The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Speak Easy Dan Harlan (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2011-11-02 08:41, Xiqual wrote:
Paolo!
Long time my friend. Have you come out of isolation long enough for an email chat?
Good to see you,
James

Yes I am. At my gmail address. Smile

Quote:
On 2011-11-02 08:52, JanForster wrote:
Paolo, nice to see you back here! But please let me state that Richard is a very nice, friendly and approachable guy when you meet him in person. Jan

Jan, absolutely! I know he can be more than gracious and genereous with his time.

And let me state once again I think Osterlind has created a ton of wonderful stuff.

It's just that I simply did not like the way he treated critics and customers HERE on the Cafè. Period.

And, also, I did not like Harlan to be put down compared to Osterlind.

I did not bring Richard in the fight, someone else did... CarlZen.

And using one name to leverage on another name, especially when talking about a product you don't have and know nothing about, it's - in my opinion - a nonsense.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
Harlan was a major consultant on at least 2 major television broadcast on mentalism. The mentalist consulted Harlan for expertise on the subject of mentalism. Harlan does mentalism extremely well just as he does rubber bands extremely well and a bunch of other things well. This is an area that you have no clue about I mean no disrespect but I am speaking from personal experience when I say that Harlan has some of the best original ideas about mentalism that I have ever seen.

BTW this is a very weird argument that should not exist. Im sorry that Harlan released a code act I had no Idea he wasn't allowed to do that.
P3
practice practice perform.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2011-11-02 08:17, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-02 01:09, CarlZen wrote:
Dan Harlan is no mentalist period.Anytime I hear his name I think rubber bands.

So no one can change? We had a guy in Sweden who was almost as good at tennis as Björn Borg, but that guy changed direction and became one of the best singer, songwriter and musician we have ever had.

Gary Kurtz comes to mind.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2011-11-02 09:18, ted french wrote:
Harlan was a major consultant on at least 2 major television broadcast on mentalism. The mentalist consulted Harlan for expertise on the subject of mentalism. Harlan does mentalism extremely well just as he does rubber bands extremely well and a bunch of other things well. This is an area that you have no clue about I mean no disrespect but I am speaking from personal experience when I say that Harlan has some of the best original ideas about mentalism that I have ever seen.

BTW this is a very weird argument that should not exist. Im sorry that Harlan released a code act I had no Idea he wasn't allowed to do that.

CarlZen -

By the way, if you have access to the special VIP entries, you can check here for one of the BEST RENDITIONS of a rubber band trick that Dan Harlan has ever made -

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
Quote:
On 2011-11-02 09:19, Steven Conner wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-02 08:17, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-02 01:09, CarlZen wrote:
Dan Harlan is no mentalist period.Anytime I hear his name I think rubber bands.

So no one can change? We had a guy in Sweden who was almost as good at tennis as Björn Borg, but that guy changed direction and became one of the best singer, songwriter and musician we have ever had.

Gary Kurtz comes to mind.

And Gaetan Bloom. Granted he's no official mentalist but he had some clever ideas for mentalism and came up with gimmicks like no one else before him.
runeflax
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of runeflax
Quote:
On 2011-11-02 01:40, CarlZen wrote:
Look being this will be my final post Here on the subject.

Quote:
On 2011-11-02 02:15, CarlZen wrote:
Let me give you a final example.

:-D Good one.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2011-11-02 08:58, JanForster wrote:
Parmenion, nice to see you back again here... ! Aren't we lucky that we've been born right on time? How is YOUR ventriloquism act evolving? Smile My one is ready, but I started last week Wednesday already... Jan

My act looks great in front of my mirror!
I don't use a puppet, I use my own body as puppet
About you act, I know last week I ate with Steve Martin when Tom Cruise called me about you act.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, Tom liked it a lot, Steve didn't see it until now. But when he saw your body it's hard for me to follow as my puppet can't compete. Man, you beat me again! Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
CarlZen--
If you return to read this thread (and I know you will), please direct your comments and questions to me. I will be more than happy to address your concerns and answer your inquiries without divulging the exact workings of SpeakEasy. You seem only vaguely aware of my accomplishments since you mention just a sliver of the work I released 16-20 years ago. Your opinion is dated and uninformed. I'm not in the habit of telling others what to do, but I will make a small suggestion... if you wish to grow as an artist and develop a deeper understanding of your craft, take some time to learn from successful people outside of your normal circle of influence.

On a much lighter note: THE DVDs ARE HERE! Yes, they've arrived after a slight production delay which put us a couple of days behind. However, I have already shipped out all of my existing orders. Thanks again for your patience and please return here to post your thoughts once you've had a chance to learn SpeakEasy.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Mr.Harlan:

such a class answer!! you are a true gent:
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
Dan you are a gentleman and was an excellent post no harm was intended.Just lately many have got burnt here on many products so I am skeptical on everything.I have seen much hype here and none has lived up to it.Maybe your product is excellent I do not do code work so it would not be of interest to me.Anyway not worth arguing need a long vacation from here maybe a permanent one.I wish you all success on your product make tons of money.God bless you all farewell.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2011-11-02 20:25, CarlZen wrote .Anyway not worth arguing need a long vacation from here maybe a permanent one.I wish you all success on your product make tons of money.God bless you all farewell.

Good riddence!
Sammy J. Teague
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Why good riddence? CarlZen is right. Much of what is pitched at the Café (and mentalism over the decades) is the same old stuff repackaged. Over the years I have bought one trick five times...each time repackaged but the same trick.

I also recently bought a book on playing card reading that is a knock-off of the old Hedgewytchery method...I guess because the site went down the author figured it was fair game. It was much better in the original form on the old site. This work, too, was praised. I thought it quite convoluted and made a simple task complicated...I'll stick with the Vascal System. The owners of the original site are planning their own book on their method. I think they would be quite surprised they have been knocked-off.

Now there is some clown selling a method where he claims there is no impression and many are raving over it...it may not use an impression pad but there is an impression...additionally this effect I first learned in an old book of hobbies for boys in the 1960's (using a pencil).

Carl points out this stuff and people jump on him...he is right to be skeptical. Some of you remind me of Chip in the old movie Animal House, "Thank you sir may I have another?". It is like you are insatiable to be spanked with the newest knock-off and are then on to the next thing before the printer ink is dry from the last e-book.

I too am a bit reserved (but hopeful and optimistic) about this code. I got notice mine was shipped today. I do have a small amount of experience in code acts...the old Liz and Tommy Tucker code (which I found to be very hard) and Cipher Speak are two that come to mind. I really am hoping this has something new to say.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
"it's the !@#$%^!ed mustard man!!!!!!"

For those who saw the extra shots of animal house
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2011-11-02 20:30, Sammy J. wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-02 20:25, CarlZen wrote Anyway not worth arguing need a long vacation from here maybe a permanent one.I wish you all success on your product make tons of money.God bless you all farewell.

Good riddence!

Carl found my response offensive, and I appologized to him privately. I just think that you can not judge a product unless you own it. Speculation doesn't hack it in my opinion.

Dan is a well respected man in this magical world, and I don't think he would ever put his name on something that wasn't from the heart and real.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Quote: Maybe your product is excellent I do not do code work so it would not be of interest to me

Why all the posts bashing Dan then?

If someone has a beef about over hyped effects ( probably a very justified concern) then why choose this way to voice it.
Start another post rather than bashing someone with what appears to be uninformed opinions.

Just my humble 2 penn'orth
Steve
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
We as performers sometimes forget how difficult it is for our partner or spouse to accompany us while we perform. My wife has seen me perform hundreds of times both for formal and informal performances. She sits through my performances regardless of how many times she has seen me do the exact same effect. If I was her I would be bored out of my mind and gotten rid of this guy 35 years ago just after we got married.

Anyway, we have been practicing Speakeasy for the past couple of weeks and last night I decided it was time to put it into action. We attended a fund raiser as guests and as is often the case I was asked to perform for some friends who we met at the function. After unloading some of my favorite mind blowing magic and mentalism pieces I decided it was time to bring out the big guns. I told the audience that after being married for so many years my wife has acquired some unique abilities. At first my wife was reluctant to demonstrate these abilities but after a bit of coaxing by myself and our friends she agreed. We started with her devining what finger people were holding up, then how many fingers and ended with her revealing the serial number on a bill that was held behind her back.

To make a long story short the reactions were far greater than I would have guessed. The audience enjoyed this immensely. I never realized how strong and deceptive this kind of effect could play. It was the perfect compliment to some other hard hitting effects I performed but most important it gave my wife a chance to be the star for a change.We talked about this effect during our trip home and I must admit I haven't seen my wife get so excited by my magic since before we were married.

What makes this so good is it's simplicity. I could never get my wife to learn a complicated code but this she picked up easily. Now that she has seen how great this plays she would like to go further with it. That's why I think this system can serve as a foundation for a much more elaborate program. I see a lot of potential with this effect and plan on using it informally whenever my wife is with me. I think we're both going to have lots of fun with this. Priceless!

Steve
Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
Quote:
On 2011-11-03 02:38, steveline wrote:
Quote: Maybe your product is excellent I do not do code work so it would not be of interest to me

Why all the posts bashing Dan then?

If someone has a beef about over hyped effects ( probably a very justified concern) then why choose this way to voice it.

Start another post rather than bashing someone with what appears to be uninformed opinions.

Just my humble 2 penn'orth
Steve

And in this case Carl Zen was wrong. Impossible as it seems, this is a practical code created by Dan Harlan "the rubber band" magician Smile
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Great, great story, Steve!! Thanks for sharing your experience! Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Yes, Steve, thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm sure that many here, like me, can relate. Jen still laughs at my jokes in my routines even though she's see them countless times (although we haven't been together nearly as long as you and your wife) and it always makes me feel better when she's around to support me.

To change the subject slightly for a moment, I've decided to do something about all of the over-hyped magic that may have "stung" you in the past. Check this out: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=76&0

--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Speak Easy Dan Harlan (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL