The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Replacement Gaffed Cards - Stand Up Monte (Garrett Thomas) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
799 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Hi Guys,
Does anyone know where I can purchase replacement gaffed cards for Garrett Thomas’s ‘Stand Up Monte’ Routine?
They are double facers: Queen of Hearts / 4 of Spades – Bicycle cards.

My originals that came with the DVD are starting to become a little worn and have started to ‘stick’ a little when performing the 2 card Monte move and do not 'glide' as easily.

I have tried making my own by splitting and sticking 2 cards together but I am not 100% comfy with these as there can be a discernable difference in appearance to the originals. They are OK for practice but not for performing.
Any help would be appreciated.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1226 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Buy a wild card set you will get the cards with it, plenty on ebay or' martini can alsonseel you a set
friedpalm
View Profile
New user
Santa Monica Ca
36 Posts

Profile of friedpalm
I gotta agree. Marty made some cards for me that were great and super fast.
I watched Blake's video and now I am making my own doubles. Not as nice as Marty's but for Monte they work great.
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
789 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Kozmo Magic may be able to sell you an additional set. Otherwise, as noted above; you can certainly buy a set of Wild Card. This may not give you the exact suit/value set to which you have become accustomed. I also perform Stand Up Monte on a regular basis and I have dug out an unused set of Wild Card from my drawer that I will shift to when my original set finally gives way. Glad you have found Stand Up Monte so useful, it is an entertaining effect.
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
799 Posts

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies and help - much appreciated. White Oak, you are correct I contacted Garrett Thomas directly who put me onto Kozmo.
I have ordered 2 sets and they are on the way!
I have got the bug on this one - It really is so entertaining! Takes up virtually no pocket space and you are truly ready to go - anytime & anywhere. I love it!
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
799 Posts

Unfortunately, I have to say I am very dissapointed with the customer service from Kozmo Magic ;-(
I ordered 2 x sets of replacement cards for the Stand Up Monte almost a month ago and paid on the spot with PayPal.
Not received the cards or any communication as yet. I have emailed Kozmo twice (on the same email address as used
with Paypal so I know its live) and have not even received the courtesy of a one line reply or acknowledgement.
I have no cards and Kozmo has my money!
Anyone have any ideas as to how I can resolve this?
Thanks
TGR
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
1951 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Kozmo tours the Café occasionally, I'm sure he'll see this.
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
799 Posts

Hey Guys,
Just heard back from Kozmo...
Indeed his home town of Owego is completely flooded out!
See on the Youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDAtxjTsS7w

$20 bucks and some gaffed playing cards are really not that important anymore...
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2134 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Unless there are special properties to the cards for the Stand Up Monte (I do not have it - yet), you can just order a whole deck of d***le f**e cards with a court card (or a queen) on one side. I am sure the opposite side would not matter. Most major dealers carry them and I am pretty sure World Magic Shop in the UK would have them. The decks usually run €5.5-€6 (£4.5-£5 or $7-$8/USD).
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
799 Posts

Hi Dr J
Yes the opposite side of the card does matter - a lot.
You require double facers of the queen and the 4 of Spades ( or equivalent)
pete52
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of pete52
Hi TheGreatRaymondo

I know I'm coming into this thread a few months late but did you manage to sort your replacement cards?
I have 2 sets of replacement cards for this trick and they are brand new with red back.

Let me know if you are still looking for some
The secret impresses no one.
The trick you use it for is everything.
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
799 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-02-13 06:10, pete52 wrote:
Hi TheGreatRaymondo

I know I'm coming into this thread a few months late but did you manage to sort your replacement cards?
I have 2 sets of replacement cards for this trick and they are brand new with red back.

Let me know if you are still looking for some

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the mail. I got fixed up with 2 sets directly from Kozmo in the USA.
Thanks again.
Dacodakid
View Profile
Regular user
Marina Del Rey, CA
153 Posts

Profile of Dacodakid
Why does it have to be the Queen of hearts and Ace of spades?
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
3635 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I think that TGR was just trying to match the cards that came with the Monte. You could use other values but you would naturally have to replace all the cards in the packet.

Thanks!

Jim
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
799 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-02-20 07:24, J-Mac wrote:
I think that TGR was just trying to match the cards that came with the Monte. You could use other values but you would naturally have to replace all the cards in the packet.

Thanks!

Jim

Correct Jim!
Of course it is possible to use other cards but the 'lady card' Q of H is always a favourite with the ladies. I also feel it is important to have strong contrast between the 2 cards. For instance a red court card and a black card. Preferably the 'other' black card is low in value such as a 2, 3 or 4 as this shows plenty of white background - exactly the opposite to the court card. So when the reveal / exchange is executed during the routine it is much more striking. What was a red Queen is now a black 4! (and vice versa)
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
953 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Why not just buy a deck of */* cards?

Gil Scott
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
532 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Actually, almost all the dealers have replacement card sets in stock now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Replacement Gaffed Cards - Stand Up Monte (Garrett Thomas) (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.106689 seconds, requiring 58 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [3] [7] [5] [0] [6] [1] [8]