The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Richard Osterlind "The Perfected Center Tear" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
Anybody have some reviews on this book?

Thanks
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
I tried it and didn't like it.
I still go with the Lee Earle version from his video.
dAvId tOnG
View Profile
Regular user
sInGaPoRe
103 Posts

Profile of dAvId tOnG
Osterlind's version will also be included in his new Mind Mysteries DVD from L&L Publishing.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2003-09-06 17:47, Nir Dahan wrote:
I tried it and didn't like it.
I still go with the Lee Earle version from his video.

Nir,

What is the name of Lee's CT and what video is it on? BTW, without revealing the method, can you elaborate on why you preferred the Earle CT over the Osterlind CT?

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Quote:
What is the name of Lee's CT and what video is it on?

The name of the video is Lee Earle's Center Tear Teach-In. On the video, the CT is simply called "Lee Earle's Center Tear."
Smile
Ben721
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Ben721
I just came home from a convention, and saw Richard's lecture. His center tear was good to me, and flew right by all of us. But I also didn't know of any cneter tears prior to this one.
Check out my new effect "As Good As It Gets" a gimmickles pencil or pen through bill effect. It closely mimmicks the slow motion phase of "Misled." About "As Good AS It Gets" for no gimmicks and everything being borrowed.
http://www.magic-notes.com/th
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
I'm not sure what Center Tear Mr. Dahan is referring to but he's not talking about Richard Osterlind's Perfected Center Tear, explained in his newest book (which also happens to be the topic of this thread).

The book was just released last week and I recently sent out all of the back orders personally - Mr. Dahan was not one of the purchasers. Thus, I'm not sure how he can intelligently comment on it.

It's possible that he's offering his opinion on Richard's Slow-Motion Surrounded Center Tear. However, Richard has ten years of work on his center tear method since the publication of that book and the new one, "The Perfected Center Tear," is the result. It's now available from dealers or direcly from Richard's website - http://www.osterlindmysteries.com.

Incidentally, the "Lee Earle Center Tear" is simply a fluffed-up version of Al Baker's seminal "rip and read" tear and is better learned from the original source materials - either "Al Baker's Mental Magic" or the new, huge Al Baker book from Todd Karr.

Jim Sisti
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2003-09-07 18:02, Jim Sisti wrote:
(Blank)

Jim,

Regarding your 6:02 p.m. post---Are we supposed to read your mind? Was that post a test to separate the true mentalists from the "wanna-be"s? (grin)

Seriously, is the handling of Richard's new "The Perfected Center Tear" an "ultimate" improved handling of his previously used method described in his "Slow-Motion Surrounded Center Tear", or,is it an entriely different method?

I have not heard or used either. In light of that, and in light of the title of Richard's latest CT ("The PERFECTED Center Tear") and the advertising blurb on Richard's web site, are you suggesting that "The Perfected Center Tear has superceded and replaced the prior method and that the older method is outmoded and not worth studying or practicing?

"The Perfected Center Tear" seems really exciting and I can't wait for some reviews of the same to appear.

Thanks for the info.

Mike

P.S. BTW, on Richard's web site there is mentioned a CT called "The Ultimate Center Tear". Is this the same CT as described in "Slow-Motion Surrounded Center Tear" or is it yet a third CT method utilized by Richard?

P.P.S. On the cover of "The Perfected Center Tear" manuscript is the phrase"Book Two in Richard Osterlinfd's Professional Entertainers Mystery Series". What is/was Book One (and is it still available)?
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
Hi Jim,
Your and Richard's web-site would be more user-friendly if it included a list of products -- there's a search box, but it seems you have to know what you're looking for to use it. Also, I couldn't find descriptions of, nor any way to order, Richard's new "Mind Mysteries" DVD series which, I understand, includes instructions for the Perfected CT. Any guidance you can offer on how to locate the DVD info would be welcome. Thanks.
DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Turk:

The Perfected Center Tear is the method Richard has evolved in the years since his "Slow-Motion Surrounded Center Tear" was released. While I'm not suggesting one is _better_ than the other (a purely subjective thing, incidentally), it remains that Richard now uses the "Perfected" handling exclusively and has released it to the rest of the mentalism and magic communities.

Regarding the "Ultimate Center Tear," this was Richard's contribution to Al Mann's book, "The Purloined Thought" and preceded the "Slow-Motion" manuscript. Since the Al Mann book is now out of print and is unlikely to be reprinted, we thought it might be a nice idea, for historical reasons, to include this handling in the new book. This isn't to say that the "Ultimate" handling is unworkable or outdated in any way. In fact, some may prefer it. Again, a lot of these things remain purely subjective.

"Book One" in the series is "The Very Modern Mindreader" which is still in print and available from us or from the usual sources.

Thanks for your interest in Richard's materials.

Dave:

Who knew a year ago, when we first launched the site, that we would have this many products already? We do plan to put a master product list on the front page very soon.

Regarding the videos, they are shipping this week and we didn't want to put them up on the site until we had them in hand. That said, please keep an eye out for their appearance as I believe they will be specially priced if the entire set is purchased. I would check back later this week.
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
I saw Richard do the center tear recently and it is very good. Nothing extremely profound, but definately solid. If you're looking for center tear specifically, I would get the booklet since there is more info on center tear specific stuff in it, as opposed to the video. (according to Mr. Osterlind)

Matt
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Jim,

first let me appologize, I did mean the "old" Osterlind center tear which I found not satisfactory (to my needs) and not the new version. I am sorry for this mistake.

as for the Lee Earle version - I am completely aware it is strongly based on the Baker move - having both the book and the Video I can tell you for 100% that the video is a better "teacher". I know most people like books over videos, but a center tear is an excellent example (as for other kinds of magic) for the superiority of video over text. it has nothing to do with my ability to understand the text or the level of my performance.

I haven't seen the new Osterlind tear (I will when I get the DVDs) but so far the Lee Earle version, including the fine points he mentions in his teach-in video work best for me.

Nir

P.S. you can use my first name, we are all friends here, even if we have different opinions.
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
As I noted in another thread, Richard's CT is particulary good for those who have "dry hands." I have switched from what I had been using (my modification of Stride's which was also good for "dry Hands"), because it took less tears. I also recently had the pleasure of seeing Richard lecture on his tear and saw it close up. I would recommend to anyone to give it a try. I think you will like it.

I also got the book. As has been stated, it has other material that is well worth examining, as well as, his old center tear, so you can make a comparison. It is a bargain.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
playzure
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of playzure
This is a great technique and fairly easy to learn
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Buy the DVDs they are brilliant,with astounding routines.You won't be sorry.
Andre
ajcombri@telkomsa.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Richard Osterlind "The Perfected Center Tear" (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL