The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Matrix Routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
52Cards
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of 52Cards
What are the best matrix or coin assembly routines, or interesting ideas and twists? Are there any really good routines I can find on the internet? Also, what are the best finales? Thanks in advance!
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2568 Posts

Profile of RS1963
If you haven't learned and studied Al Schnider's original Matrix there is none better to start with. There are quite a few very good variations out there. But learn Al's first find the video of him performing it on You Tube or better yet get his DVD set from L&L there you well get not just Al's Matrix but many other very good effects as well.

Certainly look at the other versions out there but please don't neglect the original.

Bob Kohler has some very good versions of Matrix. Richard Kaufman's book Coin Magic has several versions also. Paul Gertner has a very good backfire Matrix effect.

Shadow coins is a very good effect but it's not Matrix. Ask Al Schnider why it isn't and he will explain it better than most can.
Learn Michael Skinner's Impromptu Cup and Balls Routine.
http://www.skinnercups.com/
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
587 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Start at the beginning...with Al Schneider's - the original Matrix.
learn it and work from there towards others.
So far Al's Matrix is the only Matrix I perform atm.
I'm studying a few other...there's lots of work for me.
Al's is way to easy, and there are allot better Matrix's.
Hayashi's for instance it's a real blowout, a sick backfire, several approaches, better than most for sure.
It's always best to start from the beginning. Learn the basic's and then improve upon it...
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Here's one from my lecture.
http://magicians.podbean.com/odd-coin-assembly-tri-corner/
I have an entire DVD on wierd variations
"Matrix Reloaded"
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-10-01 14:39, 52Cards wrote:
What are the best matrix or coin assembly routines, or interesting ideas and twists? Are there any really good routines I can find on the internet? Also, what are the best finales? Thanks in advance!

You can still find Al Schneider's routine in print and he says he's got a new version due out soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4SKE8prxGU
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2049 Posts

Profile of Devious
My finale is a jumbo coin production from underneath the fan of four cards, that I casually set down, as the audience is busy inspecting the four half-dollars.
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18264 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dean Dill offers some great versions on his DVDs.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2025 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
The original-Al Schneider.
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1372 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Al Schneider's are great, but I second Pete's suggestion of Dean Dill's variations: they're fantastic.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Love this topic!

John B. Born: “Matrix God's Way,” is all about Matrix handlings.

http://www.magician-newyorkcity.com/prod......rix.html

David Neighbors (The Matrix Unloaded) and Richard Kaufman have some interesting variations.

Dean Dill has alternate versions on the interesting “Extreme Dean” DVD set.

You may also want to look up Tom Gagnon book called “Sleightly Original.”

This thread goes into all manner of Matrix goodness, along with a spirited debate about what exactly constitutes a Matrix effect relative to Shadow Coins, Chink a chink, etc.:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2020 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Also, Dan Fleshman in notes and DVD has some versions that are good.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2568 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Matrix God's way was mentioned but if you look up Michael Close's review of that DVD in Magic Magazine came out you will read a not so glowing review of it. I tend to agree.
Learn Michael Skinner's Impromptu Cup and Balls Routine.
http://www.skinnercups.com/
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1176 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Armando has the most amazing evolution of Matrix. Hayashi is also very very good
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4336 Posts

Profile of rannie
Here is one of my ideas for a final phase of a matrix routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grmpq8UHZZg

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
3900 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Did Someone say Matrix! Smile I have around 70-75 handleings or so! Stop me when you see one you like! Smile

But really Most of my stuff is not in print yet! But if you want to E-Mail me I will put together a list Of what is in print, and where it is for you! E-Mail is coinjurer@comcast.net OK thanks gang!
magicbart
View Profile
New user
Chambly, Québec, Canada
60 Posts

Profile of magicbart
Quote:
On 2011-10-03 22:30, rannie wrote:
Here is one of my ideas for a final phase of a matrix routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grmpq8UHZZg

Rannie

Wow... very nice Rannie.

Love it. Rene Lavand will have love it to Smile. Its one of the rare one hand routine Ive seen.

Thanks
What your brain can imagine, you can create it. Dont wait, just do it.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1176 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Sorry Rannie, I should have mentioned you as well because yours is probably one of the best Matrix style plots out there. I absolutely love this phase because it can be done as a quickie on it's own or as you say as a fantastic ending to a longer routine.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4336 Posts

Profile of rannie
No worries buddy. I never expected anyone to remember it anyway! I just thought of sharing it to tose who may have missed it... I still love matrix effects though it is not something you can really perform in many situations. What I love about it is the process and the thinking. Just my humble opinion.

Take care my friend!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
Rannie that was GREAT!!

I am a little bit surprised that nobody has mentioned Mike Gallo's matrix.. It's similar to the original version but the handling is much more easy. And of course it ends with a great backfire effect..
I also like Michael Ammar's version using that ingenious gimmick Smile
Searching for the magic side of life...
magicbart
View Profile
New user
Chambly, Québec, Canada
60 Posts

Profile of magicbart
Theres also the Micheal Ammar version with the use of the T***T and the version Ponta in his DVD "Sick!".

Both is very different in presentation and impact with audience.

See ya
What your brain can imagine, you can create it. Dont wait, just do it.
charliewerner
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of charliewerner
Shoot ogawa work on matrix are one of the best... Everything you want to know about matrix is in his dvd.
"Seeing Joy, Sadness, Anger,Contempt,Surprise, Disgust,Fear on people faces are the motivation of my MAGIC" Charlie Werner (C.C.L)
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
4978 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I tend to favor "chink a chink" over matrix (the former uses no cards and the latter does if we can agree that Al Schneider's original effect means that cards and coins = matrix. Actually, Al Schneider's approach is called "Matrix" but the original idea can be traced to an effect called "The Sympathetic Coins" by Yank Hoe. This can be found in Bobo. It is NOT a Matrix in the style of Schneider and in fact one could really make a case that Matrix is at BEST a distant cousin and what's more, the Schneider approach is far superior).

As stated, the Al Schneider original IS really a great place to start and his book published earlier this year goes into great depth concerning the effect.

I am also quite fond of Shawn Farquhar's MatriXpress.

Ed Marlo has a very cool matrix effect in Apocalypse using dice and cards in Apocalypse. The dice are placed in the requisite corners; the numbers show 1-4 clockwise. Each die "arrives" by number.

In Richard Kaufman's book Coinmagic, Marlo has a whole chapter on Matrix.

In Doug Conn's book Tricks of My Trade (written by Paul Cummins), there is an effect called Cornered Coins. While not a Matrix, Cummins writes that the effect "is best employed just prior to a Matrix or Coins Through Table routine."

Even though the OP didn't ask, I thought I would offer just a few examples of chink a chink type of effects:

Horowitz Chink a Chink in Stars of Magic
Dean Dill's Swirl Assembly and Backfire in Apocalypse
David Roth's Chink a Chink in Apocalypse
Frank Thompson has a very cool version in Pallbearer's Review that uses bottle caps. I am working out a routine of my own based on this and Alex Lourido's "CAPtivated."

Obviously there are tons of other Matrix/Chink a Chink effects in the literature. The ones I mentioned immediately came to mind.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
3008 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Rannie, Very sweet. I can see it as part of a longer routine with coins and cards. Your style is so smooth and natural. I would like to be you when I grow up someday. ; )
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1034 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
When I went to Dean Dill to learn, he stated me out with Al Schneider's matrix. He told me it's the best coin routine ever, but the only problem is it's too short. Start with the classic routine and learn it well. Then....

Dean's "Extremre Dean" DVD set has an awesome collection of very strong matrix routines, and is extremely well taught. His DVD has an overhead view option that is a really helpful learning tool. he teaches each necessary sleights in separate lessons. If you are a serious student of coin magic, you will find this DVD to be a treasue.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
sleeping with the fishes...
9517 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
RANNIE NA I WERE PROBOABLY THE FIRST ONES TO DO THE MATRIX WITH ONE HAND
I use my crimping technique to pull this off
http://youtu.be/7o9K53TjMaA
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
2808 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Vinny, in 1981 I think Tom Gagnon published a book called
Sleightly Original, which extensively explored the use of one hand for matrix and other card and coin routines. I explored the reverse matrix concept, and my three best are on the NYCMS dvd series. Ultra Reverse Matrix is a no pick up move routine, extremely clean, no false moves, and was going to be in the new stars of magic series by Tannens until they pulled it at the last minute because it is gaffless. I don't think there is a cleaner routine anywhere, but you watch it and be the judge. I think it is also on either the coinvention dvd, or the lvmi dvd set.
SPECIAL!! Get ALL 16 volumes (17 discs) of the New York Coin Magic seminar DVD series for ONLY $250! Go to www.newyorkcoinmagic.net to get this very special offer!!!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
9517 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Doc I didn'I know this thank you for the heads up.. I am using my crimping techniques to do this no gaffs or extra coins what you see is what you get;
do you have a demo I would love to see Tom's Work or your concept I don't have the dvds
vinny
ps when I firt did this some years back it was just aexperment to show what can be done using the crimp palm ( thumb crotch)
Come check out my magic.

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5544 Posts

Profile of motown
Paul Gertner, Mike Powers and Robert Bengal are a few that have excellent Matrix routines.

Gertner's is in his book. Bengel put out a smaller booklet. Mike had a stand alone effect that he use to sell with all the needed coins. I believe it's in one of his books as well. Used international coins.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
2808 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Vinny, I am not home now but will look up the publisher for you this weekend. I don't think Tom posted a video. My routines are not one handed, I'm sorry if it read that way. I would love to post a clip, but no time until after the Milan symposium. Tom's moves are using diffferent techniques than you. I don't recall all the moves, but I do recall that he came up with some nice turnovers and displays. It's a great read, and a bit underground. Hope you get a chance to see it.
SPECIAL!! Get ALL 16 volumes (17 discs) of the New York Coin Magic seminar DVD series for ONLY $250! Go to www.newyorkcoinmagic.net to get this very special offer!!!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
9517 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Thanks Doc much appreciated
vinny
Come check out my magic.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Matrix Routines (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.286511 seconds, requiring 112 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [6] [5] [6] [9] [8] [1] [6] [1]