The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard frolics » » I'm looking for magical looking flourishes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gulyás Imre Miklós
View Profile
Regular user
Budapest, Hungary
170 Posts

Profile of Gulyás Imre Miklós
Can you help me with this one?
I'm not a flourisher, I'm looking for these because I want to enhance my card tricks.

So far my list is really not that long:

-The Curly Que flourish(as described in PH's Art of Astonishment)
-a well executed LePaul spread
-the recently released Orbit Spread
-Dan and Dave's Carnahan Fan
-Aaron Fisher's One handed pop-out move (is this more a sleight than flourish?)

I find that most other flourishes look more like skillful demonstrations than magical happenings.
Do you have something I could add to my list?
I took the Pledge
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Special user
Anchorage, AK
989 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
You'll want to learn several basic fans, thumb fan, pressure fan, standard one hand fans. Some of these are useful for certain effects as well as just looking pretty. Also the giant fan is great, and fan twirls are also a nice touch to any fanning sequence.

Learn some card shots. Daryl's Hot Shot cut is a great one.

Springing the cards is also a must.

You seem to want flourishes that look very magical, but most flourishes are simply skillfull displays of digital dexterity. Which flourishes appear the most magical is a very subjective thing, and you'll get a lot of conflicting opinions about that, along with the insistance from some that flourishes are the antithesis of magic.

My suggestion is to get both the Encyclopedia of Card Flourishes, and The Art of Card Manipulation. That will give you quite enough to choose from and you can make up your own mind as to which flourishes will work best for whatever reaction you want to elicit from your audience.
Matthew Olsen
www.mattolsenmagic.com
www.nightmagicshow.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Gulyás Imre Miklós
View Profile
Regular user
Budapest, Hungary
170 Posts

I can do the biggest part of the standard stuff.
I can do the hotshot cut, I can do a decent spring.

I don't mind conflicting opinions about this.. but maybe I couldn't get through my point well.

Curly cue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZmnDYdq2yo
in my opinion this looks magical. The deck opens itself into a nice circle. It doesn't seem like you do the work.

Orbit spread
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsMoWeUwh9U&feature=related
again it looks like the deck does it itself. I like doing this face up to display the separated black then red cards in an Unshuffled plot.

Compared to these a spring is really show-off, YOU do the stuff etc. The Carnahan fan opens in under 1 second, and looks more magical than standard fans.

I will check out the Encyclopedia but McBride's DVD doesn't have anything I'm interested in (from this angle).
I took the Pledge
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Special user
Anchorage, AK
989 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Ok, I think I understand better what you're looking for. I think it's going to be challanging to find flourishes that meet that criteria.

One that springs to mind is the one hand circle fan where the fan is formed with no visible movement of the fingers. It looks really good when done slowly.
Matthew Olsen
www.mattolsenmagic.com
www.nightmagicshow.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Gulyás Imre Miklós
View Profile
Regular user
Budapest, Hungary
170 Posts

Shameless bump
I took the Pledge
bobbyhasbun
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of bobbyhasbun
UnderPressure. That one's debatable, but IMO it fits your criteria.
scoopsthehobo
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of scoopsthehobo
The Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes has the flower fan which is called the Rolo Deck on the Art of Card Manipulation, which if you present at a certain angle can give the appearance of a slow motion card spring. Jerry Cestowski demostrates this in his Companion DVD Volume 1.

Also in the Encyclopedia, there is the upright armspread. An armspread which appears to stand upright on its own, on your arm.

Aaron Fisher has an entire DVD dedicated to the one-handed pop over move and its applications.

De'vo's Flipback fan taught in his Cradle to Grave DVD has a magical-esque tint to it. The cards start completely square on the back of your hand and then produces a fan in a very quick fashion. Also in this DVD he teaches the birdy fan which is fanning a deck of cards and balancing the entire fan in tact which you can make appear to be floating and the Heaven display which takes the birdy fan concept a step further.
Gulyás Imre Miklós
View Profile
Regular user
Budapest, Hungary
170 Posts

Thanks everyone

slowmo card spring
that sounds nuts
I took the Pledge
MagicDr
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
111 Posts

Profile of MagicDr
Quote:
On 2011-11-10 21:57, Gulyás Imre Miklós wrote:
Thanks everyone

slowmo card spring
that sounds nuts

I've looked for a version of slow mo card springing and I can't find anything. It sounds nuts and definitely something I want to learn. Any references on it?
Gulyás Imre Miklós
View Profile
Regular user
Budapest, Hungary
170 Posts

Read the second post on top of your old post
I took the Pledge
8a22a
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
150 Posts

Profile of 8a22a
Tutorial video for Orbit Spread purchased. That looks awesome. Smile
stevefaulkner
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of stevefaulkner
There's a few here. Some are juggly but some may be what you are after.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebH-srLAh......AAAAABAA
www.cardmagiccourse.com
IBM UK Close-up champion 2013
Award Winner at The Magic Circle Close-up Magician of the Year 2010
National Street Performing Champion 2009
British Street Performing Champion 2005
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard frolics » » I'm looking for magical looking flourishes (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.094335 seconds, requiring 48 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [3] [1] [4] [1] [9] [7] [2]