The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Packet tricks that leave you clean (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
I realize of course that my post is unnecessary because there is consensus that we will not turn down effects just because the methodology leaves us in a potentially compromising position. Annemann would be proud! Yet I sense in a number of discussions I have had with other magicians here and elsewhere that sometimes we engage in thinking like magicians to the point of over-thinking.

That reminds me of something I've been thinking about lately. It's probably been discussed before, but: Is there such a thing as a "magician's trick" -- as opposed to an "audience trick"? Are some effects made needlessly complex in an attempt to make other magicians think "How did he do that?" when a simpler effect would be sufficient to amaze an audience of non-magicians? How much effort are magicians in general (and those who design new effects in particular) putting into blowing the minds of other magicians...and is that unnecessary effort, since at least 90 percent of the time, no magicians are watching us?

I think there are probably even some effects that will amaze a fellow magician, but have considerably less impact on a non-magician, because the non-magician doesn't understand *why* the trick is so amazing; there are subtleties he misses because he doesn't know all of the usual techniques magicians use...so he's not stunned when a trick doesn't employ those methods. Smile

Just something I've been thinking about. Maybe it's worth starting a new thread about it, rather than derailing this one. I'm not sure where such a thread should go, though!

In the mean time, I'd love to see more effects that leave the magician clean. Not that those are the only ones I'm interested in! Smile
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
"Food For Thought" would be a good place for the above post.
Magic is a vanishing art.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
If a trick is said to "end clean", then all the props can be examined by your audience (note I said can and not should). I believe that most magicians would agree on this as a definition for the term. However, some tricks end clean because you perform a clean up before you hand the props out. Technically, you still end clean, but this might involve some palming/ditching. Not quite the same a being clean from the very beginning of the trick, especially if several people are burning holes through your hands!

It is also important to differentiate tricks that end clean and reset easily (in front of an audience). The most practical effects do both of these things. It is also important to realise that some very strong effects don't end clean and can't be reset easily, but are still worth performing if the situation is right.

Marty

P.S. Back to the OP's question, I think Chameleon Cards by Daryl is one of the very best packet tricks you can perform (and you end clean).
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Great thread! Yes, I love to end clean when possible. Sometimes you can get there, or close, by giving extra thought to your routine.

An example would be Ultimate Monte. I love the effect, but the gaffs leave you exposed. My solution to this has been to "salt" the gaff cards into a regular deck, then place the three ungaffed duplicates on the face of the deck and put all back in the box.

Taking the deck from the box, I "randomly" select three cards and put the rest of the deck back in the box. At the end of the effect, I place the three monte cards just behind the duplicates and start to put the box of cards away. "Here's something else you should know about this scam", I say as I take the box back up and remove the three cards on the face of the deck. "The odds are against you no matter what" and proceed with a short explanation using the ungaffed dups. I even do a couple of quick "regular" hypes to illustrate how you can't win and it makes for a very nice routine with all three cards clean and exposed at the end.

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
607 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
Eye Exam's finish leaves the cards examinable...

Eye Exam
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Danny, that's very good. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Dang! Smile
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2011-10-17 10:47, danielrhall wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-16 18:08, edh wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-16 12:38, JSeligstein wrote:
Wow, qooc is remarkably similar to royal scam.

No...Royal Scam is remarkably similar to QOOC. Smile
And both are remarkably similar to Magic Ronnay's Sympathetic Cards. Smile

And 'Ronnay's Sympathetic Cards' (when released by Emerson & West) was an EXACT COPY (and I really mean COPY as in MOVE FOR MOVE) of Joe Riding's trick - 'End of the Rainbow' that Joe released in 1978.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
ghageman
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of ghageman
Queens out of control is definately a good one!

One of the best packet tricks of all time has to be Twisting the aces as well as Paul Harris' reset trick!
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
See James Swain's Finale For The Capitulating Queens in his book Miracles With Cards, pp. 182-186.

Also see the original Capitulating Queens in Don't Blink~The Magic of James Swain, pp. 49-52.

And see Unloading a Card in the Weapons chapter in Swain's 21st Century Card Magic, pp.83-84...

From the introduction to the move:

"The world of card magic is filled with packet tricks which employ either extra cards or gimmicked cards. The problem with doing these tricks for laymen is that you do not end clean. You can gambler's cop the extra cards out at the trick's conclusion, but I've worked in too many situations where laymen are standing behind me, and this clean-up is not feasible.

The following method of cleaning up was developed for a particular packet trick which I perform all the time - The Capitulating Cards. [snip] The move works great for other routines and will fly right past the most observant spectator."

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
292 Posts

Profile of terrillific
For my tastes the ones I like that leave you clean. In no particular order.
Duplicity by John Bannon
Dr. Daley’s Last Trick
Color Monte
Oil and Water
DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
788 Posts

Profile of DaveM
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 22:00, Danny Archer wrote:

Eye Exam

What an incredible effect, I MUST purchase it.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
QOOC & Color Monte also get my vote..
Try Bannon's Bullet Party .. great...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
topchange52
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of topchange52
Alex Elmsley's 4 card trick ends clean as does Daryl's Odd Quad.
Regards Steve.............
jmvives
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of jmvives
Follow the Leader Challenge, by Aldo Colombini is one of my favourites.
"Make your magic meaningful" Max Maven
Lundonia
View Profile
Veteran user
refuses to read more than
321 Posts

Profile of Lundonia
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 22:00, Danny Archer wrote:

Eye Exam

That's exactly like the effect "Charge it!". Nice ending with the pill though Smile
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity - and i'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein
www.jensmagi.se
geoff1973
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of geoff1973
I like packet tricks mainly. Just joined tmc.

My favourites are those by Paul Hallas, Aldo Colombini, Paul Gordon and Nick Trost. The ones I'm using at the moment are Paul Hallas Hsre Raising Hats and Paul Gordons Spectrum Strikes Back. Also like his Killer OMG. Oh yes, Alex Elmsleyz Four Card Trick.

G
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Here is a packet trick by Vernon sorry I don't know the name of the effect so I am calling it Vernon Revisited
only 8 cards used http://youtu.be/XP5Bh4WF2M8
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
jm4345
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of jm4345
Colour Monte done with '2' jokers and the ace of spades from a normal deck
mindexplorer
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of mindexplorer
Quote:

(Actually, all I did was highlight "John Bannon's Royal Scam" in viler's post, then right-click on it and click "Search Google for 'John Bannon's Royal Scam.'" Smile This may only be a feature in the Firefox browser; I don't know.)

On a side note: Doesn't the stand-in spectator in Bannon's demo look kinda like Pam from The Office?

I also use Firefox but my default search when I right-click is something called babylon search. How did you get yours to be Google.

P.S. Yes. She does look like Pam.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Packet tricks that leave you clean (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL