved ones will have the fighting spirit and luck of Syndi. It will be a tough year, but hopefully there will be bright spots in it.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3051 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Tony, I thank you for your post.

My father's diagnosis gave us hope. He has something called "Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma", which is treatable. He's 80, so "treatable" depends upon a lot of things about his health that have nothing to do with cancer. Still, there is hope. He started chemo today.

The silver lining you spoke of also means something to me. My mother-in-law (83) has suffered from Parkinson's for several years, and has dementia. It is--to say the least--hard to watch.

We love our old ones, don't we? We ought to. The young ones (I have four kids) are sometimes the same as the old ones (I have four parents and parents-in-law): they need attention and are silly and irrational. But they keep us thinking about what we deem to be important.

Thanks again, Tony.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
3582 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I too have neglected to post anything until now but as a 2x cancer "survivor", I can tell you this. The most important weapon against cancer is your support system (friends and family). I really don't know how I pulled thru at times but I do know that without the support of my friends and family, I probably wouldn't have tried. In fact, I wanted to refuse chemo during my second bout but my wife asked me to at least try. I did and I am glad I did (looking back). Hang in there and just keep being there. Also, remember my sig - "Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live". That hit me like a ton of bricks when I heard it and has really changed the way I look at my life now. Peace Smile
www.shadowpest.wordpress.com <~~my cancer story

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1160 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Jeff, I'm just seeing the continuation of this thread for the first time in several years. I'm happy to hear Syndi has survived this long, yet saddened that she will be ending her chemo. That's got to be a tough choice for her and a sad one for you. Also glad to hear your father is being treated and has a good prognosis. Keep the faith, prayers your way Jeff, to you and your family.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3156 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Hang in there, Tony. I hope you get good quality time with your loved ones this year.

I lost both of my parents to cancer. This is a true story:

I flew from Los Angeles to Texas because my father was dying. I arrived in Texas and my sister picked me up at the airport. We were driving to the hospital. All of a sudden, I saw my father right in front of me. He reached out from a doorway. Behind him were several human like figures that looked like fluorescent lights. His body was also a fluorescent light, but as he reached out, his upper body looked real. he reached out and grabbed my arm. I could feel it like he was there. He also spoke to me, saying just one simple thing. He said "Everything is ok." The image disappeared. I just knew he had just died. I asked my sister what time it was. When I got to the hospital, my brother approached my sister and me in the hallway to tell us our father had already died. I already knew. He died at the exact same time he appeared to me.

What this did for me, was give me confirmation that we don't really die, we just move on to a different "life". Call it heaven or whatever you want.

I have a five year old daughter. Just the other evening I was having a great moment with her, just holding her close and smelling her hair. At the time, I was thinking about how after I die, I am going to be able to relive those magical moments with my kids.

Enjoy the simple moments in life for when you die, you just might get to enjoy them again.

kj
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3051 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Syndi passed away this morning.

I appreciate all the thoughts expressed in this thread.

It's over now.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
12875 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Smile I'm very sorry!!!
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2378 Posts

Profile of Tom G
So sorry to hear that.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3361 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'm so sorry you've lost your Sister.

My heart goes out to you and your Family.

-Mary
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1160 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
So sorry Jeff. Nothing I say will ease your pain, just know my thoughts and prayers are with you.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1061 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Love and condolences to you and your family, Jeff.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1476 Posts

Profile of Piers
May she rest in peace.

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
My deepest sympathy Jeff. So sorry to have seen this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » My sister has cancer (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL