The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Book of Destiny by Larry Barnowsky (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
WOW that's all I can say Larry. WOW for how fast I got the book (6 days only). WOW for how well written it is. WOW for all the nice photographs. WOW for how much joy I will have going trought this tomb. WOW WOW WOW
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
... and yes you need WOW for "Snatched From the Middle" page 145
WOW by Masuda that is
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
I completely agree with Peo. WOW! There is such a variety of great magic in this book it’s hard to know where to begin. I intend on posting a more detailed review once I’ve thoroughly read and digested this large book. The quality of the production of this book is the first thing you notice. Beautiful colored dust jacket, gold engraved cover, high quality glossy paper, and colored end sheets. Each chapter describes the effect, skills needed, any props needed, and any setup, explanation and script, and then a discussion at the end.

Here are some thoughts about a few chapters I’ve read:

Perusing the table of contents you’ll see a number of intriguing titles. The first one that caught my eye was actually the last trick in the book, a place where authors usually place their filler material. Not so here. The trick is called Buried Treasure of Triangle Island. It uses a flat triangle shaped prop that you can make out of cardboard. The spectator places a random mark on the triangle and measures with a ruler how far from the “shore” the treasure is. Based on that number of centimeters, the spectator counts cards from a shuffled deck and the card counted to turns out to be a special treasure card and it’s the only one in the deck. Then suddenly as the spectator is holding triangle island in his hand, something magical happens which is the second climax to the trick. The treasure appears in his hand. The effect is nearly self-working thanks to a math principle that’s never been used in magic as far as I know.

Theatrical Debut is an amazing card routine. It is also performed and taught on the DVD. I watched it first and then read the chapter. Larry has taken a little known trick from Aldo Colombini and made it into a mesmerizing routine. This one is done in verse but could easily be paraphrased in narrative patter.

A Curious Type of Arithmetic is also performed and taught on the DVD. The details of the routine are taught extremely well in the book with sharp photos. I also like that Larry puts annotations and arrows on the photos to be more precise. This is a routine I intend to perform. It’s a balls in that hat routine with two separate climaxes. I can imagine this being a great effect to perform on the street busking or for a kid’s show.

The Cups and Balls routine is so smooth. The photos are extremely helpful in learning this. This one is also performed and taught on the DVD but the details in the book go into the moves step by step and those extra written descriptions and fine touches are something a video can’t always provide.

The first trick in the book is Look to the Cards. You start with a unopened deck (no gaff) and mix the cards up so many ways that there should be no way to control them. Two cards are freely selected. Each time you mix, a card is turned over which tells you how many piles to make etc. This is done a few times. At the end the reds and blacks are separated except for the two selected cards which lie within the opposite colored cards.

The Enchanted Rings chapter is a fantastic linking ring routine. I have many books on the rings (including Richard Ross and Vernon), but this chapter goes into more detail on how to do the rings than any book I’ve seen. This is also on the DVD as performance and explanation. The routine flows well and their are some original moves that Larry developed.

One thing I really like about this book (and Kingdom of the Red) is in the discussion section after the effect is explained, he offers simpler methods to accomplish the trick for those who may not feel comfortable with a pass or a faro for example.

Overall, I am very impressed with The Book of Destiny. There is such a variety of high quality material that I think any magician would find many routines suitable for them.

BJ
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
BJ, that was a great short review to which I agree wholehearted.
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
Peo, WOW is right. Have had the book for a week. This is a preliminary review of some chapters I have studied. Beautifully crafted book with stunning dustjacket art. The photos are reproduced on the glossy paper better than any book I've seen. Amazing original routines. The card stuff is so different from the usual variations of the same old stuff. Intuitive Concentration is like the game concentration played with cards and you win each time. Best there are no marked cards, you can use borrowed cards. ESP Duel is an OOTW with the spectator shuffling. It's very clever easy to do, and would fool magicians. I do mentalism and Triple Psychometry is going into my show. A number of cards are secretly placed in three envelopes with colored labels and while blindfolded you reveal the number of cards in each envelope and which of three spectators holds which colored envelope. There is no peeking. It uses no sleights. Fantastic section on the linking rings. Many original ideas and moves plus Larry's take on the traditional ones. Beautufully performed on the DVD. Another trick which is going into my act as A Curious Type of Arithmetic. I don't usually use other people's patter but this one is so well written that I will recite it as is. In the apparatus section there is an unusual magic production box called the Treasury Vault. Complex engineered box that is used to produce a shower of coins or other loads. Another apparatus section effect that I will use is Aunt Tilly's Will. This is difficult to describe in a few words. There is an easel with 25 tiles that have different numbers of cats and dogs on them. A spectator acts as the heir to the will in this play and must solve Aunt Tilly's riddle or her cats and dogs inherit the fortune. A wonderful effect using a forcing matrix that is entertaining and bewildering. Larry supplies free downloads on his website for the artwork and other material to make up the trick. I was a big fan of his previous book Kingdom of the Red, but this book surpasses that in its variety of quality usable material. Very happy with my purchase.

David
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I would not be surprised if this book will be among the top of best book award 2011 if not THE best one. It's that good.
Well done Larry.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Thanks to Peo, David, and BJ for their postings.

One of my customers, Daniel Ulin, posted the following on the Genii Forum. He is not a member of the Café because he uses a hotmail email account (which the Magic Café does not allow) .

"The all-new "Book of Destiny" is a truly outstanding piece of work.

I've only begun digging into the material, and it's just fantastic stuff. In addition, the book is beautifully produced --- and perhaps this gentleman's best book yet (and the previous two were total knockouts!).

Highly recommended."

From The Genii Forum:
http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbt......st254715
Amazing Samdini
View Profile
New user
Playa Vista CA
66 Posts

Profile of Amazing Samdini
Larry, is this the new book you mentioned that has some faro tricks in it?
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Yes.

There are seven effects which use the Faro Shuffle. However, for those who have not mastered the Faro or prefer not to use it, each of these effects can be performed by other means in place of the Faro. Just go to the "Discussion" section at the end of each chapter where I talk about easier methods to accomplish the same trick. In fact, I do that in almost every chapter so there are alternative easier methods for those who like less sleight-intensive magic or are still on the learning curve. The same is done in the chapters on coins, balls, etc. Most Faro effects require setups. But with "The Power to Decide" in Ch. 17, you do one Faro after the spectator has shuffled the deck and then literally predict the future.

Larry Smile
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Hi Mr Barnowsky received your book today haven't had time to read thur it yet but at first glance WOW and double WOW. I love it no cost spared printing this one love the quality paper and binding. Photos are so sharp and clear can't wait to dig in.

Best
Leo Reynolds Jr
Amazing Samdini
View Profile
New user
Playa Vista CA
66 Posts

Profile of Amazing Samdini
Thanks, Larry. Sounds great! I'm afflicted with faro-mania.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Thanks for the order Sam. It went out Saturday AM.

By the way for anyone interested, my local paper did an article about me and my third book on magic. The hard copy had a color photo of me on the front page but the web version did not. The Magic Café in mentioned in the article. Here's the link:

http://coopercrier.com/localnews/x471032......released

Larry Smile
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Just got this email from a customer not a member of the Café. He said I could post it on the Café.

Hi Larry,

Many thanks for your terrific book and dvd which arrived in Perth last week.

I am slowly working through and very much enjoying several of your wide variety
of original creative effects.

Your book is a pleasure to read- clear explanations with numerous illustrative
photos, and I enjoy watching you perform.

Best Wishes,
Jon- Perth, Australia
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
This a continuation of my review of The Book of Destiny:

The Book of Destiny is also the name of a stand up card routine which could I would describe as a Ambitious Card and Poker Demo tour de force. This is performed and explained in detail on the DVD. The performance is narrated by a song in the background of the same name which Larry wrote. The sheet music for the song is actually in the book too. This is not an easy routine since moves are done one after another and synchronized to the music. Although I may not soon perform this, there are some fascinating sequences which could be incorporated into a variety of other effects.

There is a chapter on sponge sleights the title of which Seinfeld fans will recognize. In Sponge-worthy Sleights there is a tutorial (on the DVD too) of all the sleights needed to perform The World’s Greatest One Ball Trick. This is quite impressive on the DVD and I learned to perform the Swivel Concealment very quickly. With that you can perform some beautiful visible transpositions. I’m thinking of using this with different color balls so they appear to change places instantly.

Total Card Control is amazing. I wish I had thought of it. A number is obtained by rolling legitimate dice. Spectator shuffles cards and cuts. Each time the magician cuts he not only beats the card but also matches the suit. This is done four times successfully. As a climax the sum of each pair turns out to be the same number and also matches the total from the dice throw. Best of all the trick is totally nearly self-working.

Penny-wise is a coin routine using a gaff that Larry shows you how to make (He also sells it separately). The storyline will intrigue any audience. Coins jump back and forth and change as the story is told. The moves are taught well and he offers simpler moves for those who don’t usually work with coins. I bought the Penny-wise Kit and it’s fun to perform. The routine could easily be performed surrounded.

The One Hand Glide Change is a great utility move explained in detail in the book with stop action photos and also taught and demonstrated on the DVD. It’s used in two effects. The easier one is Tens the Hard Way which I love.

Anyway, that’s what I’ve been reading and working on and I’m only through a fraction of this large book. So far I am extremely impressed by the quality and variety of practical material.

BJ
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Just ordered......looking forward to a good read Larry
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Thanks BJ for that review.
Enjoy the book and DVD John. Thanks so much for the order.

I am able to ship all orders for books and or props within 24 hours and often the same day. As some of you may know I divide my time between Cooperstown NY and NYC (Manhattan). At both locations I fully stock all items sold on my website including regular and leather editions of the books and all props and supplies. Books will be signed on request.

I'll continue giving a silver dollar size antique Chinese coin with EACH book ordered to Café members. They are ferrous and will attract to a magnet.

The dollar size coins are in the middle row

Larry Smile
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

I am extending a promotion which I had on The Latest and Greatest Forum. With a book purchase, in addition to the antique silver dollar size Chinese coin, I am including FREE a set of five different colored 22mm dice (3/4 inch). If you prefer all in one color I can do that. The colors are white,green, blue, yellow, and red. However I can't guarantee a given color based on my stock. You can specify a preference and a second choice and I'll do my best.
When ordering, the five different colored dice will be sent unless you specify one color.
These dice are great for all types of effects including Spellbound color changes. If you get all the same color you can use them for a Chink-a-Chink effect.

If you want the books signed my me please specify on the Paypal comments section or in a Magic Café PM.

A set of dice and the Chinese coin will be provided with each book ordered (including The Book of Destiny, Kingdom of the Red, or 21st Century Coin Mechanics)

Larry Smile
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Correction:

The dice are 7/8 inch in diameter (not 3/4 inch). The 22mm is correct

Here's a photo of them:

wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
I just did a show for about a dozen friends last night. I closed with Total Card Control and it got one of the best reactions of anything I ever performed. I made up the gaffed deck myself. I casually switched it for the regular deck I was using. It's in Ch. 4 in the book.

David
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Wow!! Wait for my order!!

Alex Hui
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Book of Destiny by Larry Barnowsky (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL